+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giants May Go Younger On Defensive Line

Giants May Go Younger On Defensive Line

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-gia...espnapi_public

Excerpt: "It's not necessarily by choice, but if you look at the New York Giants' defensive line rotation in Sunday's game against the Eagles, you might see a couple of new -- and younger -- faces. Rookies Johnathan Hankins and Damontre Moore could be significant parts of the defensive game plan in Week 5.

Starting defensive tackles Linval Joseph and Cullen Jenkins missed practice Wednesday due to injuries. Backup Shaun Rogers also sat out with an injury. That led Giants coach Tom Coughlin to mention Hankins, the second-round draft pick who has been on the inactive list for each of the first four games, as a guy who could make his debut Sunday.

"I liked Hankins' work a week ago," Coughlin said. "I thought he was a really difficult guy for us to block in practice from an offensive standpoint, and I really felt like John was ready to contribute, and I feel the same way right now. I'm looking forward to watching him play."

Hankins has been healthy, but has been inactive every game due to the veteran depth the Giants have at defensive tackle. With injuries eating away at that depth, and having had an extra month to develop his NFL game in practice, it may be time for Hankins to show what he can do. Which is ...

"Stopping the run," Hankins said. "That's what they brought me here for. It's not going to be easy against Philadelphia. They have a great running back and a great quarterback who can run. But I am ready for the challenge."

Hankins has impressed his teammates in practice as well.

"Hank has done a good job out there in practice, and our confidence level in him is huge," defensive end Justin Tuck said. "He was a second-round draft pick for a reason, and I think he can get the job done." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

this season is going to be a bleak one, get the kids some reps.

It's about freaking time. Get my boy Big Hank in there, Fewell you imgrate
    " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY Yes Bills contry what can I do its where I live
    At 0-4 what could it hurt to test the young blood. I had to chuckle that our O-line was having trouble blocking him. Not exactly a glowing endorsement of his abilities based on their work this year.

Darn it...I misread the title and thought it said we're going younger on offensive line
    Odell Beckham Junior: The future of the Giants

Quote Originally Posted by GiantRoc View Post
    At 0-4 what could it hurt to test the young blood. I had to chuckle that our O-line was having trouble blocking him. Not exactly a glowing endorsement of his abilities based on their work this year.
    LOL....I thought the exact same thing.

My local librarian could give that line fits.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Starter
    I had to chuckle that our O-line was having trouble blocking him. Not exactly a glowing endorsement of his abilities based on their work this year.
    I agree 100%. I had a thought that they might be having a negative effect on the defensive line by not putting forth enough competition during practices. It's really sad to see our d line be so mediocre after being the cornerstone of the d for years. I have been waiting to see what big Hank can add to this defense. Looks like he will finally get his chance against the e girls. I have been very pleased with Moore's energy/effort on special teams. I'm hoping it can translate to some playing time on defense. It's all I have to root for during this crapper of a season

yawn, too little too late. Should have went young sooner rather than later.

I had to chuckle that our O-line was having trouble blocking him. Not exactly a glowing endorsement of his abilities based on their work this year.

I was thinking the same thing. Give these kids a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by sakay View Post
    I agree 100%. I had a thought that they might be having a negative effect on the defensive line by not putting forth enough competition during practices. It's really sad to see our d line be so mediocre after being the cornerstone of the d for years. I have been waiting to see what big Hank can add to this defense. Looks like he will finally get his chance against the e girls. I have been very pleased with Moore's energy/effort on special teams. I'm hoping it can translate to some playing time on defense. It's all I have to root for during this crapper of a season
    What's even more sad is how much Reese invested in dline picks over the years to not have a decent pass rush. Had he picked up a couple of decent linebackers the last few years and it may have bolstered the line. And don't give me that "who was out there to draft bs argument" because there's plenty of 2nd and 3rd year linebackers all over the league. Reese really dropped the ball in certain areas.Theres no defending it.

You can never have to many pass rushers my ***. When your pass rush is neutralized because there's no time to get to the qb and you have no one to cover the screens and quick slants. That statement really sounds foolish.

+ Reply to Thread