+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the "Redskins" name offensive?

If they had to change the name, the Sentinels (from "The Replacements") would be my first choice... but I couldn't care less what they're called.

Quote Originally Posted by giantyankee1976 View Post
    honestly the name/ moniker is offensive. It has its roots in a time in which the noble Native AMericans were referred to as "savages, redskins, heathens etc."

in fact there are over 600 recognized native American nations (tribes) and each is distinct in its personal culture and beliefs.

To be honest such monikers such as the Seminoles, Chiefs, Illini, Blackhawks, Braves, Chippewas, etc are not offensive as they refer to either specific Nations or some aspect to the culture at large. (Chief for example)

Actually we have Washington Wizards, Mystics, Nationals & Capitals...but no one seemed to suggest the name "Warriors."

Which can still be a reference to the Native American iconography and root and yet not be as offensive. the "R with the feather" could morph to a "W with a feather..."

My panties aren't up in a roar about the name redskins, but truth is truth, period.
    Nice presentation, GY.
    Yes, Redskins is more derogatory than other directly representative names, as you said.
    It has been Redskins for over 75 years and it wasn't any Indian tribes/nations that complained... it is the media making news for itself in a time when too many are prone to political correctness. This has been going on for years, but never gained much steam. Suddenly the media has resurrected it.
    Much ado about nothing.
    I'm only 1/16th Cherokee, but I'm proud of that, and don't care if they change the name or not.

Cool

*tips hat*

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

Veteran
    I'm offended by the eagles fans no matter what they call themselves.

There are two things most people get wrong about offensive behavior/language.

The first is that you can't tell people what should or what shouldn't offend them. You can't try to rationalize with them by saying "Oh well, I didn't mean it that way so you shouldn't take any offense". It just doesn't work that way.

And the second; you don't have to be the target of an insult to be offended either. Offensive remarks and/or actions can have plenty of collateral damage.

of course its offensive all you have to do is research the origin of the word.

whether an individual finds it offensive is up to that particular person.

I find it offensive, and it should be changed IMO.

Banned
    Who cares about the name? Not too many people on this world are sensitive enough to let a teams name bother them, i mean seriously? They have been around a long time and people wanna complain now? Please

Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
    There are two things most people get wrong about offensive behavior/language.

The first is that you can't tell people what should or what shouldn't offend them. You can't try to rationalize with them by saying "Oh well, I didn't mean it that way so you shouldn't take any offense". It just doesn't work that way.

And the second; you don't have to be the target of an insult to be offended either. Offensive remarks and/or actions can have plenty of collateral damage.
    great post

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...tive-americans
    Last edited by giantyankee1976; 10-16-2013 at 10:27 PM.

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

Quote Originally Posted by NYGisBallin View Post
    Do any of you guys find it offensive?..

I know a few people of American Indian descent who could careless about it and don't find it offensive..

Should they change their name?
    I can see it being offensive

Veteran
    It is a racial slur, plain and simple.

I cannot understand how some of you fail to understand that.

How many of you saying that it's 'no big deal' would be OK with a team that is called the "Washington porch monkeys"? I bet no one would find that acceptable. There is no difference between the two. Open your eyes.

+ Reply to Thread