+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Is the "Redskins" name offensive?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FBomb View Post
    It isn't a governmental decision to make. It's a free speech issue. Under the constitution no one can tell Snyder to change the name except the NFL. Maybe the owners should vote on it.

Do you think they will change it? The NFL still gets plenty of viewers and money and that isn't chaning, even with the name Redskins. If it was the Carolina Redskins would it matter? Or is it because its in the capital and Obama said so?

Racism has become less tolerated. It's called progress. It is not for any of us to decide what's offensive to someone else. It's all subjective. They should change it.
    Very true, there was alot of unacceptable BS going on race wise in the past that was accepted as the norm and is now horrifying to hear. Just because the name was adopted years ago doesnt make it OK, we're better than that
    Round1: AA-Ron Donald, DT, Pitt
    Round2: Kareem Martin, UNC, DE
    Round3: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
    Round4: Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
    Round5: Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
    Round5: Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers

Quote Originally Posted by Giantsrangers View Post
    Do you think they will change it? The NFL still gets plenty of viewers and money and that isn't chaning, even with the name Redskins. If it was the Carolina Redskins would it matter? Or is it because its in the capital and Obama said so?
    I don't know if they will but this has nothing to do with Obama.
    And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, **** waffles.......G Carlin

It isn't a governmental decision to make. It's a free speech issue. Under the constitution no one can tell Snyder to change the name except the NFL. Maybe the owners should vote on it.
    Its Snyders team and technically he can name them whatever he wants no matter how offensive it is, we gotta accept the good and the bad with free speech. None the less its his choice to change or keep the name, personally if they wanna keep the logo they should be called the Braves or Warriors, or a positive term associated with the Native American population if they even wanna keep the logo
    Round1: AA-Ron Donald, DT, Pitt
    Round2: Kareem Martin, UNC, DE
    Round3: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
    Round4: Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
    Round5: Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
    Round5: Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kase-1 View Post
    Very true, there was alot of unacceptable BS going on race wise in the past that was accepted as the norm and is now horrifying to hear. Just because the name was adopted years ago doesnt make it OK, we're better than that

Maybe people had better things to do in the past than worry about a damn football teams name

Banned
    I don't know if they will but this has nothing to do with Obama.

Didn't Obama say something about it?

Didn't Obama say something about it?
    He did but this has been going on for years now. He was asked a question about it and he gave his opinion. That probably put a lot more national attention on the subject, but it wasn't his idea. He just agrees with it...and so do I.
    And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, **** waffles.......G Carlin

Banned
    He did but this has been going on for years now. He was asked a question about it and he gave his opinion. That probably put a lot more national attention on the subject, but it wasn't his idea. He just agrees with it...and so do I.

But there ya go, it probably wasn't as big a deal until Obama said something. I just can't see them changing the name but we can agree to disagree

But there ya go, it probably wasn't as big a deal until Obama said something. I just can't see them changing the name but we can agree to disagree
    No....it has been a subject of discussion and, if I'm not mistaken, litigation for several years. It's a "big deal" to some people without Obama's opinion. Again, it's a free speech issue that the NFL will have to decide on. It's very tricky....no matter what people are not going to be happy. The right thing to do isn't always the right thing to to when you the numbers are stacked against you. IMO...it's a racial slur and it should be changed.

Banned
    No....it has been a subject of discussion and, if I'm not mistaken, litigation for several years. It's a "big deal" to some people without Obama's opinion. Again, it's a free speech issue that the NFL will have to decide on. It's very tricky....no matter what people are not going to be happy. The right thing to do isn't always the right thing to to when you the numbers are stacked against you. IMO...it's a racial slur and it should be changed.

Its not big of a deal if they havent changed anything yet so its not as important as you say it is

+ Reply to Thread