+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    If we lose next week, I'd take just about anything for Nicks if I were JR.

Also depends on the extent to which they feel Nicks is re-signable (what a poorly written sentence, lol).
    I just don't see it happening. Nicks is one of my favorite Giants but we have bigger priorities over having two highly paid receivers on the team.

This is a thread I expected from jakk. LoL your credibility took a hit here. I want to see Eli in a better system before we even entertain this thought.

Bench Player
    Remember Eli has a say in where he plays. He would want to play for a contender, would you swap Houston's qb for Eli? Don't think so but Houston would benefit with Eli Manning under center. The problems on this team are not Eli Manning's fault. These problems are from a front office that has had its head in the sand for 2 years. This o line was bad too years ago and not addressed then or now. It is a team sport, yes a qb driven league but no qb including Eli's brother or Tom Brady, could be successful behind this line. Eli is throwing picks trying to win. He is having to force early throws because of the constant pressure. His receivers do not have time to get open. He is having to anticipate where they will be and then throwing way too early. Defenses know what the Giants are going to do before they snap the ball, with no fear of a running game. It has been said you build a football team from the line of scrimmage out. Think about the problems the Giants have and it stems to the offense and defensive lines. When the Giants won sb"s, their offensive and defensive lines were adequate. Eli has shown he can win with a little help. Unfortunately, he has little help now. Routes have got to changed, offensive philosophy has to change to work with the o line as it is, today. Gilbride cannot change and neither will Coghlan. Picking, at the end of the draft the last 5 years, has caught up with the Giants. No free agent signings on the o line are now killing the Giants. Eli Manning has not lost a step nor has his arm grown weaker. He will be able to play at least as long as Peyton, provided he is given weapons to win. The question is how long will it take to rebuild this o line and get a pass rush. Can Eli survive, long enough for that to happen. If he gets hurt, then the Giants might as well not show up for the rest of the season. He has proven he is durable and can win when he has protection. Again the blame falls on the front office and perhaps they did all they could with the picks they had. Look at the replay of the offensive line and you would shutter at how bad they were the last 2 weeks. I have seen division 2 teams with better o lines. Even as bad as the o line is playing, that is no excuse for the lack of a pass rush. The d line has not come near to playing to potential, and in fact has been the under achievers of this team. The d backfield actually has played well , considering the lack of a pass rush.

All-Pro
    Even if you have given up on the season you don't trade Eli... unless you have given up on the next 3-4 years. As frustrated as I am, it is very tempting to agree with the fire sale approach, but that makes very little sense to me logically.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

I really don't get this whole "Eli's gonna be really old by the time we rebuild" mantra that's going around here. This is the NFL, where the 2-14 Colts became a playoff team the following year! And we already have a franchise QB in place!

You guys act like this is baseball where it takes 5 years to re-tool a team. The OL can be hugely improved by signing 1 good FA and drafting a good player. The defense has already shown significant signs of improvement, despite the score of the last game.

Receivers are there, Wilson is still young and there are always capable RBs' available in FA.

You'd be surprised what one really good offseason can do for a team. Particularly if they get some high draft picks.
    All Hail The New York Giants!!

Banned
    I don't think it's quite time to trade him but I do believe we need to find his successor before it's too late. What if this play continues next yr? I don't think Nassib is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    If we really want to blow it up, we could look into(not definetly do) a trade for ELI, and get a additonal 1st rd pick, and ELI is gonna be 33 after this yr, and has been on downswing for a couple yrs and as statue as hes always been, hes losing more footspeed, which i never thought possible. Hes almost Drew Bledsoe out there right now.. In his prime he was a high INT% QB, and now is past his prime. Hes been a great GIANT qb, but this is a bussiness, and getting as many young studs to go along with the Prince's, JPP's, Cruz's..etc, is the way to go.. Were really light on top flight talent, and need to start building a new foudnation.

Thats how i feel, and i love everything ELI's done for us. Multiple 1st rd picks, and a qb whos developing as we speak all ready in Nassib(not that i love em, but still). We could go many diffrent ways, plus we'd have Nicks off the books, and hopefully Webster and Baas.. We could resign LInval Joseph and go from there..
    Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I can agree, but I don't know if I would get rid of him just now. One thing I can say is that at his status it seems like coaches don't talk to him about correcting his game. It seems like he is turning into the old Eli before winning the Super Bowl. He's holding the ball too long & throwing up too many prayers. But, I can't blame all of it on Eli it's the poor play calling too. And Eli always benefited from having a solid tight end. Meyer sucks.

Even if they wanted to move on from Eli, the thing they would do is release him and let him pick where he wants to go. Like the colts did with peyton

Banned
    People wondered why I was so high on Luck a few drafts ago. QB's like him don't come a dime a dozen and even though I was upset at the time, deep down inside I really wanted that kid... obviously so did the Colts. We eventually went on and the won the Superbowl and the rest is history.

Anyway, drafting a QB isn't out of the question imo...especially when you got a chance to grab a highly efficient one like Bridgewater. Manziel is a great college player but there's a reason he isn't so high on a lot of scout teams list. GB drafted Rodgers early and it worked out to their benefit. Favre and Eli have a whole lot in common at this stage in his career and I'm not one of those fans that opposes finding Eli's replacement sooner rather than later. I wouldn't trade him yet though.