+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

What about trading ELI for a 1st to some team?

If we really want to blow it up, we could look into(not definetly do) a trade for ELI, and get a additonal 1st rd pick, and ELI is gonna be 33 after this yr, and has been on downswing for a couple yrs and as statue as hes always been, hes losing more footspeed, which i never thought possible. Hes almost Drew Bledsoe out there right now.. In his prime he was a high INT% QB, and now is past his prime. Hes been a great GIANT qb, but this is a bussiness, and getting as many young studs to go along with the Prince's, JPP's, Cruz's..etc, is the way to go.. Were really light on top flight talent, and need to start building a new foudnation.

Thats how i feel, and i love everything ELI's done for us. Multiple 1st rd picks, and a qb whos developing as we speak all ready in Nassib(not that i love em, but still). We could go many diffrent ways, plus we'd have Nicks off the books, and hopefully Webster and Baas.. We could resign LInval Joseph and go from there..

Veteran
    Stop with this nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by talbot View Post
    Stop with this nonsense.
    That's right. Stop it now! What GM would trade a 1st round pick for the leader of INTs? Let's get serious here.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsforce View Post
    That's right. Stop it now! What GM would trade a 1st round pick for the leader of INTs? Let's get serious here.
    most GMs are smart enough to realize a QB's stats are directly related to the players and coaches surrounding him.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsforce View Post
    I don't know about GM's but theres tons of fans on here who seem to think ELI for a 1st would be a bad idea and we should keep em. I guess you think alot of people aren't serious then?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    I don't know about GM's but theres tons of fans on here who seem to think ELI for a 1st would be a bad idea and we should keep em. I guess you think alot of people aren't serious then?
    You know in retrospect, you maybe right. I remember how Jimmy Johnson was ridiculed when he traded his star player, Hershel Walker, to the Vikings for 5 players and 6 draft picks which they used to rebuilt the team. In the long term Jimmy did the right thing. However, trading Eli now that he is on the decline, I do not think he will generate much interest because whoever gets him will have to make sure that they upgrade the O-line too and that will be costly. Now why on earth the Giants placed so much faith on DD, Baas and Beatty, I have no idea other than the salary cap predicament that Reese created by paying a lot of money to players that do not deserve it..

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    The sad reality is that there is no way we could get a 1st round pick for him.
    I guess someone might surrender a 2nd round pick for Eli.
    Eli needs good players around him to succeed. Teams with good players tend to already have good QB's.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Eli needs good players around him to succeed. Teams with good players tend to already have good QB's.
    Houston, maybe Tampa but Schiano is going to get fired anyway.

Oh god, i didn't even want to mention that i'd do it for a 2nd rd pick, and maybe a 6th or 7th..lol I watch as teams waste yrs on QB's who just don't have it like they did or the talent around em erodes as money is mostlwy invested in the QB..etc Its time to start over , and start with a bang, by having a heap of early rd draft picks.

I think one team would see ELI like some of the fans on this thread would and would cave into a 1st rd selection. A team like the Jaguars for instance? All of a sudden they have ELi throwing Blackmon and Shorts and Mercedes Lewis the ball and they got a top 5pick and a top 5 LT in Joeckl all ready on board. It would probably give life to MJD as well, weather he stayed or not, would be diffrent story. Point is, the upside for a franchise like Jax is worth at least a 2nd rd pick, which would basically be a end of 1st rder..

I'm trying to figure out what you are saying here.

At first glace, it looks like you are saying that Eli can be successful if there are good players around him, which I agree with completely.

It's the second part that had me thrown off: this is just an observation about a trade, and not really anything more than that, right?

My assumption would be that surrounding Eli with a stout o-line would allow for him to be successful, and the fact that we can neither pass nor run with the current o-line backs that theory up. There are teams with no QB and a stout o-line (Cleveland would be an excellent example).

But here's the glitch in all this: trading Eli and not fixing the o-line leaves you in a worse position then the one we are in now. Fixing the 0=line would solve the problem on a short term basis (in terms of Eli), right?
    This space for rent