+ Reply to Thread

In case anyone cares, Michael Bennett look very good early:

I really wanted to draft this kid in the 5th when he was there. Some of my original mocks I was thinking about him in the 2nd.

The potential steal of the draft is living up to his billing as Michael Bennett is giving seasoned veterans headaches, and more team news for your Friday morning.

The life of a sixth round pick is never easy, but it's hard not to think otherwise when watching former Ohio State defensive lineman Michael Bennett during training camp practice with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Bennett has consistently created pressure in team and individual drills and frankly, no one is safe from his rush. The Jaguars rookie has physically dominated at times, even when up against starting linemen.
    I really have no idea why he fall as much as he did. Made no sense to me.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/8/...ainst-veterans

Bench Player
    I think the giants passed over alot of players who would have had a way better chance at making the roster than who they picked in the 5,6,and 7th round. Love the giants 1st 3 picks after that I think they reached and didnt have to, some of those players may not have even been drafted.

Considering how crappy the Jags OL is. I'm not impressed yet

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Considering how crappy the Jags OL is. I'm not impressed yet
    Who would YOU have taken in the 5th? Mykkele Thomapson or Michael Bennett? Personally, I think Bennett becomes a starter this season and would have been a great DT for us down the road. Interested to see him in some game time vs the Giants in preseason. A steal in the 5th, yet alone the 6th where he was picked.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Who would YOU have taken in the 5th? Mykkele Thomapson or Michael Bennett? Personally, I think Bennett becomes a starter this season and would have been a great DT for us down the road. Interested to see him in some game time vs the Giants in preseason. A steal in the 5th, yet alone the 6th where he was picked.
    I thought Bennett was massively overrated and had no ability to anchor.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    I thought Bennett was massively overrated and had no ability to anchor.
    He is more of a 3-technique defensive tackle, a pass rusher than an anchor in the middle. 18 sacks in 3 years at Ohio State for a DT is nice. He also ranked top 10 on PFF for interior tackles at stopping the run though.

This is one slide that no one really saw coming and the exact reason for it is difficult to pinpoint. The biggest reason is that teams likely see him as a scheme specific player to a 4-3 because of his size (6-foot-2, 293 pounds). The other reason could be the unrefined nature of Bennett’s game. He was a bit of a snap jumper that if he didn’t win with his first step had few counter moves to regain control of the block.

These seem like minor quibbles for a player who was dominant down the stretch for the national champs with an 11.2 run stop percentage over Ohio State’s last five games. Few players in the draft can match Bennett’s balanced production as both a run defender and pass rusher where he graded among the Top 10 for interior defenders in each.
    Last edited by TheAnalyst; 08-08-2015 at 12:59 PM.

Veteran
    I doubt he end up starting (unless of course marks or odrick get injured)

He is more of a 3-technique defensive tackle, a pass rusher than an anchor in the middle. 18 sacks in 3 years at Ohio State for a DT is nice. He also ranked top 10 on PFF for interior tackles at stopping the run though.
    3t tackles have to be able to hold up at the POA too. He got moved out way too much for my liking

Quote Originally Posted by Jmulroy99 View Post
    I doubt he end up starting (unless of course marks or odrick get injured)
    Marks blew out his ACL in late December last year. I doubt he will be back right away.