+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Draft Position Overrated

I had posted a post yesterday stressing my disagreement with fans "who root for loses" for our team in order to get a better draft pick. Out of curiousity I looked up the past 5 yrs draft picks and it was amazing how many BETTER players that I could find with later in the draft as compared to the "Top 5" picks in first round. Other than 2012, with the picks of Luck and RGIII, every draft I found a lot of better players later in first round or even later rounds. When you look at it, it definitely looks like the top 5 positioning in draft is way overrated which supports my belief......."PLAY (AND ROOT) TO WIN AT ALL TIMES" and let the draft positioning fall where it may be. Feel free to ignore this post, however, if you want.....take a moment and look at all the quality players that were picked later in each draft....

2013 Draft
    Eric Fisher
    Luke Joeckel
    Dion Jordan
    Lane Johnson
    Ezekiel Ansah
    Not one of these players will be in ROY discussion lol

Luck
    RGIII
    Trent Richardson
    Matt Kalil
    Justin Blackmon
    This was the one year that it would have been nice to have 1 or 2 pick but after that it looks like there were a lot of good players later in first round and even later in rounds....ie......Russell Wilson goes 75th, Alfred Morris goes 173.......just to name a couple

Cam Newton
    Von Miller
    Marcell Darious
    AJ Green
    Patrick Peterson
    yes I wouldn't mind having Von Miller or AJ Green but there were definitely some great players later,......JJ Watt (11th), Ryan Kerrigan (16th), Prince (19th, Colin Kapernick (36th).......

Bradford
    Suh
    Gerald McCoy
    Trent Williams
    Eric Berry
    Obviously some talent in that top 5 but JPP (15th), Dez Bryant (24), Rob Gronkowski (42), Sean Lee (55), Jimmy Graham (95)......

Stafford
    Jason Smith
    Tyson Jackson
    Aaron Curry
    Mark Sanchez
    Pathetic lol........way too many talented players below.....I keep counting and counting and counting lol too many to name.....look yourselves.

Anyway, kinda dilutes the top 5 pick importance lol

1 draft position was the difference in David Wilson instead of Doug Martin .. every single spot counts.

2010 draft 3rd rd., we took CHAD JONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with Jimmy Graham still on the board ... you gotta be ****ting me Reese ...
    Last edited by Bleedin Bluue; 11-12-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Yep. A high pick isn't a guaranteed pick. That's why you should just root to win, let Jerry figure out the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin Bluue View Post
    1 draft position was the difference in David Wilson instead of Doug Martin .. every single spot counts.
    yeah....and we could have had Alfred morris in round 6 lol

Quote Originally Posted by EliIsTheBaas View Post
    Yep. A high pick isn't a guaranteed pick. That's why you should just root to win, let Jerry figure out the draft.
    Yes....that's my point!

2010 draft 3rd rd., we took CHAD JONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with Jimmy Graham still on the board ... you gotta be ****ting me Reese ...
    Yeah wish we had a do over on that one lolol

Always root for your team until they are mathmatically eliminated! Then root for a high draft pick, if you are so inclined.
    Do not feed the trolls.

You mean between IR and IR?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckKnoxx View Post
    Whatever [Tom Quinn] says to keep a near decade long job has to be truly inspirational for him not to be working at IKEA right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    You mean between IR and IR?
    LOL

a lot of teams didn't select Jimmy graham. give JR a call so he can hop in his time machine and redraft.