+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1

    What I'd like to see the Giants do in the draft and free agency

    First, keep Pugh and Beatty. Make Booth compete in camp for a roster spot and hopefully, the Giants do a great job in the draft and FA so he can become a very solid backup in a couple of years. DUMP/retire the rest. They appear to be old, often injured and useless. Gold watches, much respect and good wishes for a great life after football for our two old linemen. We should thank them for their amazing service but its time to move on and to go younger. If we have to keep him because of the cap, Baas is the 3rd string center behind a rookie AND a free agent but I wish we could get rid of him.

    DRAFT - Trade down and try to trade a player for a 2nd or 3rd round pick (not saying we can but at least try).

    With the 2 firsts and 2 seconds or 2nd and 3rd:

    Guard
    Center
    LB
    CB

    In the 3rd round TE, RB

    Later rounds, DE, WR, OT

    FREE AGENCY - I am NOT saying we will find all of this but it's what I would be looking for in free agency - (Younger players without injury history)
    Guard
    Center
    O Tackle
    CB
    LB
    Depending on the outcome of the draft, TE or RB.

    Besides the obvious needs (oline, LB and CB), we really should to try to find a Jordan Cameron/Julius Thomas-like TE. Yes, I know they don't grow on trees but we need to try to find one unless they are certain they already have one. I'm not convinced we do. Having this type of player presents a matchup nightmare when you also have Cruz, Nicks Randle and the real threat of some kind of running game.

    Stating the obvious, we need another running back since we can't count on Brown and Wilson is a big question mark at this point. With a new larger stud RB, Brown, Cox and Wilson as our kick returner and open field speed back we would be solid.

    I know many of you will disagree, but we can make due with JPP, Kiwi and Moore and Kuhn at DE next year. We might not have a typical Giant pass rush although if JPP and Moore are golden, we could all be surprised and we would have Kuhn and Kiwi as backups. With very solid DTs and, hopefully a much improved LB group, we are stout against the run and short passing game. If we can add a new stud (large and fast Talib kind of guy) CB across from Prince, and we get Stevie back, we will have a very good pass defense.

    We need to take advantage of the time we have left with Eli. I know he is having a REALLY bad year, but I am completely certain that this will not happen again next year if they provide him with solid protection, a couple of key new weapons and a new O game-plan geared to his strengths.
    Last edited by PennState1; 10-15-2013 at 04:03 PM.

  2. #2
    All-Pro joemorrisforprez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11,543
    Quote Originally Posted by PennState1 View Post
    First, keep Pugh and Beatty. Make Booth compete in camp for a roster spot and hopefully, the Giants do a great job in the draft and FA so he can become a very solid backup in a couple of years. DUMP/retire the rest. They appear to be old, often injured and useless. Gold watches, much respect and good wishes for a great life after football for our two old linemen. We should thank them for their amazing service but its time to move on and to go younger. If we have to keep him because of the cap, Baas is the 3rd string center behind a rookie AND a free agent but I wish we could get rid of him.

    DRAFT - Trade down and try to trade a player for a 2nd or 3rd round pick (not saying we can but at least try).

    With the 2 firsts and 2 seconds or 2nd and 3rd:

    Guard
    Center
    LB
    CB

    In the 3rd round TE, RB

    Later rounds, DE, WR, OT

    FREE AGENCY - I am NOT saying we will find all of this but it's what I would be looking for in free agency - (Younger players without injury history)
    Guard
    Center
    O Tackle
    CB
    LB
    Depending on the outcome of the draft, TE or RB.

    Besides the obvious needs (oline, LB and CB), we really should to try to find a Jordan Cameron/Julius Thomas-like TE. Yes, I know they don't grow on trees but we need to try to fond one unless they are certain they already have one and I'm not convinced. This presents a matchup nightmare when you have Cruz, Nicks a decent 3rd WR and the threat of some kind of running game.

    Stating the obvious, we need another running back since we can't count on Brown and Wilson is a big question mark at this point. With a new larger stud RB, Brown, Cox and Wilson as our kick returner and open field speed back we would be solid.

    I know many of you will disagree, but we can make due with JPP, Kiwi and Moore and Kuhn at DE next year. We might not have a typical Giant pass rush although if JPP and Moore are golden, we could all be surprised and we would have Kuhn and Kiwi as backups. With very solid DTs and, hopefully a much improved LB group, we are stout against the run and short passing game. If we can add a new stud (large and fast Talib kind of guy) CB across from Prince, and we get Stevie back, we will have a very good pass defense.

