+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Let's create an offseason plan (long post)

Let's create an offseason plan (long post)

How do you guys think we should rebuild the team in the offseason? There's plenty of holes to fill all over the team, and more will be created in free agency.

2014 big Giants free agents:
    A. Brown
    Nicks
    Boothe, Diehl
    Tuck, Joseph, Rogers, Patterson
    Connor, Rivers
    Ross, T2, S. Brown, Mundy
    I'm sure there are more that I'm missing, but some of these guys will not be back next year. Who do we keep and who do we cut? Personally, I think we should try to emphasize getting Nicks and Joseph back. We should try to bring Boothe back, if only for one more year. We'll need to keep one of Brown/Mundy too.

I think the core of the team going into next year should look something like this:
    QB: Eli
    RBs: Wilson, Brown/Cox
    WRs: Nicks, Cruz, Randle
    TE: new
    OL: Beatty, Boothe, new, new, Pugh
    DL: JPP, Moore, Kiwi, Tuck/new
    LBs: Beason, Williams, Paysinger, new
    CBs: Prince, Webster, Hosley, Ross/T2, new
    S: Rolle, Brown/Mundy/new

Based on this, I think our immediate needs are on both lines (including TE) and in the secondary. Our linebackers have actually been solid this year. Beason looks like a steal.

Assuming we're picking in the top 10, I think we have to either go BPA or trade back. It might be very easy to trade back if we're sitting around #5. Think of all the teams that are desperate for a QB: Jax, TB, Minnesota, Cleveland, even Houston. If there is an early run on QBs, teams will be desperate to trade up to get their guy. This also pushes all of the best players down the board.

Let's assume Clowney is gone by the time we make our selection. Would you want to grab one of the defensive players that are a slight step down from Clowney or trade back?

Who should we try to target in free agency? Does anyone have a list of upcoming free agents?

My initial thought is to grab defensive talent and try to shore up some of the offensive weaknesses via free agency. Maybe we can sign a guard and get a solid mid-round center.

I would add that we would save about $7 million by cutting Snee, $5 million by cutting Baas, and $7 million by cutting Rolle before next season. If I'm understanding this correctly, I think that would leave us with about $33 million to play with, before re-signing anybody.

I just hope we go Oline in Fa'cy. I don't mind grabbing a Olineman in the 2nd or 3rd rd, but im really hoping we get a piece like Clowney , Barr, or Mariota to kick start this franchise. As much as i realize how important oline is, i think its important to get a player who can make a impact in multiple ways, and not just blocking. We need a impact player in RD1..

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    I just hope we go Oline in Fa'cy. I don't mind grabbing a Olineman in the 2nd or 3rd rd, but im really hoping we get a piece like Clowney , Barr, or Mariota to kick start this franchise. As much as i realize how important oline is, i think its important to get a player who can make a impact in multiple ways, and not just blocking. We need a impact player in RD1..
    I think if Clowney is there you have to take him. I really don't see the Giants taking a QB

Quote Originally Posted by tuck&rolle View Post
    I think if Clowney is there you have to take him. I really don't see the Giants taking a QB
    Well they should consider a QB. Even if ELI bounces back, his best yrs, were alot of INTs and some truly dud games mixed in with some very good ones. Now hes gonna be 33yrs old and coming off a terrible season. Usually when guys start trending downwards at 33yrs old, its truly them trending downwards. Its not like ELI is gonna get swifter on his feet either. He'll just become more and more plodding as he ages, similar to Schaub, Palmer, Bledsoe, and guys of that nature. Mariota is a franchise QB. They don't grow on trees. Especially guys 6ft 4in who run like the wind, and have plenty of arm strength and zip on his passes.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by tuck&rolle View Post
    I would add that we would save about $7 million by cutting Snee, $5 million by cutting Baas, and $7 million by cutting Rolle before next season. If I'm understanding this correctly, I think that would leave us with about $33 million to play with, before re-signing anybody.
    Cutting Baas would save less than 2M, Dead Money: 6,450,000.. cap hit 8,225,000

In draft I would pick up a new Guard (I think Mosley needs some god damn playing time, he looked quite capable in the preseason). Keep Baas and draft a Center in round 3 to develop next year while Baas plays the last year of his contract. Spend first round draft pick on Clowney if he's there, trade down and pick up the best available LB (Barr, Mosley, Shazier). Spend 2nd round pick on best available Guard. As for Tight End.. we need help, but there aren't any good FA's and I don't know if it's worth using a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round pick on one.. maybe we can get one if we get an extra draft pick from trading down. Adrien Robinson needs to get healthy, I'm still holding out for him.

FA. Re-sign Jon Beason, John Conner, Hillis, Linval Joesph, or Mike Patterson and Shaun Rodgers. Sign a good DE (Jared Allen is getting older, but can still rush the passer and may want to take a pay cut to play on a championship team). Other good DEs may be too expensive.

As much as I've despised Rolle, I wouldn't be opposed to bring him for anything less than the vet min at this point.

But Webster, Snee, Diehl, Tuck all need to go
    Last edited by drewz; 10-25-2013 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    If we draft Mariota, he would have the same impact Nassib is having for us this year.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth."

+ Reply to Thread