+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    Sash? Seriously? He would be the fifth safety if Stevie Brown weren't injured. Maybe sixth since I don't think Cooper Taylor is that far off.

So you should also chastise Seattle and Buffalo's coaching staff since they, too, released Ojomo. Torrain is still unsigned by any other team.
    Sash was like Tyree......a ST wonderkind

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue&WhitePride View Post
    What is most important Jerry Reese has nailed the first round picks. Yes he has had some misses in the rounds after mixed in.
    Nailed it? Wilson? Come on, man.

Part of the problem, in addition to very bad drafting, is that the new picks that had early success (Phillips, JPP, Steve Smith, Nicks, etc.) is that the team has failed to manage their health well. Phillips was mad because he felt his situation was mismanaged, JPP was forced into action way too soon after having surgery way too late, etc. Nicks has been unhealthy the last 2 years, so he is sure to be allowed to leave. The end result is that by the time their contracts are up, they do not want to pay these guys because their health is so bad, that you can't commit any money to them. They haven't had a chance to show what they can do with both experience and health. The end result is they leave and a year later, they are done altogether.

We need some guys who are not only good, but last 8-10-12-14 years where you are not in constant replacement mode. When you are in that mode, you are doing little more than spinning your wheels. And with the poor yields in the last 4-5 drafts, we are doing worse than that!! That's why we are where we are.

The personnel department and their methods for procuring talent need serious analysis!! Our medical/training staff needs the same review!!
    Last edited by DINO FLORIDA; 12-17-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Not sure you can say yes on Moore, he has hardly played.
    Beatty is a big NO.
    Kuhn has been OK for a 7th round pick.
    I agree with your assessment of Prince, good cover guy but a lack of toughness.

Here's how I consider everyone in terms of how they panned out as a draft pick. (This does affect Andre Brown, who is technically a FA pickup and did jack **** for us as a draft pick)

I also give "minor value" tags to some folks that contribute as backups or ST, but only if picked in the 4th round or later...

2009:
    1-Nicks: Value
    2-Sintim: Bust
    2-Beatty: Undecided
    3-Barden: Bust
    3-Beckum: Bust
    4-Brown: Injury
    5-Bomar: Bust
    6-Wright: Bust
    7-Woodson: Bust

2010:
    1-JPP: Value
    2-Joseph: Value
    3-Jones: Injury
    4-Dillard: Bust
    5-Petrus: minor value as backup
    6-Tracy: minor value as backup
    7-Dodge: **** you.

2011:
    1-Amukamara: Value
    2-Austin: Bust/Injury
    3-Jernigan: Undecided (would have labelled him bust, but he led the team in receiving yards against seattle in his limited playing time.)
    4-Brewer: Bust
    5-Jones: Bust
    6-Sash: minor value as ST
    7-Williams: Value (for a 7th rounder)

2012:
    1-Wilson: Injury
    2-Randle: Value
    3-Hosley: Undecided (would have labelled "minor value as a backup" with a lower pick)
    4-Robinson: Injury
    4-Mosley: Undecided (leaning towards bust though)
    6-McCants: Bust
    7-Kuhn: Injury

2013:
    1-Pugh: Value
    2-Hankins: Value
    3-Moore: Value
    4-Nassib: no value (not saying bust, but terrible decision to pick when we had Eli already at the time... if it turns out he actually is the QB of the future, than potential value is there, but i'm not holding my breath.)
    5-Taylor: minor value as ST
    7-Herman: undecided
    7-Cox: minor value as backup
    Last edited by Toadofsteel; 12-17-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Looking back at our drafts since 09 Im not as big of a fan of Reese as I once was..... When you put it like that, right in front of ya, it really hits home and you realize how many picks were blown and how many people we missed on drafting
    Round1: AA-Ron Donald, DT, Pitt
    Round2: Kareem Martin, UNC, DE
    Round3: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
    Round4: Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
    Round5: Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
    Round5: Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    Here's how I consider everyone in terms of how they panned out as a draft pick. (This does affect Andre Brown, who is technically a FA pickup and did jack **** for us as a draft pick)

I also give "minor value" tags to some folks that contribute as backups or ST, but only if picked in the 4th round or later...

2009:
    1-Nicks: Value
    2-Sintim: Bust
    2-Beatty: Undecided
    3-Barden: Bust
    3-Beckum: Bust
    4-Brown: Injury
    5-Bomar: Bust
    6-Wright: Bust
    7-Woodson: Bust

2010:
    1-JPP: Value
    2-Joseph: Value
    3-Jones: Injury
    4-Dillard: Bust
    5-Petrus: minor value as backup
    6-Tracy: minor value as backup
    7-Dodge: **** you.

2011:
    1-Amukamara: Value
    2-Austin: Bust/Injury
    3-Jernigan: Undecided (would have labelled him bust, but he led the team in receiving yards against seattle in his limited playing time.)
    4-Brewer: Bust
    5-Jones: Bust
    6-Sash: minor value as ST
    7-Williams: Value (for a 7th rounder)

2012:
    1-Wilson: Injury
    2-Randle: Value
    3-Hosley: Undecided (would have labelled "minor value as a backup" with a lower pick)
    4-Robinson: Injury
    4-Mosley: Undecided (leaning towards bust though)
    6-McCants: Bust
    7-Kuhn: Injury

2013:
    1-Pugh: Value
    2-Hankins: Value
    3-Moore: Value
    4-Nassib: no value (not saying bust, but terrible decision to pick when we had Eli already at the time... if it turns out he actually is the QB of the future, than potential value is there, but i'm not holding my breath.)
    5-Taylor: minor value as ST
    7-Herman: undecided
    7-Cox: minor value as backup
    Thanks for the recap Toad. I rest my case. And by the way, there is no way that we can call DaMontre Moore a value yet but I know where you are coming from. How many more years can we put up with horrible talent evaluations by the front office? If JR doesn't have the stones to shake up the scouting staff for whatever reason then we need a new GM. Those results are AWFUL!!
    No one remembers who came in second.

How can 5th-7th rounders bust when they have little expecations to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    How can 5th-7th rounders bust when they have little expecations to begin with?
    Because a few of them turn out to be nice keepers with teams who know how to spot talent. We basically have a batting average of zero. And by the way, many undrafted rookie free agents make NFL rosters. They didn't even get drafted so I think it is way to generous to our scouts to let them off the hook by calling 5th -7th round picks low expectations.

If you believe that, then you should go back and read what our GM said about each one after we selected them.
    Then look at how other teams have done with the draft in the middle to late rounds.

By the way, I am not sure this belongs in the draft thread. It is an evaluation of how the team is being run, not a recap or even dicussion of the draft per se as we would during and after a new draft.

This thread cuts to the heart of how our GM and his scouts evaluate talent and the answer is............NOT GOOD!
    Therefore I think it is more appropriately placed in the general Giants football section...........but that's just me,