+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sherman: 'To Those Who Would Call Me a Thug or Worse …'

Richard Sherman explains the Crabtree incident:

Here’s what happened …

I spent most of the game on an island: I was targeted only twice during the entire NFC Championship. The first produced a BS holding call against me; the second ended the game. Michael Crabtree stutter-stepped out of his break on first down and sprinted toward the end zone. I was in good position for a pick until he pushed me in the back. My interception became a tip and an interception for Malcolm Smith in the end zone.

Game over. The Seahawks are in the Super Bowl.

I ran over to Crabtree to shake his hand but he ignored me. I patted him, stuck out my hand and said, “Good game, good game.” That’s when he shoved my face, and that’s when I went off.

I threw a choking sign at 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Why? Because he decided he was going to try the guy he was avoiding all game, because, I don’t know, he’s probably not paying attention for the game-winning play. C’mon, you’re better than that.

It was loud, it was in the moment, and it was just a small part of the person I am. I don’t want to be a villain, because I’m not a villainous person. When I say I’m the best cornerback in football, it’s with a caveat: There isn’t a great defensive backfield in the NFL that doesn’t have a great front seven. Everything begins with pressure up front, and that’s what we get from our pass rushers every Sunday. To those who would call me a thug or worse because I show passion on a football field—don’t judge a person’s character by what they do between the lines. Judge a man by what he does off the field, what he does for his community, what he does for his family.

But people find it easy to take shots on Twitter, and to use racial slurs and bullying language far worse than what you’ll see from me. It’s sad and somewhat unbelievable to me that the world is still this way, but it is. I can handle it.
    Sherman also goes on to detail his history with Crabtree, and his disdain for the way Navorro Bowman was treated by the Seattle crowd. Worth a read.

the explaining is worse than the original clowning

America loves a villain and right now Sherman is portrayed as a villain to some.
    He's everything that the sports media hate, a brash, in your face player who doesn't hide who he is.
    People are attacking him left and right and so far he's taking it all in stride. You're feeding what is an already competitive personality.

He also touched on the Bowman incident, which makes me sick. The guy is going to the locker room with what looked like a serious injury and some classless morons throw food on him. I would expect that from Philly fans, they would have thrown a couch onto the field if they were given the chance. But not Seattle fans, I always looked at them as a devoted fan base that loves their team.

Banned
    desperation explanation after he knew he screwed up

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorCrue View Post
    desperation explanation after he knew he screwed up
    I don't feel that way.
    But again, I don't think he was a thug in the first place.

MUCH better.

I was one that called him a "punk" on twitter. But he did not reply. Apparently Spencer Paysinger did not like my words towards the Seahawks, especially Sherman. Paysinger and I went back and forth a few tweets. He told me he would pray for me. Paysinger commented on my avi on my twitter, calling it his Superbowl ring. My avi is a pic of the Giants superbowl ring from 2011.

I told him he hardly contributed much to earn that ring and that he needs to worry about his job with the Giants. When he kept bragging on Sherman and his actions, I told Paysinger to go play for the Seahawks if he loves them and Sherman so much.

Several other followers of Sherman and Paysinger commented(not in a nice way) on my tweets.

Needless to say, I was wrong, ignorant, and classless with my tweets. I have apologized to Paysinger, Sherman, and any of the followers of either that were offended.

Not one time did I leave any racist comments on Sherman's twitter page though.

Paysinger commented back on my apology and said all is good.
    I had no dog in that fight yesterday, should have kept my comments to myself. It's only a game, all of us fans, me included, need not take it so serious.

That said, I hope the Broncos win the big game, and Sherman gets beat for a TD or 2.
    One day, not today, not tomorrow, not this season, probably not next season either but one day, you and I are gonna wake up and suddenly we're gonna be like every other team in every other sport where winning is everything and nothing else matters. And when that day comes, well thats, thats when we'll honor them--Jack Lengyel Marshall University

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime View Post
    America loves a villain and right now Sherman is portrayed as a villain to some.
    He's everything that the sports media hate, a brash, in your face player who doesn't hide who he is.
    People are attacking him left and right and so far he's taking it all in stride. You're feeding what is an already competitive personality.

He also touched on the Bowman incident, which makes me sick. The guy is going to the locker room with what looked like a serious injury and some classless morons throw food on him. I would expect that from Philly fans, they would have thrown a couch onto the field if they were given the chance. But not Seattle fans, I always looked at them as a devoted fan base that loves their team.
    Actually, he is exactly what the sports media loves. The sports media thrives on controversy.That is why Erin Andrews went to get an interview with him.

The Bowman incident was disgusting. It is on par with Washington Redskins fans throwing trash at LeShean McCoy when he was being carried off on a stretcher at FedEx Field.

Everyone is making this a bigger deal then it really is. He did, what he did, forget about it. He said he was the best corner in the league...is anyone going to deny that? He said Crabtree was mediocre and he's right go look at his stats. I loved what he did. He brings personality to the game, instead of giving a politically correct answer.

BJ did the same thing to Rex Ryan and we all loved it...
    Last edited by Eliscruzzz; 01-20-2014 at 11:34 PM.
    Should the Giants fire Gilbride....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONL7L...yer_detailpage

Don't know why you felt you had to apologize for stating your opinion. You were absolutely correct that Paysinger had little or nothing to do with the Giants SB victory. I agree with you that Sherman is either a punk or doing a very good impersonation of a punk to get publicity. Either way I am no fan of the guy and will be rooting hard for the Broncos.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyArcher View Post
    Don't know why you felt you had to apologize for stating your opinion. You were absolutely correct that Paysinger had little or nothing to do with the Giants SB victory. I agree with you that Sherman is either a punk or doing a very good impersonation of a punk to get publicity. Either way I am no fan of the guy and will be rooting hard for the Broncos.
    well I was mostly apologizing for the comments I made towards Sherman. I not only called him a punk(which I still support), but I mentioned that I hoped that Sherman blow out his knee in the superbowl or fall off the face of the earth. That part of the comment was wrong, I should not have wished injury or worse to a player, even if he acts like or is a punk.

As for Paysinger, yeah he did not contribute too much to that 2011 ring. I almost called him a mediocre LB, kind of how Sherman called Crabtree a mediocre WR.

I think Paysinger was standing up for a fellow brother in the NFL. But if he does move on from the Giants, who knows, maybe he gets signed as a FA by the Hawks, and can be a back-up or ST there.
    One day, not today, not tomorrow, not this season, probably not next season either but one day, you and I are gonna wake up and suddenly we're gonna be like every other team in every other sport where winning is everything and nothing else matters. And when that day comes, well thats, thats when we'll honor them--Jack Lengyel Marshall University