+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants' RT Justin Pugh Compares Favorably So Far To Chargers' DJ Fluker

Giants' RT Justin Pugh Compares Favorably So Far To Chargers' DJ Fluker

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...dj_fluker.html

Excerpt: "On one side, there will be Giants rookie right tackle Justin Pugh, the 19th overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft out of Syracuse. On the other side Sunday in San Diego, there will be D.J. Fluker, the 11th overall pick by the Chargers out of Alabama.

They were the fourth and fifth offensive tackles selected in this year’s draft. To Pugh, the order in which they were selected doesn’t matter. The doubters, not his contemporaries, drive him.

“It’s not more me competing against guys I know are good players and I played with at the Senior Bowl. They’re all good guys and I hope they do well, except when they are going against some of our guys,” Pugh said. “But I think the biggest thing I want to prove wrong are the people who said I couldn’t play tackle in the NFL, or the people who said I couldn’t do this or that, my arms are too short, I’m not big enough. I think that is what drives me.”

Pugh’s 31½-inch arms were well documented prior to the draft. Most pundits thought with that limitation he was best suited to play guard.

But the Syracuse product played left tackle in college. He wanted to play tackle in the pros. He relishes the opportunity to prove the critics wrong.

“I want to prove that I can play tackle, I can play guard, I can play center if I need to,” Pugh said. “I want to be that versatile guy that I told the Giants why they should draft me.”

The Giants have plugged Pugh in at right tackle. He’s started all 12 games and progressively improved. The transition hasn’t always been easy.

“My pass set on the right side [is the most difficult change] because I’m moving from the left side where my kick step feels very comfortable, second nature,” he said. “Now moving to the right, everything is flipped.”

Comparatively, the transition has still gone well. Of the five offensive tackles selected in the first round (Kansas City’s Eric Fisher, Jacksonville’s Luke Joeckel, Philadelphia’s Lane Johnson, Fluker and Pugh), Pugh has the highest 2013 grade, according to Pro Football Focus. He’s allowed just three sacks this season and eight hurries in his last seven games. Pugh allowed 24 in his first five games.

Fluker has played some right and left tackle. He’s also allowed three sacks, but 14 pressures in his last three games on the left side.

Pugh hears and sees how the other rookie tackles are doing. He knows most of them pretty well. Pugh and Fluker spent time together during the pre-draft process. They were the first non-seniors (even though they had already graduated) to play in the Senior Bowl. And he receives constant updates from his friends on Johnson and the Eagles. Pugh grew up in the Philadelphia suburbs.

“He’s been playing better, too, I heard,” Pugh said. “All my friends are Eagles fans. At the beginning of the year, they were all like, ‘Dude, I wish we had you instead.’” Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

He has done a nice job for us. Wouldn't mind seeing him at LT next year. I think we know what we have in Beatty at this point in his career. We can probably hide him better on the right side and cover him with our next TE who has serious blocking skills.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    He has done a nice job for us. Wouldn't mind seeing him at LT next year. I think we know what we have in Beatty at this point in his career. We can probably hide him better on the right side and cover him with our next TE who has serious blocking skills.
    If I recall correctly, one of Pugh's upside qualities was he has played all line position except for center. SO, it might not be as much of a transition for him after a year at RT getting his feet wet,
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    If I recall correctly, one of Pugh's upside qualities was he has played all line position except for center. SO, it might not be as much of a transition for him after a year at RT getting his feet wet,
    Short of some miracle with Beatty, it is hard to imagine that Pugh wouldn't be a meaningful upgrade for us at LT which is far more critical than RT.

Short of some miracle with Beatty, it is hard to imagine that Pugh wouldn't be a meaningful upgrade for us at LT which is far more critical than RT.
    I'm hoping this season for Beatty is a aberration, but Pugh does give us a ready made option

bad value pick
    didnt follow the conforms of drafting 101
    could have gotten him in the second round (although the Bears would have taken him with the next pick)
    you never ever take a RT with the first pick
    JR messed up with not getting Winston so he HAD to pick Pugh

above are just some of the things the drafting gurus pissed and moaned about
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

I think it needs to be considered next year.

The good thing about offensive lineman is that they are usually capable of playing mulitple positions.

For example, Barrett Jones, the guy we should have drafted in the 4th round at center, played everyOL position at Alabama.

In rounds 2-4, instead of trying to draft "Super Athletes", I'd love it if they can find a tough, smart, versatile lineman.

We really don't need the World's Greatest Athlete......I know that is what Reese is looking for every ****ing round.......just put away your Magic Beans and find us some decent offensive lineman, Jerry......let Coughlin do the rest with them.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 12-06-2013 at 03:04 PM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    ............along with everything else, yes. I am hoping for a couple of new pieces along that front including a TE. Maybe Robinson's breakout year.........or not. We shall see Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post

The good thing about offensive lineman is that they are usually capable of playing mulitple positions.

For example, Barrett Jones, the guy we should have drafted in the 4th round at center, played everyOL position at Alabama.

In rounds 2-4, instead of trying to draft "Super Athletes", I'd love it if they can find a tough, smart, versatile lineman.

We really don't need the World's Greatest Athlete......I know that is what Reese is looking for every ****ing round.......just put away your Magic Beans and find us some decent offensive lineman, Jerry......let Coughlin do the rest with them.
    It should be an interesting camp

Barrett Jones' "versatility" has gotten him nothing. He's a third string OL for STL.

+ Reply to Thread