+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 66
  1. #51
    Moderator YATittle1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Uncle YA
    Posts
    18,669
    watching the film Eli uses a whole lot more of "180" and "5-18" this season

    and it sure does seem like "Omaha" does get used when the clock is low.....but there are multiple times when the clock is low ...down to2, 3 or 4 seconds where "Omaha" is not used.

    so this leads me to believe that it is not used because Eli feels he can fit the whole original cadence in before zero.......and "Omaha" skips straight to the snap count when there is not time for the full cadence

    so this has me more confused than before I watched the film because I have sat and listened to the coaches install a weeks definitions....and "Omaha" had multiple meanings that week
    Last edited by YATittle1962; 10-03-2013 at 02:59 PM.

  2. #52
    All-Pro Rudyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    29,932
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    A City in Nebraska

    I wish he would change it to Punxsutawney
    Lol

    Let's go.

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Geebanga718 View Post


    My O-line is like a box of chocolates
    LOL, LOL, LOL!!! Well done!

  4. #54
    Veteran Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    watching the film Eli uses a whole lot more of "180" and "5-18" this season

    and it sure does seem like "Omaha" does get used when the clock is low.....but there are multiple times when the clock is low ...down to2, 3 or 4 seconds where "Omaha" is not used.

    so this leads me to believe that it is not used because Eli feels he can fit the whole original cadence in before zero.......and "Omaha" skips straight to the snap count when there is not time for the full cadence

    so this has me more confused than before I watched the film because I have sat and listened to the coaches install a weeks definitions....and "Omaha" had multiple meanings that week
    YA- decent of you to go through the film and follow up on this. When did you sit in on the coaches' meeting?

    I don't remember if it was Aikman or Collinsworth, but maybe 4 or 5 years ago they were opining that "omaha" (uttered once, followed by whatever) was Eli calling an audible. Which I thought was stupid at the time, because as you say, the keyword's definition changed from game to game.

    But it just seems to have evolved to being used in these "Oh ****, no time" situations


    Draught night

  5. #55
    Veteran Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post

    But even if you take the 'Omaha" out of the equation, my initial point still stands. We have a very bad habit of freely giving away the "snap advantage" on offense. We aren't alone, a number of NFL teams do this, but we are 1 of the worst offenders. For a team that is sound up front this isn't a big deal. But we are really struggling in the trenches and giving away any advantage, even a small 1, is a bad decision.
    I agree. And giving Eli sufficient time to get a full read on the D, get through his whole cadence and call out protections - our line can use all the help it can get at this point.


    Draught night

  6. #56
    Hall of Famer Harooni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Think Big Rudy
    Posts
    57,885
    every 6 months i see this same topic, and i will ask , what makes everyone so sure Eli is capable of running the entire offense? obviously his decisions aren't always the best ones. the 2min drill works because it catches the D off guard and it works when trailing because teams back off to protect a lead. when teams stay aggressive it doesnt seem to work well. if we ran it all the time it would lose its effectiveness.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails."
    - William Arthur Ward -

  7. #57
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    95,511
    Let's get back to basics. The coach(es) can talk to Eli when the 40 second play clock starts. The communications are turned off at the 15 second mark. So any adjustments after the first 25 seconds are being made by Eli on his own. I don't have anything scientific to support this, but I feel Eli is at the LOS by the 15 second mark most of the time. So is there really a persistent delay from the coaches?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  8. #58
    All-Pro TheAnalyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    6,467
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Let's get back to basics. The coach(es) can talk to Eli when the 40 second play clock starts. The communications are turned off at the 15 second mark. So any adjustments after the first 25 seconds are being made by Eli on his own. I don't have anything scientific to support this, but I feel Eli is at the LOS by the 15 second mark most of the time. So is there really a persistent delay from the coaches?
    Do they really turn it off after 25 seconds? Never knew that. So if Eli gets the call at 15 seconds, it takes about 5 seconds to spit it back out to the team in the huddle, then 5 seconds to line up and a couple seconds to snap. Seems about right.


    5trive for Fiv5

  9. #59
    Hall of Famer Harooni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Think Big Rudy
    Posts
    57,885
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Let's get back to basics. The coach(es) can talk to Eli when the 40 second play clock starts. The communications are turned off at the 15 second mark. So any adjustments after the first 25 seconds are being made by Eli on his own. I don't have anything scientific to support this, but I feel Eli is at the LOS by the 15 second mark most of the time. So is there really a persistent delay from the coaches?
    agreed , its on Eli he has the southern slow step and he takes time setting his protection(which he is really good at) but its time consuming.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails."
    - William Arthur Ward -

  10. #60
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    95,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    agreed , its on Eli he has the southern slow step and he takes time setting his protection(which he is really good at) but its time consuming.
    The "southern slow step." You are a gem lol
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts