http://bigstory.ap.org/article/jon-b...medium=Twitter

The one problem for the Giants is that Beason has one year left on a renegotiated contract that will pay him $1 million this season. He becomes a free agent at the end of the year unless the Giants re-sign him.

Drew Rosenhaus, Beason's agent, said in an email to The Associated Press on Thursday that he could not discuss whether he is in talks with the team about retaining the former University of Miami player.

Coach Tom Coughlin brushed aside the topic of next year on Thursday, saying he is focused on this week.

Given a choice, Beason would like to stay, adding he'll worry about next year down the road.

"I am enjoying it," Beason said. "The team has welcomed me. I like the city. We're winning, we're trending upward. I think we are going to be a scary team that next year, or if we get help this year and get in the dance, we can do some things. For me, this is where I want to be. All I can control is my performance and the team will do what is best for the team."

Most of the Giants didn't know what to expect when general manager Jerry Reese made the deal for Beason, who missed most of the past two seasons with an Achilles' tendon injury, shoulder and knee injuries. He had lost his starting job to Luke Kuechly and was on the Panthers' bench when the trade was made.
Article makes some good points. I wonder if he keeps up this rate how big of a contract he's going to demand. He's had a solid season, but he's pretty injury prone over the past couple years. And a lot of people crap on our defense, but I think we're a solid pass rusher, LB and DC away from having a real competitive defense.

Next year, we'll have around $14 million of cap space to start with (assuming we don't cut Snee, Rolle, etc)