    We need to take advantage of the time we have left with Eli. I know he is having a REALLY bad year, but I am completely certain that this will not happen again next year if they provide him with solid protection, a couple of key new weapons and a new O game-plan geared to his strengths.
    I agree in general with your post.

    I think offensive line is a huge priority, followed by linebacker. Reese has to go after a TOP FLIGHT free agent to address both OL and LB, and then needs to go after each position in the first three rounds.

    I'm also a big proponent of trading down for more picks. Every veteran on this team needs to get pushed hard.

    I really don't want Clowney. Judging from how he's handling his playing status, he seems like a soft, selfish player, and could be a huge bust.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

    - Emlen Tunnell

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    I agree in general with your post.

    I think offensive line is a huge priority, followed by linebacker. Reese has to go after a TOP FLIGHT free agent to address both OL and LB, and then needs to go after each position in the first three rounds.

    I'm also a big proponent of trading down for more picks. Every veteran on this team needs to get pushed hard.

    I really don't want Clowney. Judging from how he's handling his playing status, he seems like a soft, selfish player, and could be a huge bust.
    Clowney is too big a risk based on where the Giants are right now. I'd rather spread that risk across 2 players...2 O linemen or an O lineman and a LB.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,937
    Our top need is pass rusher. You dont have us adding one at all.

  5. #5
    I would take Barr out of UCLA before clowney

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by PennState1 View Post
    Clowney is too big a risk based on where the Giants are right now. I'd rather spread that risk across 2 players...2 O linemen or an O lineman and a LB.
    The best prospect in the draft is too big of a risk? The ****? The lower rated the prospect the more inherent risk. Trading back guarantees nothing

  7. #7
    All-Pro tonyt830's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenbrier, TN
    Posts
    7,717
    Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    I agree in general with your post.

    I think offensive line is a huge priority, followed by linebacker. Reese has to go after a TOP FLIGHT free agent to address both OL and LB, and then needs to go after each position in the first three rounds.

    I'm also a big proponent of trading down for more picks. Every veteran on this team needs to get pushed hard.

    I really don't want Clowney. Judging from how he's handling his playing status, he seems like a soft, selfish player, and could be a huge bust.
    plus who knows if he has lingering issues with his feet---I believe he is dealing with bone spurs or something like that?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Imgrate View Post
    Our top need is pass rusher. You dont have us adding one at all.
    I completely, and respectfully, disagree...

    From my post above -
    I know many of you will disagree, but we can make due with JPP, Kiwi and Moore and Kuhn at DE next year. We might not have a typical Giant pass rush although if JPP and Moore are golden, we could all be surprised and we would have Kuhn and Kiwi as backups. With very solid DTs and, hopefully a much improved LB group, we are stout against the run and short passing game. If we can add a new stud (large and fast Talib kind of guy) CB across from Prince, and we get Stevie back, we will have a very good pass defense.

  9. #9
    If we can turn a top 5 pick into a 1st+1st or 1st+2nd, that would be great.

    Then, with our first 4 picks, take OLB with our first, a G with our later first/earlier 2nd pick, a CB with the other 2nd pick, another G with our 3rd, and a RB with the 4th.

    In FA, pick up the best blocking TE we can find, and cut Myers free. I need to emphasize that this pickup may be a no-name guy that we've never heard of, but he's got to be able to block first catch second...

    Keep:

    QB: Eli, Nassib
    RB: Wilson, Brown, Cox, +4th rounder
    FB: Let Hyno and Connor battle for a spot, but I believe Hyno will win out.
    TE: Pascoe, Donnell, +FA (most likely the starter)
    WR: Nicks, Cruz, Randle, Jernigan (he plays out his rookie deal and then gets shown the door after the 2014 season)
    OL: Beatty, Pugh, Boothe, Mosley, Baas (unfortunately, he costs too much to cut), +2 draft picks at interior.

    DE: JPP (move to left end), Moore, Kiwi
    DT: Jenkins (can rotate DE too), Hankins, Patterson, Kuhn (unfortunately, Linval will want too much money to keep)
    LB: Paysinger, Beason, Williams, (+1st round pick)
    CB: Prince, TT, McBride, Hosley (+2nd round pick)
    S: Stevie, Hill, Mundy.
    Last edited by Toadofsteel; 10-15-2013 at 04:16 PM.

  10. #10
    All-Pro tonyt830's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenbrier, TN
    Posts
    7,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Imgrate View Post
    Our top need is pass rusher. You dont have us adding one at all.
    agreed, we need a pass rusher. Tuck is a shell of his former self. Lets hope Moore works out and JPP gets back to his form after this surgery he had.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts