+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63
  1. #21
    Veteran Cool Papa B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
    There are two things most people get wrong about offensive behavior/language.

    The first is that you can't tell people what should or what shouldn't offend them. You can't try to rationalize with them by saying "Oh well, I didn't mean it that way so you shouldn't take any offense". It just doesn't work that way.

    And the second; you don't have to be the target of an insult to be offended either. Offensive remarks and/or actions can have plenty of collateral damage.
    Spot on!

    I'm not native-american, but I know about the history of the term "Redskin" and it is very offensive. I think the name should be changed. And the logo for the Cleveland Indians should be changed too.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,611
    Quote Originally Posted by njg85m View Post
    It is a racial slur, plain and simple.

    I cannot understand how some of you fail to understand that.

    How many of you saying that it's 'no big deal' would be OK with a team that is called the "Washington porch monkeys"? I bet no one would find that acceptable. There is no difference between the two. Open your eyes.

    Its a racial slur? How about the Chicago Blackhawks? If you wanna get really crazy then analyze the LA Clippers, clipping is another word for shooting, LA Clippers, LA Shooters? How is redskins racial?

  3. #23
    Veteran NYGisBallin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Concrete Jungle
    Posts
    2,288
    More than that.. Before this controversy started If you were to survey people and ask them what the name "redskins" means to them. I guarantee you 95 people out of 100 will mention the football team. The other 5 may identify with the Native American Slang term, Maybe.

    Change the name to appease a small group of people?

    Please.


    Antrel asks fans to "please stick with us" and when it's over "we'll all celebrate together."

  4. #24
    All-Pro giantyankee1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    OUT of MARKET
    Posts
    15,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantsrangers View Post
    Its a racial slur? How about the Chicago Blackhawks? If you wanna get really crazy then analyze the LA Clippers, clipping is another word for shooting, LA Clippers, LA Shooters? How is redskins racial?
    Blackhawks, Illini Chippewa, Seminole etc are actual Tribes/ Nations and generally were the resident tribe of the geographical area...

    Clippers are fast yachts, boats...although once there was a team called the washington bullets...

    Again the term redskin was originally used as a derogatory term...and while many of my fellow African-Americans "embraced" the word n-you know what; it remains an offensive word to this day.

    Because you are fine with calling "small groups" of people an offensive slur or at least, use such slurs without 2nd thought is somewhat sad.

    75 plus years of tradition threatened because a few people finally realized it was wrong.

    Pause and think for a moment about Jim Crow, Apartheid and the Civil Rights Movement.

    These were traditions eventually reversed for the sake of a small group of people(s).

    post edit:
    Again the words I use do not convey my emotional state. Meaning I am not up in arms, angry, furious or any of that. But I am simply stated empirical truth. Wrong is wrong.
    Last edited by giantyankee1976; 10-18-2013 at 06:40 PM.


    NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,611
    Quote Originally Posted by giantyankee1976 View Post
    Blackhawks, Illini Chippewa, Seminole etc are actual Tribes/ Nations and generally were the resident tribe of the geographical area...

    Clippers are fast yachts, boats...although once there was a team called the washington bullets...

    Again the term redskin was originally used as a derogatory term...and while many of my fellow African-Americans "embraced" the word n-you know what; it remains an offensive word to this day.

    Because you are fine with calling "small groups" of people an offensive slur or at least, use such slurs without 2nd thought is somewhat sad.

    75 plus years of tradition threatened because a few people finally realized it was wrong.

    Pause and think for a moment about Jim Crow, Apartheid and the Civil Rights Movement.

    These were traditions eventually reversed for the sake of a small group of people(s).

    post edit:
    Again the words I use do not convey my emotional state. Meaning I am not up in arms, angry, furious or any of that. But I am simply stated empirical truth. Wrong is wrong.


    Eh i disagree

  6. #26
    Bench Player
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    21
    Any terminology that is a racial slur should not be the name of a franchise in the NFL, period. I am intrigued by how many posters are saying "Oh, well it's been this way for so long, why bother changing it now?" An injustice is an injustice, no matter how long it has been accepted, and I am glad to see it becoming more and more taboo as time chugs along. In another 150 years if the term ****** is no longer a word known to most, you can bet your *** that nobody would be caught dead naming their sports franchise after that term. Just because it is a small group of people does not change the morality behind the decision, that is part of our countries rich history, the protection of the majority against the minority, and in this case, their ignorance of a derogatory word! I honestly don't care that it would cost fans a few bucks to replace their damn jersey.

  7. #27
    All-Pro FBomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    27,796
    Of course it's offensive. It's a racial slur. Simple as that. Washington took the name during an era where racial slurs were more common in everyday conversation. Now, you would never call a Native American a "Redskin". The name should be changed.

    Just because it's no big deal to you doesn't mean it's not offensive. There's nothing wrong with using other names like Indians, Braves, etc etc.....But Redskin is a racial slur.

    I'm going to call them The Foreskins as I always have. WAY less offensive.
    And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, **** waffles.......G Carlin

  8. #28
    All-Pro giantyankee1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    OUT of MARKET
    Posts
    15,148
    Quote Originally Posted by FBomb View Post
    Of course it's offensive. It's a racial slur. Simple as that. Washington took the name during an era where racial slurs were more common in everyday conversation. Now, you would never call a Native American a "Redskin". The name should be changed.

    Just because it's no big deal to you doesn't mean it's not offensive. There's nothing wrong with using other names like Indians, Braves, etc etc.....But Redskin is a racial slur.

    I'm going to call them The Foreskins as I always have. WAY less offensive.
    lol +1,000


    NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by FBomb View Post
    Of course it's offensive. It's a racial slur. Simple as that. Washington took the name during an era where racial slurs were more common in everyday conversation. Now, you would never call a Native American a "Redskin". The name should be changed.

    Just because it's no big deal to you doesn't mean it's not offensive. There's nothing wrong with using other names like Indians, Braves, etc etc.....But Redskin is a racial slur.

    I'm going to call them The Foreskins as I always have. WAY less offensive.
    +1
    You guys (GY and demos, too) have swayed me. I saw no reason to get panties in a bunch, but you are right. It is a racial slur, no question... amen.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,611
    Isn't a redskin an indian?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts