+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Most overlooked issue on our offense:

Most overlooked issue on our offense:

Hakeem Nicks.

In KG's scheme, so much is predicated off the #1 WR. See, KG will almost always line Nicks up Iso, with multiple targets on the opposite side of the field with Cruz generally lining up out of the slot.

A lot of the other targets routes are in part determined by how the S plays Nicks. A good example would be the first real big play he had this year, that slant/in cut that he turned up field. All that space was cleared out because of how Randle and Cruz ran their routes on the opposite side of the field.

This has been the base part of KG's scheme going back even when we had Plexico Burress. Now, when that X WR (#1) can threaten opposing defenses and demand that Safety align over the top to give the corner help, our offense opens up so much more. Now, for whatever reason, probably due to Nicks trying to get back to being his old self (which I don't know if that's even a possibility to be honest), he isn't displaying that game breaker type level of play that we have grown accustomed to. He looks to be moving slower still, which was what plagued him last year as well. His explosiveness isn't there yet.

And thus, opposing defenses are now dropping both Safeties and not having to align over the top of Nicks, which then clutters the entire field except for when...you might have guessed it, they are getting downfield and vertical (it naturally spreads the field out and creates space the more field you incorporate into the route, which will give you more room to operate out of, 10 yds or 80 yds, for example) which might be why we seem to be going downfield SOO much.

From what I've interpreted based on what I'm seeing in review of these games, especially the Carolina game, defenses aren't forced into respecting Nicks the way he dictated back in '11. And, not even close really either. We need that aspect back. Remember in '08 when Plex shot himself and we had to use Hixon as the X (#1)? The offense faced the same issues then that it is now. It's just so pivotal to KG's scheme having a #1 that demands the S align over the top of him and dictate the defensive coverage...

Maybe we should give Cruz a shot as the X?????Wild thought I know but he is threatening defenses way more than Nicks is...

For the record, I believe Nicks turns it up and gets back to form. Hopefully this sunday because we can't wait any longer.
    Last edited by giantsfan420; 10-02-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Those drops on Sunday didn't help create fear in the defenders hearts.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    Hakeem Nicks.

In KG's scheme, so much is predicated off the #1 WR. See, KG will almost always line Nicks up Iso, with multiple targets on the opposite side of the field with Cruz generally lining up out of the slot.

A lot of the other targets routes are in part determined by how the S plays Nicks. A good example would be the first real big play he had this year, that slant/in cut that he turned up field. All that space was cleared out because of how Randle and Cruz ran their routes on the opposite side of the field.

This has been the base part of KG's scheme going back even when we had Plexico Burress. Now, when that X WR (#1) can threaten opposing defenses and demand that Safety align over the top to give the corner help, our offense opens up so much more. Now, for whatever reason, probably due to Nicks trying to get back to being his old self (which I don't know if that's even a possibility to be honest), he isn't displaying that game breaker type level of play that we have grown accustomed to. He looks to be moving slower still, which was what plagued him last year as well. His explosiveness isn't there yet.

And thus, opposing defenses are now dropping both Safeties and not having to align over the top of Nicks, which then clutters the entire field except for when...you might have guessed it, they are getting downfield and vertical (it naturally spreads the field out and creates space the more field you incorporate into the route, which will give you more room to operate out of, 10 yds or 80 yds, for example) which might be why we seem to be going downfield SOO much.

From what I've interpreted based on what I'm seeing in review of these games, especially the Carolina game, defenses aren't forced into respecting Nicks the way he dictated back in '11. And, not even close really either. We need that aspect back. Remember in '08 when Plex shot himself and we had to use Hixon as the X (#1)? The offense faced the same issues then that it is now. It's just so pivotal to KG's scheme having a #1 that demands the S align over the top of him and dictate the defensive coverage...

Maybe we should give Cruz a shot as the X?????Wild thought I know but he is threatening defenses way more than Nicks is...

For the record, I believe Nicks turns it up and gets back to form. Hopefully this sunday because we can't wait any longer.
    I agree that the #1 WR is a big part of this offense and yes when Hixon was playing the "#1" the offense stalled, yes Nicks has to play better aswell. However thats 4th or 5th on the chain of why we stink.

1. O-line
    2. KG's refusal to go to a quick pass attack and try to get YAC.
    2a. KG's getting the plays in late and Eli having to go to the 1 or 0 of the play clock.
    3. Lack of Pass Rush
    4. Special teams...EVERYTHING ABOUT IT.
    5. Wilson's need to cut back instead of following his blocks.
    6 Nicks

Nicks is definitely not moving fluidly. Not only does he lack top-end speed, but he gives the impression that he's suffering from arthritis. It appears to be painful for him to move. Something's definitely wrong.

well in his defense you never know where the woobler is going to be , over your head behind you , do you have to slow down or come back to it.

The problem hasn't been Nicks. Its been Eli not getting the time to find the X or Y or Z receivers. That's why the d doesn't have to do much or worry about as much as they did in 2011. Eli for he most part doesn't have time and we have no run game for any team to respect it and put 8 in the box.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth."

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    The problem hasn't been Nicks. Its been Eli not getting the time to find the X or Y or Z receivers. That's why the d doesn't have to do much or worry about as much as they did in 2011. Eli for he most part doesn't have time and we have no run game for any team to respect it and put 8 in the box.
    i dislike how your definitive, without having the necessary info to be definitive imo. Nicks play most certainly is one of the biggest issues thats plaguing our offense. In KG's scheme, going back to his Houston Oiler days, the X WR is the most important because how the WR is played by the safety dictates the rest of the targets and where the ball is thrown. (S aligning over Nicks and doubling him).

Would you have said back in '08 after the shooting incident when our offense sucked like we're seeing now, that the X wr isn't a part of the problem? Because back then I thought lack of a threatening X WR was the biggest factor in why the O wasnt having the success they should.

We need nicks to be more like nicks lol...
    Last edited by giantsfan420; 10-02-2013 at 11:15 PM.

+ Reply to Thread