+ Reply to Thread

Sirius XM: there is precedent for Spags to go to Eagles

Ryan and Kirwan were discussing Spagnuolo, and they were discussing the mechanism whereby Spags could conceivably go to Philly. Sounds like Kirwan and Spags are personally close, but the question arose as to whether there's a fit there for Spags. They said undoubtedly yes, Reid and Lurie are familiar with the mechanism whereby they could bring Spags in with Castillo (if he isn't fired), and transition Castillo out year after next when Spags takes over as DC. Two reasons this could happen: Spags was not the DC in Philly and he might be enticed into that position, and they did the same thing with Morningwig who was brought in with the understanding he would take over for ? Sherman (can't quite remember who was before Morningwig). If Castillo doesn't like it, he can leave, but he would be forfeiting his contract. Then they said that is the most likely thing we'll be seeing in the offseason. I know they could be wrong, but just passing on info to those folks who think we're getting him back. I would welcome him back, but I think that chapter was written and is over already. Time to move on.
    Just when I don't think it can get any worse, I think of you Ray Handjob. I have been to the abyss....thank you for helping me stay positive.

Veteran

Re: Sirius XM: there is precedent for Spags to go to Eagles

[quote user="BigBlueOnes"]Ryan and Kirwan were discussing Spagnuolo, and they were discussing the mechanism whereby Spags could conceivably go to Philly. Sounds like Kirwan and Spags are personally close, but the question arose as to whether there's a fit there for Spags. They said undoubtedly yes, Reid and Lurie are familiar with the mechanism whereby they could bring Spags in with Castillo (if he isn't fired), and transition Castillo out year after next when Spags takes over as DC. Two reasons this could happen: Spags was not the DC in Philly and he might be enticed into that position, and they did the same thing with Morningwig who was brought in with the understanding he would take over for ? Sherman (can't quite remember who was before Morningwig). If Castillo doesn't like it, he can leave, but he would be forfeiting his contract. Then they said that is the most likely thing we'll be seeing in the offseason. I know they could be wrong, but just passing on info to those folks who think we're getting him back. I would welcome him back, but I think that chapter was written and is over already. Time to move on.[/quote]

I believe the offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg replaced was Brad Childress who went on to become head coach of the Vikings.

Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

[quote user="repeatchamps"]

[quote user="BigBlueOnes"]Ryan and Kirwan were discussing Spagnuolo, and they were discussing the mechanism whereby Spags could conceivably go to Philly. Sounds like Kirwan and Spags are personally close, but the question arose as to whether there's a fit there for Spags. They said undoubtedly yes, Reid and Lurie are familiar with the mechanism whereby they could bring Spags in with Castillo (if he isn't fired), and transition Castillo out year after next when Spags takes over as DC. Two reasons this could happen: Spags was not the DC in Philly and he might be enticed into that position, and they did the same thing with Morningwig who was brought in with the understanding he would take over for ? Sherman (can't quite remember who was before Morningwig). If Castillo doesn't like it, he can leave, but he would be forfeiting his contract. Then they said that is the most likely thing we'll be seeing in the offseason. I know they could be wrong, but just passing on info to those folks who think we're getting him back. I would welcome him back, but I think that chapter was written and is over already. Time to move on.[/quote]

I believe the offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg replaced was Brad Childress who went on to become head coach of the Vikings.

[/quote]

That's it!! You're right. Childress knew he was on his way out after the season or two, so it was either take the job or leave. Apparently Reid is open to this mechanism because he likes the transition period. I have to say, if you can financially swing it, it's a solid idea.
    Just when I don't think it can get any worse, I think of you Ray Handjob. I have been to the abyss....thank you for helping me stay positive.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but would Reid really be jumping to bring in a DC that, should the team get off to a sluggish start next year, will be rumored to take his job ASAP?

[quote user="TrueBlue07"]I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but would Reid really be jumping to bring in a DC that, should the team get off to a sluggish start next year, will be rumored to take his job ASAP?
    [/quote]

At this point Reid should or would take anything he could, he's lucky to have a job.