+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by manton View Post
    Chargers organization expected Ryan Leaf to come in and understand every single facet of the gameplan, of the new organization, of what was expected of him. They never bothered to tell him what they expected of him, what he should gameplan for, or what the different facets of being a professional qb would be.

Peyton Manning had a first hand experience with Ryan's situation. Peyton's situation was the exact opposite, the Colts nurtured him in every way possible and the result was success.
    Years later, it turns out Peyton and Ryan Leaf formed a friendship before the draft and talked a lot with each other including during the season. Peyton got an inside window on how SD did things and how it was the opposite of what the Colts did for him.

Veteran
    The following is just my opinion, but I think what happened to Leaf is why Eli didn't want to go to SD. Tiki and Shockey tried to do it to Eli in NY, but the cream rose to the top and those guys are no longer in football.

Quote Originally Posted by manton View Post
    Chargers organization expected Ryan Leaf to come in and understand every single facet of the gameplan, of the new organization, of what was expected of him. They never bothered to tell him what they expected of him, what he should gameplan for, or what the different facets of being a professional qb would be.

Peyton Manning had a first hand experience with Ryan's situation. Peyton's situation was the exact opposite, the Colts nurtured him in every way possible and the result was success.

Who wants to come out of the draft as the first overall pick and immediately become a bust?

I would never want to be drafted by a team, that, in order for it to be successful, I would have to take the reigns on every single aspect of my career AND all of the everyday stuff that already comes along with the job. There is enough stuff a QB has to deal with anyways, why would they also want to shoulder the total responsibility of an organization? The reason we love the Giants organization is the reason Eli didn't want to be a Charger. He could never say that out loud, though, you look like a donkey rear end for pointing out that some one else is a donkey rear end.
    What are you babbling about....how could you possibly know any of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Yeah, this is pretty much Eli saying, "I don't really feel like rehashing this decade old story. Find another story, d-bags."
    Seriously we still need to talk about this, does anyone even care. I remember Charger fans agreeing with Elis decision after he won his 2nd Super Bowl
    saying their franchise really does suck. Its like with me and the Knicks I dont blame anyone for not wanting to play for that train wreck

Eli doesn't remember his interceptions. He forgets them right after they happen.

On a serious note though, I went to SD a few years back before the 2nd SB win. Those SD fans were so happy Eli didnt want to play for them saying they got a bunch in return for an average QB. I quickly reminded them that the average QB did something their superstar QB can not do, and thats all that matters. Then he did it again.
    Last edited by TheAnalyst; 12-05-2013 at 07:55 AM.

Veteran
    Eli made a business decision...like somebody already mentioned. He saw what happened to Leaf in SD...Jr. Seau was really a prick, btw. He was placed in a position of # 1 prospect prior to the draft, and used it as leverage, as any smart businessman would do.

When you or I interview for jobs and have choices, we pick the one most suitable for us. Most NFL players don't have a choice, but it appears the majority feel that even if you do have a choice, you shouldn't use it when it comes to the NFL. Those people never imagined if it were them and what would they do.

Finally, when we choose an employer, most of us don't have to consider what effect it will have on our body and it's welfare. An NFL QB, however, probably has that pretty high on his priority list.

All JMO.

One of the most awkward moments in NFL history.

He prefers Hoboken to San Diego

Who wouldn't

Quote Originally Posted by BParcells777 View Post
    He prefers Hoboken to San Diego

Who wouldn't
    Right!

Why is this even a story a decade later??
    To anyone who criticized Eli for not wanting to be a Charger, is that any different than any beloved player leaving a team for more money?
    That's standard practice nowadays and nobody criticizes that.
    Archie Manning's greatness as a player was wasted and lost on very bad teams, and he didn't want that happening to his son. Thats what good fathers do....they want better for their kids and councel them accordingly.