+ Reply to Thread

Hiring Coaches while In The Playoffs?

From Yahoo Sports: "New England Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien has agreed to become Penn State's first new head football coach in nearly a half-century."

I thought there is a rule can't tamper with coaches while in the playoffs, or does that justy apply to NFL teams and not college, or if with the franchises permission?

Any of the Giants asst coaches could be interviewed and hired while planning for palyoff games.

Re: Hiring Coaches while In The Playoffs?

[quote user="Red Dog"]From Yahoo Sports: "New England Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien has agreed to become Penn State's first new head football coach in nearly a half-century."

I thought there is a rule can't tamper with coaches while in the playoffs, or does that justy apply to NFL teams and not college, or if with the franchises permission?

Any of the Giants asst coaches could be interviewed and hired while planning for palyoff games.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure Spags was interviewed by Washington during our Superbowl run.
    I bELIeve in February 1, 2015.

[quote user="Providence"][quote user="Red Dog"]From Yahoo Sports: "New England Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien has agreed to become Penn State's first new head football coach in nearly a half-century." I thought there is a rule can't tamper with coaches while in the playoffs, or does that justy apply to NFL teams and not college, or if with the franchises permission? Any of the Giants asst coaches could be interviewed and hired while planning for palyoff games.[/quote] I'm pretty sure Spags was interviewed by Washington during our Superbowl run.[/quote]

Washington requested permission to interview spags, but the organization denied permission until after the Giants were out of the playoffs.

It's a very common practice to franchises to make their coaches wait until aftyer they're eliminated from the playoffs before interviewing for jobs.

All Hail The New York Giants!!

[quote user="Red Dog"]From Yahoo Sports: "New England Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien has agreed to become Penn State's first new head football coach in nearly a half-century."

Any of the Giants asst coaches could be interviewed and hired while planning for palyoff games.[/quote]

I know there is a rule that you can only contact someone during a bye week...not sure if college is included in that.

The rule doesn't cover college Wies got the ND job will still on the Pats. Also NFL teams can only block a laterel move not a step-up such has HC.

Veteran

How could it apply to college? I mean the NFL is not the supreme law of the land, they can't fine colleges.

It's up to the organization.

The rule is that you can't approach another player/coach without permission while the team is still active.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Someone tell me how the NFL is supposed to tell a college what to do?
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

[quote user="burier"]Someone tell me how the NFL is supposed to tell a college what to do?[/quote]

They can't ... ala the Petino incident.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

You can interview if you have a playoff bye week and otherwise, a team can permit an interview after being requested by the team that needs a coach.