+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Is the "Redskins" name offensive?

Do any of you guys find it offensive?..

I know a few people of American Indian descent who could careless about it and don't find it offensive..

Should they change their name?

Antrel asks fans to "please stick with us" and when it's over "we'll all celebrate together."

No, and i'm tired of hearing about this crap

Quote Originally Posted by B-Red22 View Post
    No, and i'm tired of hearing about this crap
    Just overheard someone discussing it on TV.. Its a popular topic these days.. Wanted everyone's opinion on here given they are our rivals.

Antrel asks fans to "please stick with us" and when it's over "we'll all celebrate together."

Quote Originally Posted by NYGisBallin View Post
    Just overheard someone discussing it on TV.. Its a popular topic these days.. Wanted everyone's opinion on here given they are our rivals.
    I thought it was ridiculous for Bob Costas to use his bull**** time during halftime of sunday night game to talk about this crap some more.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Red22 View Post
    I thought it was ridiculous for Bob Costas to use his bull**** time during halftime of sunday night game to talk about this crap some more.
    Didn't catch it, Is he against the name?

Bob Costas presented both views. He said the majority of the native american tribes have no issue with it and it shouldn't be a problem as long as the Redskins logo itself isn't altered in a derogatory manner. Of course, he also noted other sports teams names like the Braves, Indians, Blackhawks, Seminoles, etc...

On other side of the coin, the term "redskin" was and is a derogatory term.

My view is, if it wasn't such a majorly covered issue for all these years since the Washington Redskins started in 1937. Why now? The media has nothing else better to feed on? lol

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
    Bob Costas presented both views. He said the majority of the native american tribes have no issue with it and it shouldn't be a problem as long as the Redskins logo itself isn't altered in a derogatory manner. Of course, he also noted other sports teams names like the Braves, Indians, Blackhawks, Seminoles, etc...

On other side of the coin, the term "redskin" was and is a derogatory term.

My view is, if it wasn't such a majorly covered issue for all these years since the Washington Redskins started in 1937. Why now? The media has nothing else better to feed on? lol
    Exactly my point, what just changed that all the sudden its a problem, its a problem cause the media wnats to make it into a problem

The only part of the Redskins that is offensive is Dan Snyder...

Fantasy headline quotes:
    -Insanity, with "Eye of the Tiger" playing in the background, accumulated the highest point total this week and beat Hakeem Nicks 137.95 - 100.75, overcoming an 18.22-point spread.
    -Legend of Seawright Throat-Punches Mediocrity.
    -20-page Eli Argument Knocks Out Insanity, Delivers an Early-Season Message

It seems to me, the NFL kind of got the ball rolling with this. They have seemed to perpetuate this more than anyone else.. How many Native Americans really care about a team that's had this name since the 1930's.

I think they'll piss off more people if they change it.. From a fan's perspective, that's a lot of dough to spend on merchandise over the years only to have the team change their name for the sake of a few thousand people that care.

honestly the name/ moniker is offensive. It has its roots in a time in which the noble Native AMericans were referred to as "savages, redskins, heathens etc."

in fact there are over 600 recognized native American nations (tribes) and each is distinct in its personal culture and beliefs.

To be honest such monikers such as the Seminoles, Chiefs, Illini, Blackhawks, Braves, Chippewas, etc are not offensive as they refer to either specific Nations or some aspect to the culture at large. (Chief for example)

Actually we have Washington Wizards, Mystics, Nationals & Capitals...but no one seemed to suggest the name "Warriors."

Which can still be a reference to the Native American iconography and root and yet not be as offensive. the "R with the feather" could morph to a "W with a feather..."

My panties aren't up in a roar about the name redskins, but truth is truth, period.

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI