+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    So what is Jerry Reese's fault?
    I'm reading he is the brain child behind two Super Bowl trophies. Tom Coughlin, Eli Manning.. Step aside, without Mr Reese you two would be praying for an opportunity to be champions.
    Strahan, your dream of being a champion came true, who do you want to congratulate? Wait.. Let me answer that for you. Jerry Reese...
    Our team implosions at the end of the season, don't worry Jerry its all Tom Coughlins fault, and lets not forget the players. Its their fault as well, you can rest easy Mr Reese, you won us two championships.
    How bout our linebackers? They are a great bunch of players aren't they? It's not Reese's fault for their lack of productivity, it's the players fault for not being that good. Don't worry Jerry, our tradition of linebackers took a back seat, we won two Super Bowls because of you.
    How bout our offensive line? They make every defense look like the 85 bears, but hey it's their fault, how dare they get old, don't they know Father Time is undefeated?

But who's complaining.... We won two Super Bowls...thanks Jerry!!!
    Last edited by primetime; 10-01-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    He kept both Coughlin and Eli. Lets not pretend either was lighting it up before 07. Pretty much all of NY was calling for Coughlins head after 06. And Eli was probably the most ragged on player in the NFL.

As for current GMs with 2 SB rings? There isnt anyone. Nevermind one with a QB or coach that was there before they became GM
    Plus Reese was on the staff before he was a GM its not like he had nothing to do with the team at all. I have not liked hid recent moves though

Quote Originally Posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
    I didn't say its all luck, but regarding Cruz, Jerry says he had him rated just like all of the other teams. It's right there in his quote!
    UDFA that they brought in...

Nobody else brought Cruz in.

But you could easily broaden this argument for everything.

Seahawks drafted Russel Wilson in the 3rd round.

Means they didnt think Wilson was worth a 1st or 2nd round pick, means they didnt think he was that good, so its just luck that they have him. Right? Same as Sherman and Chancellor and everyone else they drafted late? Not ability in finding good players in late rounds, just total luck any of them were good.
    Last edited by slipknottin; 10-01-2013 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime View Post
    So what is Jerry Reese's fault?
    I'm reading he is the brain child behind two Super Bowl trophies. Tom Coughlin, Eli Manning.. Step aside, without Mr Reese you two would be praying for an opportunity to be champions.
    Strahan, your dream of being a champion came true, who do you want to congratulate? Wait.. Let me answer that for you. Jerry Reese...
    Our team implosions at the end of the season, don't worry Jerry its all Tom Coughlins fault, and lets not forget the players. Its there fault as well, you can rest easy Mr Reese, you won us two championships.
    How bout our linebackers? They are a great bunch of players aren't they? It's not Reese's fault for their lack of productivity, it's the players fault for not being that good. Don't worry Jerry, our tradition of linebackers took a back seat, we won two Super Bowls because of you.
    How bout our offensive line? They make every defense look like the 85 bears, but hey it's their fault, how dare they get old, don't they know Father Time is undefeated?

But who's complaining.... We won two Super Bowls...thanks Jerry!!!
    +1

Bottom line: Accorsi brought in Coughlin and engineered the biggest trade in Giants draft history for one reason: to give this franchise a Coach/QB combination that could win championships. That's exactly what happened....twice.

With all due respect to Reese - and despite slamming him alot, I recognize he's a good GM - there is no way in hell the Giants win 2 Super Bowls without Coughlin & Manning on the team, and they were Ernie's guys.

People can feel free to decide for themselves how much credit Reese should get for 2007 and 2011. In my opinion, he deserves some of the credit for complementing Accorsi's team with a very good 2007 draft and some solid free agents. In 2011, some of his guys again helped the team. But in 2011, the warning signs were already starting to flash with this offensive line, and if not for Eli having an insane season, they would have missed the playoffs entirely.

This team is 0-4 right now, and the main reason is because the offensive line is in a shambles. That line was built by Accorsi, Reese has had 7 years to address it, and the 2013 version is the result.

As far as the linebackers are concerned, it's fair to say years of neglect have taken their toll. This position was a need back in 2010....3 years later, the situation is even worse.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 10-01-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by primetime View Post
    how dare they get old, don't they know Father Time is undefeated?
    Good GM's understand player age and declining productivity. Reese does not.

Quote Originally Posted by moosedrool View Post
    Good GM's understand player age and declining productivity. Reese does not.
    Ravens had the oldest roster in the league last year, won the SB.

Giants won the SB in 11 with the oldest roster in the league.

I think Reese understands it fine.

Ravens had the oldest roster in the league last year, won the SB.

Giants won the SB in 11 with the oldest roster in the league.

It's never easy maintaining a championship team, but it's up to the GM to be bringing in guys that can come on line when older guys age out or get injured.

That's been Reese's biggest failure....the offensive line being Exhibit A.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

All-Pro
    So this year seems like it will be a total disaster. It's the only season he has had like this since becoming the GM. He has also helped build two Championship teams. Let's see who he cuts and who he brings in next year. They should get some high draft picks. Two Championships is way better than one bad season.

He obviously doesn't. If he did he wouldn't have went into the year with 4 OL over age 30.

Quote Originally Posted by moosedrool View Post
    He obviously doesn't. If he did he wouldn't have went into the year with 4 OL over age 30.
    Agreed....I have no problems running with older starters....but you need something in the pipeline, and Reese didn't.

- Emlen Tunnell