+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41
  1. #11
    All-Pro jomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    19,524
    Quote Originally Posted by drgordon126 View Post
    Kevin Gilbride and Tom Coughlin should be fired. Every set of downs, the play calling is the exact same, making the defense's job easy: 1st down, an impotent run for 1.5 yards. 2nd down, a short quick pass aimed for the slot receiver or tight end. 3rd down, a feckless, hopeless, rushed pass over a blitz aimed at picking up a first down. 3rd and long invariably brings about a screen pass for a 2 yard pick up. What's worse is that I've actually heard commentators praising the Giants for "sticking with the run!" What is commendable about continuing to run the ball when you're averaging 30 yards on the ground? Nothing. Offenses like the Packers and Patriots know that they are passing offenses and don't try forcing their neutered run-game. Honestly, the Giants function like robots. Their coaching staff must be the worst chess players of all time. Old people just can't adapt. Coughlin and Gilbride will continue to play the inside the box football that they learned in 1952 when they were in their 20's. If I were a defense, 1st down would be 4-3, and 2nd and 3rd down would be a nickel double A gap blitz every time. The coaching staff's incompetence is making Eli look like a mediocre quarterback. Joe Montana would have Eli's numbers this season if Coughlin was coaching the '89 Niners.

    I'd like to see the first play of the Packers-Giants game start with a flea-flicker with a long ball to Nicks. I guarantee huge yardage from such a play. Furthermore, it would convince the coaching staff of the Packers that Gilbride is not, in fact, some kind of football robot who is preprogrammed with the computer's playcalling engine from 1992 Tecmo Super Bowl for SNES.

    Is anyone else sick of Coughlin trying to jam a round peg into a square hole? The Giants aren't a running squad. They need to quit trying to be "balanced."
    I hate to distract you from the certainty of your argument, but the play you suggest to open this game against the Packers, a flea flicker type of play was THE EXACT PLAY that (the then younger, in red) Gilbride called a few years ago against the Packers. I hate to let facts get in the way of a good argument. That long play to Beckum erupted the home crowd.
    Last edited by jomo; 11-14-2013 at 04:24 PM.
    No one remembers who came in second.

  2. #12
    Moderator YATittle1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Uncle YA
    Posts
    19,555
    football isn't about predicting....it's about execution

    every team runs pretty much the same plays and gives them different names

    there are only so many route combinations

    it is not about being predictable or not predictable.....it is about personnel and execution

    see the Parcells years for reference ....... unbelievably predictable with good personnel and great execution

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant303 View Post
    Tecmo Super Bowl was an NES title not SNES so your argument is flawed
    Actually it was for both systems, that game was the bomb regardless. The NES version was great, and who could forget running in the Original Tecmo Bowl with Bo Jackson for 300yds/game.

  4. #14
    All-Pro jomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    19,524
    Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    football isn't about predicting....it's about execution

    every team runs pretty much the same plays and gives them different names

    there are only so many route combinations

    it is not about being predictable or not predictable.....it is about personnel and execution

    see the Parcells years for reference ....... unbelievably predictable with good personnel and great execution
    +1
    It is especially about execution if you have superior talent which we lack along the OL.
    But in general, you are dead on.
    No one remembers who came in second.

  5. #15
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,451
    You kinda have to wait and see how this season plays out. What if they won it all? Odds are Giants miss the playoffs, and if they do, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new staff next year because I'm thinking TC's wife might convince him that 2 SB's are enough.

  6. #16
    The Giants won their 2 Super Bowls under Coughlin and Gilbride DESPITE their coaching, not because of it. If you look at the Super Bowl seasons, the Giants were STACKED with talent. Their records in those years should have been much better than what they actually were. Coughlin has kept his job because his team has won two SBs. But the Giants would have been much more dominant those years if it weren't for those two patzers' inept coaching.

    Predictability IS a huge disadvantage in football. That's why the Patriots were spying on teams a few years ago. Remember? While having a well-honed and polished team minimizes the negative impact of predictability (think 90's Cowboys), it is certainly a negative nonetheless.

    And Tecmo Super Bowl was a SNES game also. Now I just feel sorry for you, because you obviously never had the honor of playing it.

  7. #17
    Veteran dakotajoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    North Carolina / New Jersey
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by drgordon126 View Post
    The Giants won their 2 Super Bowls under Coughlin and Gilbride DESPITE their coaching, not because of it. If you look at the Super Bowl seasons, the Giants were STACKED with talent.
    In '11 we were ranked last in rushing and a mediocre defense at best. Calling the team "STACKED" is a stretch...

    In 07 we beat an undefeated Patriots team/Bill Bellichek, a team that just didn't lose in the playoffs at the time. At that point Eli was average at best at QB and Tom Brady's playoff record was ridiculous.

    If anything the Giants have overachieved by earning two trophies. We beat teams with better talent.

    What do you want Gilbride to do, run flea flickers and jump passes at the goaline like Shiano? haha.
    Last edited by dakotajoe; 11-16-2013 at 02:37 PM.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by drgordon126 View Post
    The Giants won their 2 Super Bowls under Coughlin and Gilbride DESPITE their coaching, not because of it. If you look at the Super Bowl seasons, the Giants were STACKED with talent. Their records in those years should have been much better than what they actually were. Coughlin has kept his job because his team has won two SBs. But the Giants would have been much more dominant those years if it weren't for those two patzers' inept coaching.

    Predictability IS a huge disadvantage in football. That's why the Patriots were spying on teams a few years ago. Remember? While having a well-honed and polished team minimizes the negative impact of predictability (think 90's Cowboys), it is certainly a negative nonetheless.

    And Tecmo Super Bowl was a SNES game also. Now I just feel sorry for you, because you obviously never had the honor of playing it.
    Oh, I get it! It's the coaches fault when we suck, but when we win its in spite of them!!

    So redicous..

  9. #19
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    99,199
    We almost made a full week without the blame game rising from the ashes.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  10. #20
    NoOoOoOoOoO... Kevin Gilbride had a hand in 2 Super Bowls, which mean his offense is the best in the last 7 years... Lifetime immunity, BABY!!!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts