+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    You're writing too many guys off and expecting way too much from late round picks. Jacquain Williams has been more than fine for a 6th rounder, same with Kuhn he's exceeded expectations as a 7th rounder. Its also too early to write off Jernigan and Mosley. I don't think either have been given a fair shake. Its also ridiculous to judge last year's class right now, not even going to comment on that.

Quote Originally Posted by EliIsTheBaas View Post
    You're writing too many guys off and expecting way too much from late round picks. Jacquain Williams has been more than fine for a 6th rounder, same with Kuhn he's exceeded expectations as a 7th rounder. Its also too early to write off Jernigan and Mosley. I don't think either have been given a fair shake. Its also ridiculous to judge last year's class right now, not even going to comment on that.
    I agree it is way too soon to evaluate last years class that is why we go back to 2009 to see how things have been working out and sadly...........they have not been working out at all. That dearth of talent is why we have a losing record.
    No one remembers who came in second.

2009 is cringe inducing, so many high picks that turned into clouds of dust.

This is how I would assess the picks. Rounds 5-7 should have not much expectation for the team, any solid contribution should be a plus IMO...

2009:
    1-Nicks: Solid pick
    2-Sintim: Bust
    2-Beatty: Pretty good pick (If he repeats his performance of this year than will lean towards bust)
    3-Barden: Bust
    3-Beckum: Bust
    4-Brown: Injured (but panned out after we signed him again)
    5-Bomar: Wasted pick
    6-Wright: Didn't pan out
    7-Woodson: Didn't pan out

2010:
    1-JPP: Solid pick
    2-Joseph: Good pick
    3-Jones: Injued (unfortunate)
    4-Dillard: Little value if any
    5-Petrus: Decent pick (Average backup OL)
    6-Tracy: Decent pick (Contributed on ST's and not much on defense)
    7-Dodge: no comment

2011:
    1-Amukamara: Solid pick
    2-Austin: Poor pick (Injuries and limited production)
    3-Jernigan: Too early (showing some potential as of late)
    4-Brewer: Below Average (Backup OL who has been pretty dang bad lately)
    5-Jones: Below Average (Contributed a bit on defense and ST's)
    6-Sash: Decent pick (I thought he never really got a shot on D but played solid on ST's)
    7-Williams: Good pick (A lot of production for a late rounder)

2012:
    1-Wilson: Too early (Showed flashes but injured)
    2-Randle: Good pick
    3-Hosley: Too early (Played good as of late)
    4-Robinson: Too early (Bust if he does nothing next year)
    4-Mosley: Decent pick (leaning towards bust though)
    6-McCants: Didn't pan out
    7-Kuhn: Solid pick (contributed well for a 7th rounder when healthy)

2013: (Pugh was a good pick but too early to judge on the others)
    1-Pugh
    2-Hankins
    3-Moore
    4-Nassib
    5-Taylor:
    7-Herman
    7-Cox

S/O to Flip Empty for the sig

Quote Originally Posted by EliIsTheBaas View Post
    My post was more directed in a sense as where are our playmakers? Jac Williams was a good pick - as a rotational LB. He lacks pass rush and run stopping skills and is above average at covering TE. Hes not a gamechanger.

I think after 3 seasons its time to write off Jernigan. A high draft pick with how many catches? He can't get on the field. If the system worked for him why was Hixon above him - even Barden above him. They signed Louis Murphy to play above him. He had a couple catches recently and hes good? Cmon now. He's Sinorice Moss 2.0.

Just mentioned this in the JR post. Our drafts have stunk. He have not drafted many game changers. Seattle is stacked with hard nose players but they are not superstars. Where and how did they get so good so quick. Pete carroll struggled with the Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    Because a few of them turn out to be nice keepers with teams who know how to spot talent. We basically have a batting average of zero. And by the way, many undrafted rookie free agents make NFL rosters. They didn't even get drafted so I think it is way to generous to our scouts to let them off the hook by calling 5th -7th round picks low expectations.

If you believe that, then you should go back and read what our GM said about each one after we selected them.
    Then look at how other teams have done with the draft in the middle to late rounds.
    The point was weighing a 5th-7th round with the same expectations of success as a 1st or second is beyond absurd. For every one of those UDFAs that pan out into a long term player [not even including starter or even pro bowler], there are maybe 100 that don't stay in the league for more than 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by GMan1011 View Post
    My post was more directed in a sense as where are our playmakers? Jac Williams was a good pick - as a rotational LB. He lacks pass rush and run stopping skills and is above average at covering TE. Hes not a gamechanger.

I think after 3 seasons its time to write off Jernigan. A high draft pick with how many catches? He can't get on the field. If the system worked for him why was Hixon above him - even Barden above him. They signed Louis Murphy to play above him. He had a couple catches recently and hes good? Cmon now. He's Sinorice Moss 2.0.
    But it's foolish to blast the pick in hindsight, when within context made a lot of sense. The Giants were actively seeking for a slot corner after Steve Smith [and Hixon] came off devastating and potentially career altering injuries, and Smith unexpectedly leaving via FA. The team really was lucky that Cruz broke out that season. Had he not, I'm sure the boards would be whining about how Reese didn't even look for a replacement for Smith.

Even with Barden, the Giants had a young Smith and Manningham with no real substantial numbers and a fellow rookie in Nicks. He was an added project in what was the team's biggest need in that offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    Thanks for the recap Toad. I rest my case. And by the way, there is no way that we can call DaMontre Moore a value yet but I know where you are coming from. How many more years can we put up with horrible talent evaluations by the front office? If JR doesn't have the stones to shake up the scouting staff for whatever reason then we need a new GM. Those results are AWFUL!!
    I wasn't arguing against it, I was just trying to put out there what I felt were the specifics. Also, yes, I may have given Moore value prematurely. He's already shown his worth on ST on the punt coverage unit, and I think he will be a good DE from the right side (put JPP on the left as he is a better run defender these days and is slowly developing into Strahan 2.0, hope he comes back with a vengeance in 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

It is a lot harder to constantly nail game changers picking in the back half of the draft year after year. IMO, top 10 picks should be your game changers. aftet that, its really a crap shoot.

5trive for Fiv5