+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Giants' Insider: Eli Shouldn't Play It Safe

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1486939

Excerpt: "There comes a point in every play when it’s futile to continue. It’s a moment that Giants quarterbacks coach Sean Ryan calls the “ceiling,” that point when you’re better off moving onto the next down.

It’s this very moment that Eli Manning has made a career of defying, for better (two Super Bowl MVPs) or worse (this season). And if the Giants’ franchise QB is going to shake out of his horrific slump, he’ll need to continue to ignore that ceiling moment.

“You’ve got to be smart,” Ryan said, “and at the same time, not take away the aggressive nature of these players.”

Manning’s game has always been defined by its gutsiness, and that’s exactly what the Giants need now. This is a QB who carved his niche by routinely pushing plays past that point of no return (remember David Tyree?), and now, the Giants need every bit of that gambling moxie.

It’s what Antrel Rolle called for in his weekly paid WFAN radio spot, when he said he hopes the Giants will “let it all hang out” against the Vikings on Monday night.

“You’re 0-6,” Rolle said. “You can’t be scared to make a mistake. This game is a result of who can make that big play, who can make that game-changing play.”

Nobody is better at that than Manning, Ryan said. The league-leading 15 interceptions seem to show a QB who is taking too many risks or making too many mistakes, but Ryan said neither is true.

To Ryan, Manning has actually been correcting mistakes. In the first game, Ryan said, the Giants had “a couple issues in our screen game that we talked about and they haven’t arisen since then.” Ryan added that Manning isn’t always taking risks.

“He reads defenses very well,” Ryan said, “so what might seem at times like gunslinging, there’s a lot of prep that goes into him deciding to throw the ball there.”

Manning needs to keep throwing passes into those tight windows and keep throwing without caution. It’s the only way Manning knows how to be effective, and Ryan is convinced that it will soon be effective again.

“I’ve got a hundred percent confidence and belief in this guy,” Ryan said. “I can’t say that enough.” Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Sean Ryan: Continue being reckless with the football, I have confidence in you
    > You know, keep turning the ball over, but with confidence

Sean Ryan: We've corrected the screen problem because the issue hasn't returned
    > In other words, we've stopped running screens because we can't run them properly
    #80 true blue

Eli hasnt lost his agressiveness at all and never has since day one 2004
    You can be aggressive and still keep the picks down. You tell me Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc are not agressive QBs??
    You want to cut down on the picks.....then take some of the guess work out of the routes. Is this a possibility??
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    Eli hasnt lost his agressiveness at all and never has since day one 2004
    You can be aggressive and still keep the picks down. You tell me Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc are not agressive QBs??
    You want to cut down on the picks.....then take some of the guess work out of the routes. Is this a possibility??
    It's possible, but KG would NEVER do that.
    Finalized divorce from Victor Michael Walker Cruz November 23rd, 2014. 9:16 PM.

Eli can't play it safe. This team doesn't have the talent to hang in games. He needs to win them by himself. Pretty ****ty position to put any player in.

Between Reese and Gilbride, they want to turn the Giants into the Dan Fouts Chargers......but without his offensive line.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

If you focus on the results, Sean Ryan's 1.5 seasons as QBs coach has been a disaster

Yes, a 10 year vet and debated great qb should know when to be aggressive and went to be conservative

I remember Eli boasting about Mike Sullivan's unconventional foot drills, how it improved his game, etc. Maybe Eli benefits from great coaching. Look at the difference in his play between 2010 and 2011. Some players need it more than others.
    #80 true blue

Quote Originally Posted by Helmet View Post
    If you focus on the results, Sean Ryan's 1.5 seasons as QBs coach has been a disaster

Yes, a 10 year vet and debated great qb should know when to be aggressive and went to be conservative

I remember Eli boasting about Mike Sullivan's unconventional foot drills, how it improved his game, etc. Maybe Eli benefits from great coaching. Look at the difference in his play between 2010 and 2011. Some players need it more than others.

Good point.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by Helmet View Post

why wouldnt Eli institute any good things he did with Sullivan with is new coach. Why wouldnt the new coach ask Eli what has been working for him.
    I blame the QB coach for Eli's bad season about as much as I blame the water boy for it....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

why wouldnt Eli institute any good things he did with Sullivan with is new coach. Why wouldnt the new coach ask Eli what has been working for him.
    I blame the QB coach for Eli's bad season about as much as I blame the water boy for it....
    I'm going to disagree......I think a QB coach is really needed in a situation like now. Eli needs another set of eyes watching film with him, talking to him about what he's seeing, etc.

- Emlen Tunnell

Why does Tiger Woods need a coach? Because players develop bad habits. They need coaches and trainers to help them work them out. Also with age, your body changes. Is it physical, is it mental? Are there adjustments you can make to circumvent aspects of your game that you're no longer effective at?

http://www.businessinsider.com/sean-...s-wrong-2013-5
    #80 true blue