+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    We are a middle of the road talent team that is greatly underperforming.

To make the playoffs we needed to outperform our talent.

A few things come to mind when evaluating the 2013 Giants.

1. For the last six years we had a very good offensive line. Now our Oline is just offensive. That drops all of the O grades.
    2. Reese made a huge mistake letting Bennett go. And an even bigger one evaluating draftable LB talent over the years. How is it every team in the league has a decent linebacker except us? Not one.
    3. Special teams? Not very special.
    4. Big name players on defense? Not making big plays. Pass rush? More like past rush.
    5. D coordinator living and dying with a non existent pass rush without making any effective adjustments? Check.
    6. O coordinator not going to the no huddle to shake things up? Check.
    7. QB making poor decisions because he's trying to do too much? Check.
    8. Beleaguered head coach without answers? Check.

Check please.

So Jomo, when you ask a fair question about the talent level of this team, I ask you what good is unrealized talent with all of these inadequacies?

Quote Originally Posted by Roswell777 View Post
    A few things come to mind when evaluating the 2013 Giants.

1. For the last six years we had a very good offensive line. Now our Oline is just offensive. That drops all of the O grades.
    2. Reese made a huge mistake letting Bennett go. And an even bigger one evaluating draftable LB talent over the years. How is it every team in the league has a decent linebacker except us? Not one.
    3. Special teams? Not very special.
    4. Big name players on defense? Not making big plays. Pass rush? More like past rush.
    5. D coordinator living and dying with a non existent pass rush without making any effective adjustments? Check.
    6. O coordinator not going to the no huddle to shake things up? Check.
    7. QB making poor decisions because he's trying to do too much? Check.
    8. Beleaguered head coach without answers? Check.

Check please.

So Jomo, when you ask a fair question about the talent level of this team, I ask you what good is unrealized talent with all of these inadequacies?
    Unrealized talent is no talent at all IMO. It is like past talent (still on the team) yapping at us week in week out. Blah, blah, blah. All that matters is production and we aren't producing. My opinion is that we have a bunch of money sunk into some guys who may be done.........Snee, Bass (ugh nothing for our money), Tuck and maybe Beatty + JPP. That is going to take some work and a few years to dig out. At that point we will have to be worrying about our next QB. So, JR has his work cut out for him undoing much of the damage we've incurred over the past 4 years or so through the draft.
    No one remembers who came in second.

i actually think we're a fairly talented team .. above average, if not "good". it just sucks that our worst talent is all at the same position - oline. If we had even an average oline, we'd be winning.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    i actually think we're a fairly talented team .. above average, if not "good". it just sucks that our worst talent is all at the same position - oline. If we had even an average oline, we'd be winning.
    That is probably true. With an average OL we would be at least 2-2. How long have we known that there was a looming problem on the OL? 4 or 5 years right? And who decided that Beatty was first worth a high draft choice and then after his first contract was up (with not much to show for it other than sitting on the bench and injured) that he was worth a big contract?

Yes I agree that it is frustrating that our main lack of talent is loaded in one unit BUT it is more frustrating for me that the GM made bad decision after bad decision in this area over 4 years to put us in this spot. Petrus, Brewer, etal grrrrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    That is probably true. With an average OL we would be at least 2-2. How long have we known that there was a looming problem on the OL? 4 or 5 years right? And who decided that Beatty was first worth a high draft choice and then after his first contract was up (with not much to show for it other than sitting on the bench and injured) that he was worth a big contract?

Yes I agree that it is frustrating that our main lack of talent is loaded in one unit BUT it is more frustrating for me that the GM made bad decision after bad decision in this area over 4 years to put us in this spot. Petrus, Brewer, etal grrrrrr.
    I'm a JR homer, but he seriously messed up there. I mean, the # of picks we wasted on OLinemen and not one of them (except Beatty who's now not living up to his contract) has panned out. He needs to buy some tackle glasses or something.

I think we knew our oline was aging but we always had more pressing issues in the past. WR, Secondary/CB, etc. Everyone saw it coming, but the oline definitely was not a priority. I think we were just hoping to find another gem or barely scrape by like we did in 2011.

Now it's biting us in the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    I'm a JR homer, but he seriously messed up there. I mean, the # of picks we wasted on OLinemen and not one of them (except Beatty who's now not living up to his contract) has panned out. He needs to buy some tackle glasses or something.

I think we knew our oline was aging but we always had more pressing issues in the past. WR, Secondary/CB, etc. Everyone saw it coming, but the oline definitely was not a priority. I think we were just hoping to find another gem or barely scrape by like we did in 2011.

Now it's biting us in the butt.
    All very well stated. I don't mean to kill the guy because he obviously saw it coming but the number of mistakes he's made in trying to reload the OL is breath taking.

Tony Dungy said after the loss this past sunday that he thinks the Giants just don't have enough talented players to win in the NFL...

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    If the winless Detroit Lions were a 1, and the 2007 Regular Season Patriots were a 100.......I'd grade the Giants as a 40.

Just to be a goofball and run with this a bit....here is how I'd grade them for their performance so far this year.

Offensive line: 10 (awful)
    Linebackers: 20 (can't stop run, blitz, cover running backs, or tight ends, but otherwise some really nice guys).
    Defensive ends: 40 (JPP has been nonfactor, Tuck has been okay, Kiwi has struggled)
    Defensive tackles: 70 (good all around efforts, would be higher if they had some backup).
    Wide receivers: 50 (some good plays, but miscommunications, dropped balls, etc....need to do alot better because rest of the team needs it).
    Corners: 70 (overall pretty good....given up some big pass plays but it's expected in this arena league.
    Safeties: 60 (again, not bad....Mundy has been a bright spot).
    Punting: 30 (some really sloppy stuff that has hurt the team).
    Kicking: 30 (Josh Brown letting the team down with deflating misses on easy opportunities.....has to do better or get cut asap).
    Special Teams coverage: 20 (given up some huge plays.....mistakes galore)
    QB: 50 (Eli has been swamped, but he's made some unforced errors and is holding on to the ball too long as well).

Coaching: 60 (not much to work with, but they need to make adjustments and takes some chances with the young guys).
    GM: 20 (misread team talent, left gaping holes on offense and defense)
    +1
    Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

Quote Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
    Tony Dungy said after the loss this past sunday that he thinks the Giants just don't have enough talented players to win in the NFL...
    we do, we just dont have enough good Offensive lineman to win in the NFL, if u look at teh skill players we are loaded