+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Exclamation In Jerry We Bust: Reese ranked among WORST drafting GMs in NFL

And lets not forget his inability to manage the cap year after year keeping us tight walking the rope and unable to land the right players to help out the team.

FORBES 2013-

New York Giants' Jerry Reese Ranks Among The Worst-Drafting GMs

The New York Giants are having a rough year, and the teamís many injuries certainly arenít helping. By Week 5 the team had lost running backs Andre Brown and David Wilson, and replacement Brandon Jacobs has since been sidelined with a hamstring injury. Safety Stevie Brown, who led the team in interceptions last season, is out for the year with a preseason ACL tear. The offensive line has been a mess, with guard Chris Snee and center David Baas both done for the year on IR.

Unfortunately for the G-Men, this yearís many injuries are not out of the ordinary. That was the subject of a recent column by Grantlandís Bill Barnwell, who does a good job of highlighting the significant number of injuries sustained by Giants draft picks since 2007, the year that current general manager Jerry Reese took over.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmi...-drafting-gms/

If Accorsi didn't hand him a contender, we wouldn't have 2 SB wins under his tenure.

2007 was basically Accorsi's team, and it was already a strong playoff contender. It was complemented by a good Reese draft (probably his best). Since then, the team has declined, and 2011 only proved how good Coughlin was in coaching a mediocre team, and how good Eli could be at working miracles. It took a career year from Eli just to keep the team in contention until the defense and the running game finally showed up to work.

Reese took 2011 to be a confirmation of his genius, instead of a what it was - winning the pot with a pair of Jacks.....and that's why this team is so bad right now.
    ďLosers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,Ē

- Emlen Tunnell

Veteran
    Yep, when I need to fill my sports fix, Forbes magazine is my destination. Chris Smith? Is that his real name or an alias?

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    If Accorsi didn't hand him a contender, we wouldn't have 2 SB wins under his tenure.

2007 was basically Accorsi's team, and it was already a strong playoff contender. It was complemented by a good Reese draft (probably his best). Since then, the team has declined, and 2011 only proved how good Coughlin was in coaching a mediocre team, and how good Eli could be at working miracles. It took a career year from Eli just to keep the team in contention until the defense and the running game finally showed up to work.

Reese took 2011 to be a confirmation of his genius, instead of a what it was - winning the pot with a pair of Jacks.....and that's why this team is so bad right now.
    Right. So in 2007, who filled the rest of the roster along with Osi, Strahan, Tuck, Eli, etc? The "other" guys were just as important as our "core". Wnat to blame JR for this year? Go right a head. But this 2007 = Ernie's team is crap.

Veteran
    Not to say Reese is a genius, but the blurb above seems to blame him for player injuries. So he stinks cause his draft picks get injured at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by yatitle View Post
    Yep, when I need to fill my sports fix, Forbes magazine is my destination. Chris Smith? Is that his real name or an alias?
    Considering this has to do with the business side of football, a business publication makes sense actually...

Did you read the article? seems like its a bunch of number crunching. Of course JR's draft picks haven't played as many games. TC doesn't play rookies. Bill Belichick has a worse "AV" rating than JR his team seems to be doing pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by DandyDon View Post
    Not to say Reese is a genius, but the blurb above seems to blame him for player injuries. So he stinks cause his draft picks get injured at some point?
    Exactly the article ranks him based solely on games played and not the production of the actual players. Not necessarily a fair metric to judge a GM.

Simple -- Reese's drafting and planning suck -- the only things we are paying him for. Bye Bye

To call him "one of the worst drafting gm's" is a stretch.
    But... He has his fair share of screw ups.
    He neglected a position (O-Line) for far to long, and yes I am aware he has drafted 7 since he became GM in 07. Outside of Beatty and Pugh he hasn't drafted an offensive lineman no sooner than the 4th round. Like an old car, he held onto an "85 Camaro until the wheels were coming off, and instead of purchasing a new car he bought new tires.
    And please no more "project" players, that is another reason we're failing in the draft. Give me "football" players, guys who can contribute immediately.
    He neglected a position that was the back bone of this franchise (linebacker) I was starting to believe he didn't know the position existed on a football team.
    The Beason trade was great though, a solid player for a late round pick. But just a few months ago we went into the season with the likes of Dan Conner and Herz as our Mike linebackers. Whoops...
    Reese made the infamous comment "super bowl clock" and "everyone is on notice" this offseason, so far the clock is in the East river, and everyone is on notice memo is sitting on his desk.