+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eli Manning: I canít remember why I didnít want to be a Charger

Eli Manning: I canít remember why I didnít want to be a Charger

In the 2004 NFL draft, the Chargers selected Eli Manning first overall. Manning was a Charger for an awkward half-hour during which he reiterated what he had said before the draft ó that he wouldnít play for the Chargers ó before San Diego traded him to the Giants. Now Manning is preparing to play the Chargers and the quarterback he was traded for, Philip Rivers, but Manning would prefer not to talk about the past.

Asked by reporters today why he didnít want to play for the Chargers, Manning answered, ďI forgot, I think.Ē

Pressed to go into detail, Manning refused.

ďI just canít remember, itís been 10 years. It slipped my mind,Ē Manning said, via Conor Orr of the Star-Ledger. ďTen years ago, I donít know. I canít remember.Ē

Manning did say he likes visiting the city of San Diego.

ďI have nothing against San Diego as a city,Ē Manning said. ďWe had our rookie symposium there and besides that, weíve had a few other things, I know itís a beautiful city and great weather. Thereís a lot of great things to it.Ē

Manning just didnít want to play there. And he wonít get a warm welcome there on Sunday.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-be-a-charger/

Draught night

I don't blame him. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Eli also doesn't remember the Vikings game where he threw what..4 INTs?

Sounds like he just didn't want to criticize the team he's about to play. Better off giving the reporters nothing.

Chargers organization expected Ryan Leaf to come in and understand every single facet of the gameplan, of the new organization, of what was expected of him. They never bothered to tell him what they expected of him, what he should gameplan for, or what the different facets of being a professional qb would be.

Peyton Manning had a first hand experience with Ryan's situation. Peyton's situation was the exact opposite, the Colts nurtured him in every way possible and the result was success.

Who wants to come out of the draft as the first overall pick and immediately become a bust?

I would never want to be drafted by a team, that, in order for it to be successful, I would have to take the reigns on every single aspect of my career AND all of the everyday stuff that already comes along with the job. There is enough stuff a QB has to deal with anyways, why would they also want to shoulder the total responsibility of an organization? The reason we love the Giants organization is the reason Eli didn't want to be a Charger. He could never say that out loud, though, you look like a donkey rear end for pointing out that some one else is a donkey rear end.
    Live and Die with the Giants

"I felt good today."
    -Eli Manning

are you seriously blaming the chargers for Leaf being a nut job? He's clearly not the brightest bulb in the box. Wasn't he arrested for trying to bring drugs in or out of Canada a few years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Sounds like he just didn't want to criticize the team he's about to play. Better off giving the reporters nothing.
    Always the safe play. It is like throwing a pass away out of bounds. It won't help but surely won't hurt either.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Eli probably can't remember what he ate for breakfast.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli's Giants View Post
    Eli probably can't remember what he ate for breakfast.
    Was it Captain Crunch or Dinosaur Egg Oatmeal?

That was probably best thing ever to say, instead of reporters blowing it out if proportion

+ Reply to Thread