+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilbride needs to get the plays to Eli faster, or let Eli take control:

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Why are these 2 guys still not on the same page? They have been working together for how long now? And yet, just like the start of the game last week, these 2 seem to have no idea what the play is until the play clock is about 15 seconds. Why is that?

This leaves not much time for Eli to make adjustments, which he almost always does. He seems to be forced to make a snap quicker then he likes to because he doesnt get the play to the team until more then half the play clock is gone.

Defenses seem to tee off on the snap count because they just wait for it to get down to 1 or 2 seconds. They get a better jump on an already struggling oline.

It makes no sense.

I see every other team in the NFL and there QB is lined up under the center or in a shotgun and have like 20 seconds left.

Why cant Eli and Gilbride? What is the malfunction? Im seriously asking this. This is not a Lets bash Gilbride thread, but I am seriously baffled why this continues to happen and why nothing is being done to fix it.
    Having the green dot should make it pretty quick. Is it the time in the huddle to make sure everyone is on the same play? Eli seems to me to spend an lot of time at the LOS reading the defense.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    My biggest beef with how we call plays is directly related to this. The Giants have a very bad habit of taking away their snap advantage. By that, I mean the advantage of knowing when the ball will be snapped.

They do this with 3 bad habits:

1) Omaha - it has been well documented that Omaha = snap the ball on the next hut. Occasionally we put a variation in, but not enough to change defense's minds.
    Omaha is a "key" word

its meaning changes by formation, personnel package & down and distance multiple times per game.....it also changes by syllable

watch a Packer game and listen for 3-19

they use 3-19 as the Giants and Saints use Omaha

it is not as it seems to be from a spectator standpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    It's interesting.

Reporters asked Eli after the game did the crowd noise affect him in the beginning (He was struggling with getting the play calls out), and he said it was loud, but it wasn't an issue, they said the team actually prepared for it.

So I don't know, I've always thought we were incredibly slow on offense. I don't know who's at "fault" for that however.

In the beginning of the game last week, Eli was motioning that he couldn't hear the play call. The announcers assumed his radio wasn't working. Then the sideline reporter chimed in a few plays later saying that the radio was working fine but they had to turn the volume up.

Incidentally on the one play that Eli clearly didn't get a play from the sideline, he stepped to the line of scrimmage and called a shotgun draw. Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    Omaha is a "key" word

its meaning changes by formation, personnel package & down and distance multiple times per game.....it also changes by syllable

watch a Packer game and listen for 3-19

they use 3-19 as the Giants and Saints use Omaha

it is not as it seems to be from a spectator standpoint
    Definitely. But it seems it has been used in the same manner for a while now - to indicate the play clock is under 5 seconds: "Omaha... omaha- set". It's used to alert the O that the play clock is running out and they need to snap the ball even if Eli is in the middle of calling an audible.

They might modify it game- to-game to include/exclude "set" and "hut" in a panic/hurry snap situation.

It's not the "how" they use this that bothers me (as you say every team does it in their own way) - but it's the amount of times they use it in a game that is alarming. Renders useless whatever the snap count they determined inside the huddle.
    #80 true blue

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    My biggest beef with how we call plays is directly related to this. The Giants have a very bad habit of taking away their snap advantage. By that, I mean the advantage of knowing when the ball will be snapped.

They do this with 3 bad habits:

1) Omaha - it has been well documented that Omaha = snap the ball on the next hut. Occasionally we put a variation in, but not enough to change defense's minds.

2) The playclock - We seem to be constantly snapping the as the playclock expires. If the defense knows you have 1 second or less to snap the ball, they can get incredible jumps both in the trenches and on the outside.

3) Eli used to be good at voice inflection and causing defensive offsides, he has forgotten this tool. I do not blame him ,as being murdered every play does negatively effect your memory. But maybe a coach could remind him sometime...
    1) Omaha - I don't think that's true, it just means its live on the next "set" of huts ( I think), which is a big difference

2) Agreed - whenever this offense is rolling along, everyone's all line up with about 7-9 seconds on the clock.

3) Usually happens when ^^^ - time left to work with.

I think it was as early as the first drive that Eli had his hands up in the universal sign for "WTF" towards the sideline. Maybe we try scripting the first 12-15 plays, **** that's 4-5 drives worth of plays!!
    Last edited by Ruttiger711; 10-02-2013 at 03:30 PM.
    "...gently down the loser stream!!"

--80--

you guys clearly don't understand key words ......and I really don't care to sit here and explain how they work to you

Omaha is a part of Eli....as well as many other QBs in the leagues cadence

like I said go watch some Packer highlights ....on every single snap you will here ....and I quote

"3-19, 3-19 "

two times in a row.....every single snap

Giants break out of the huddle late compared to other teams. For a scheme that influences sight adjustments, I don't get what's beneficial about breaking so late, unless they think they're gaining an edge by not showing their look until the latest possible moment (and preventing the D from making adjustments).

Maybe this is Gilbride/Coughlin's thinking, and they care less about the snap count and Omahas.

IMO, a mix would be nice. Mix of tempo, snap counts, show your hand early, don't show your hand early, a game of cat and mouse.
    #80 true blue

you guys clearly don't understand key words ......and I really don't care to sit here and explain how they work to you

like I said go watch some Packer highlights ....on every single snap you will here ....and I quote

"3-19, 3-19 "

Before every single snap? I only notice it when the playclock is winding down. My bad if I'm wrong
    #80 true blue

"3-19, 3-19 "

Eli also uses "alert" "alert" which I take for a change in the play called
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by Helmet View Post
    Giants break out of the huddle late compared to other teams. For a scheme that influences sight adjustments, I don't get what's beneficial about breaking so late, unless they think they're gaining an edge by not showing their look until the latest possible moment (and preventing the D from making adjustments).

Maybe this is Gilbride/Coughlin's thinking, and they care less about the snap count and Omahas.

IMO, a mix would be nice. Mix of tempo, snap counts, show your hand early, don't show your hand early, a game of cat and mouse.
    I admit to being on the short bus when it comes to x's and o's, but with Eli being the franchise guy, is it out of the question to suggest a lot of what we see is either to use Eli's strengths or to because Eli wants it that way?

# 80

+ Reply to Thread