+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

I'm sure you guys will LOVE this :)

How play calling is hindering the NY Giant offense

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...giants-offense

bleacherreport lol

where she writes a nice article she is dead wrong in some of her details which to me takes some credit away from a lot of what she says

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    bleacherreport lol

Patricia Traina has been covering the Giants for quite a while

she is a quality columnist

but she does make some key errors in this article

notable saying that the 3rd and 10 draw was the same play as the 2pt conversion draw

not the case at all...not even close really

Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    How play calling is hindering the NY Giant offense

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...giants-offense
    The link you provided also points to an excellent article by Connor Orr.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...edictable.html

....How predictable is the Giants offense in any given game? And at its core, how effective is it still?

First, here’s a breakdown of every personnel grouping the Giants used on Sunday, and how many times they used each one (you add in 5 offensive lineman plus 1 quarterback and the rest are receivers).

12 personnel (1 running back, 2 TE): 7
    20 personnel (2 running backs, 0 TE): 5
    21 personnel (2 running backs, 1 TE): 20
    22 personnel (2 running backs, 2 TE): 4
    02 personnel (0 running backs, 2 TE): 1
    10 personnel (1 running back, 0 TE): 2
    11 personnel (1 running back, 1 TE): 28

Total No. of snaps = 67, 12 total drives.

Next, we took a look at how many times Gilbride ran or passed out of each formation:

12 personnel: 6 runs and 1 pass (Manning was sacked). (86 percent runs)
    20 personnel: All 5 were run plays (100 percent runs)
    21 personnel: 12 plays were runs, 8 plays were passes (60 percent runs)
    02 personnel: Pass, obviously (100 percent passes)
    10 personnel: Both passes (100 percent passes)
    11 personnel: 22 passes, 4 runs, one delay of game and one neutral zone infraction (85 percent passes on non-penalty plays).

So his most unpredictable formation, the two running back, one TE set, was used on just 30 percent of the total snaps. All other formations, some with a very limited sample size, were far more unbalanced.

After that, we tried to measure the offense’s success rate, based on a grading scale one defensive coordinator provided me (this is just one way of thinking about things, obviously):

Did first down net four or more yards? Did second down cut the remaining distance in half? Did third down convert?

In the 11 personnel grouping, the one Gilbride used for the majority of plays, he had 11
    “successful” plays and 17 “unsuccessful” plays.
    Three of the successful plays were penalties on Dallas, though (Neutral zone infraction, pass interference and illegal use of the hands). Two of the unsuccessful plays (holding, delay of game) were also unsuccessful.

Some other interesting notes: None of the plays the Giants used in the 22 grouping were, by this scale, considered a success. The Giants had success on 60 percent of their plays out of the 21 grouping. Five of the seven plays run out of the “12” formation were also successful.....
    The patchwork Dallas linebackers were helpless in stopping the run, and yet, Gilbride not only didn't exploit it, but continued to lean on formations and plays that were unsuccessful.

Coughlin & Eli deserve a better offensive coordinator. Gilbride has to go.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 11-27-2013 at 06:51 PM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

"How the play calling is hindering the NY Giants."

I THOUGHT IT WAS ELI AND ONLY ELI??????
    Finalized divorce from Victor Michael Walker Cruz November 23rd, 2014. 9:16 PM.

Banned
    Sounds pretty dead on to me, 71% think Kildrive is the biggest problem with the offense in that poll too.

Quote Originally Posted by imstilripped View Post
    Sounds pretty dead on to me, 71% think Kildrive is the biggest problem with the offense in that poll too.

not sure how much I can trust someones football knowledge and play recognition who thinks the 3rd and 10 draw was the same play as the 2pt conversion draw.....but a well written article and I definitely agree with a lot of her points

i agree.

for me, the one thing i dont get at all, if KG is so hell bent on going downfield, why not utilize PA out of the more run oriented formations (2 rb, 1 te, 2 wr). with how effective we were running the ball on running downs, we could have used a hard sell play action and gone deep on a 9 route or deep post or something with the S and LB biting on the fake...we didnt see hardly any of that...just baffles me. he called a very weird, imo, bad game.

he got a pass too during the 4 game win streak. the offense was inept several of those wins. 5 friggin fgs bc we couldnt score a RZ TD vs philly? really?!? im off him. i had been almost defending him and at least not hating onhim as much stating i wouldnt be opposed if he were to return as long as he made changes to some issues i feel are blatant. but that was until the dallas game and the pathetic 1rst half and really 3rd quarter showing. im done wih him. this isnt a knee jerk reaction either. i conceded i fell victim to that before. im making my opinion based upon reason imo at least. done with KG. let him be a consultant or something like Moore was for Indy and Peyton but get him away from the OC job.

KEVIN KILLDRIVE

Don't call him that for nothing...

Year after year it is the same thing.

I would probably rank him in the bottom 5 of OCs in the league.