+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    "I test how other people deal with reality"
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmet View Post
    ...as you assured him when you met him!
    yeah ,its true we won 2sb's with him. yeah he isnt perfect or what ever but has that come back ability and calmness EA saw in him. there is no rebuttle when ased was the trade worth it. what would a GM give for 2 sb's? So i had to give EA his props. sad how no one in manhattan in a huge apple store knew who he even was.

Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    yeah ,its true we won 2sb's with him. yeah he isnt perfect or what ever but has that come back ability and calmness EA saw in him. there is no rebuttle when ased was the trade worth it. what would a GM give for 2 sb's? So i had to give EA his props. sad how no one in manhattan in a huge apple store knew who he even was.
    Wow. but decent of you to go up to him. I remember reading a story that after giants won sb42 someone congratulated Ernie on eli working out and he wrote on a napkin that he thinks he's got a couple more in him. I'll look for the story
    #80 true blue

Quote Originally Posted by Helmet View Post
    Wow. but decent of you to go up to him. I remember reading a story that after giants won sb42 someone congratulated Ernie on eli working out and he wrote on a napkin that he thinks he's got a couple more in him. I'll look for the story

it was just by chance i was getting my iphone speaker fixed and he was at the same station i was told to wait. i said oh that looks like EA he had a yankees cap on and i asked the tech that was helping him if his first name was ernie, and he said yes. i spoke to him for a few minutes while waiting and he was very very nice to talk to me. i said i wanted big ben lol , he said oh you were one of those that was dissing me for that huh. I said yes at first but i had also liked his other draft picks like shockey.

funny thing was he was getting his ipad fixed or set up but he still wrote in and carried a notepad i thought y , but then i realized he was smart the note pad wont freeze up or lose all its content like an ipad would so some old school methods are better.

bottom line is no matter what the trade was worth it and i saw EA's point that even in a game he scouted Eli threw high and threw 2ints he still came back to win that game.

it was just by chance i was getting my iphone speaker fixed and he was at the same station i was told to wait. i said oh that looks like EA he had a yankees cap on and i asked the tech that was helping him if his first name was ernie, and he said yes. i spoke to him for a few minutes while waiting and he was very very nice to talk to me. i said i wanted big ben lol , he said oh you were one of those that was dissing me for that huh. I said yes at first but i had also liked his other draft picks like shockey.

funny thing was he was getting his ipad fixed or set up but he still wrote in and carried a notepad i thought y , but then i realized he was smart the note pad wont freeze up or lose all its content like an ipad would so some old school methods are better.

bottom line is no matter what the trade was worth it and i saw EA's point that even in a game he scouted Eli threw high and threw 2ints he still came back to win that game.
    Ha yeah. I still find that scouting report Ernie did on Eli to be somewhat fascinating. Everything he wrote was basically spot on. he was definitely enamored if not star struck by eli and the the intangible qualities he saw in him ("call it magic"). and willing to overlook the interceptions. And he here we are today- two Super Bowls and lots of interceptions later
    #80 true blue

Also, I think eli was redemption for Ernie. He felt snakebite from the '83 draft when elway refused to play for Baltimore. Ernie wouldn't lose his Elway again. This time he was going to get his guy
    #80 true blue

Banned
    this is true thats y the 2 sb debate doesnt hold water. its a team accomplishment. it is the reason QB a can throw 1 td and 1 int and still win a game while the other throws 3td's and loses.
    The super bowls do hold some water. It shows picking eli was the right decision. 2 championships in 5 years is an incredible feat. Many equally or more talented teams in history barely even get to sniff one

Eli isnt a glamorous QB. What he does isnt reflected in the stat sheet.

The traits that get him labeled a "doofus" are the traits that keep him calm under duress and he gets the job done pretty or not

Eli has some big faults but he is one of the most poised QB in history and that allows him to overcome his weaknesses when he needs to

Quote Originally Posted by DSP View Post
    The super bowls do hold some water. It shows picking eli was the right decision. 2 championships in 5 years is an incredible feat. Many equally or more talented teams in history barely even get to sniff one

Eli isnt a glamorous QB. What he does isnt reflected in the stat sheet.

The traits that get him labeled a "doofus" are the traits that keep him calm under duress and he gets the job done pretty or not

Eli has some big faults but he is one of the most poised QB in history and that allows him to overcome his weaknesses when he needs to

well said , good points. i think the point is if the Giants had a more steady QB rather than the up and down and load of int, it wouldnt be so hard. but then again as you said Eli;s calm and comeback ability comes in handy.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DSP View Post
    he is one of the most poised QB in history and that allows him to overcome his weaknesses when he needs to
    One weakness that is particularly troubling...Gilbrideonite.

Banned
    well said , good points. i think the point is if the Giants had a more steady QB rather than the up and down and load of int, it wouldnt be so hard. but then again as you said Eli;s calm and comeback ability comes in handy.
    How many SBs would we have won with Philip Rivers a statistically far better QB? You have no idea and its like trying to compare Babe Ruth to Mikey Mantle
    Can't be done

Quote Originally Posted by BParcells777 View Post
    How many SBs would we have won with Philip Rivers a statistically far better QB? You have no idea and its like trying to compare Babe Ruth to Mikey Mantle
    Can't be done
    that is true jakk we will never know , and to be honest 2 is very hard in such a short span. i think my main issue is id like a team to be competitive and make the playoffs more than we have with Eli at the helm.