+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by GMan1011 View Post
    My post was more directed in a sense as where are our playmakers? Jac Williams was a good pick - as a rotational LB. He lacks pass rush and run stopping skills and is above average at covering TE. Hes not a gamechanger.

I think after 3 seasons its time to write off Jernigan. A high draft pick with how many catches? He can't get on the field. If the system worked for him why was Hixon above him - even Barden above him. They signed Louis Murphy to play above him. He had a couple catches recently and hes good? Cmon now. He's Sinorice Moss 2.0.
    Yeah, my point was just don't place the same "gamechanger" expectations on 6th and 7th round guys. JW has shown some value as a purely cover LB, I think lots would take that from a 7th rounder. Same with Kuhn, if he can be part of the rotation as a 7th rounder and make your final 53, that's pretty good for a player that was passed on 200 some odd times in the 7th round.

The thing with JJ is that he's too small to operate anywhere outside of the slot, and since Cruz does most of his work in the slot, it's tough to crack with arguably the best slotback in the league is ahead you. He probably will never end up developing quite like we hoped, but with Cruz down now we'll get a full look at him finally and see what he can do.

You are definitely correct about the lack of homeruns though.

Yes, it's unexpected to tell who pans out. I just wish, like many that these guys panned out a little longer. We just seem to be getting a bunch of fill ins year in and year out.I feel like we always have constant holes for the past 4 years in our secondary and LB core. Would be nice to be like San Fran and know we're coming in every year with guys named Bowman, Willis and Brooks. Then also be happy with linemen like Justin Smith and Aldon Smith, even throw McDonald in there.
    Yes its unexpected to tell who pans out, but you make your chances better when you actually draft BPA....We do BPA occasionally,not often enough......Taking Chad Jones over Bowman & Dillard over Geno Atkins are perfect examples of needing to draft BPA no matter what

Quote Originally Posted by myles2424 View Post
    Yes its unexpected to tell who pans out, but you make your chances better when you actually draft BPA....We do BPA occasionally,not often enough......Taking Chad Jones over Bowman & Dillard over Geno Atkins are perfect examples of needing to draft BPA no matter what
    That's assuming that both those players were ranked higher. No team really knew how good Geno Atkins was going to be, or else he wouldn't have lasted as long as he did. Our staff just missed like the 31 other teams, 30 if you give the Bengals kudos, which I will.

Where are the gamechangers? - Who's panned out since 2009.

2009:

yes - Nicks 1
    no - Sintim 2 (poor LB pick)
    yes/no/who knows anymore - Beatty 2
    no - Barden 3
    no - Beckum 3
    yes - Andre Brown 4 (even though we cut him a couple of times)
    no - Rhett Bomar 5
    no - DeAndre Wright 6
    no - Stoney Woodson

2010:

Solid first 2 picks.Petrus stepped up when needed last season, however he has not factored into anything. Adrian Tracy was always the man with all expectations.

yes - Pierre-Paul 1
    yes - Linval Joseph 2
    no - Chad Jones 3 (circumstances)
    no - Dillard 4 (failed LB)
    no - Petrus 5 (in my opinion never given proper opportunity - however did not work out)
    no - Adrian Tracy 6 (same as above)
    no - Matt Dodge 7 (nothing to say)

2011:

Worst draft year by far. Somewhat set the team back a year with all of the misses.

yes - Prince Amakumara 1(above average CB, lacks physicaility and size)
    no - Marvin Austin 2 (Reese's worst high pick - off team)
    no - Jerrel Jernigan 3 (almost equally as bad as above)
    no - Brewer 4
    no - Greg Jones 6
    no - Tyler Sash 6
    no - Jacquian Williams 6 (servicable)

2012:

In retrospect Round 1 could have been the Doug Martin pick. However once he went off the board we should have went right to serious needs at OL/LB. Reese's miss on OL this draft totally set this team up for it's currect OL failures.

no (as of now) - David Wilson 1 (lacks rb blocking skills, size - underutilized in his strengths - screens/split out wide - career also in jeopardy)
    yes- Rueben Randle 2 (however will not turn out to be the Hakeem Nicks we saw from 09-11)
    yes - Jayron Hosley 3 (somewhat panned out - no more than a Nickel CB)
    no - Adrien Robinson 4 (bust - let's all admit it)
    no - Brandon Mosley 4
    no - McCants 6
    no - Markus Kuhn 7

2013:

Based on expectations of rounds 1-3... Very early to tell. Just my opinions. I think Picks 1-3 will be solid for us these next few seasons.
    Could be his best draft since 2009.

yes - Pugh 1
    yes - Jonathan Hankins 2 (make up pick for Marvin Austin)
    yes - Damontre Moore 3
    no - Nassib 4 (this pick should have went OL or LB)
    no - Cooper Taylor 5
    no - Eric Herman 7
    yes - Michael Cox 7 (no more than a return man)
    Reeses success has kinda halted a bit since the 06-09 range of drafts. When we were pulling Boss's and Bradshaws in the late rds. Also, Coughllin needs to give some of these kids more run early on. Its not always good to put ur rooks on the bench. There are certain criteria i'd use, but i'd not be all against playing rooks early if thats what was needed. I don't think its conincidence i haven't liked many of are last 2-3 drafts. Of course i got tore up by quite a few people on these boards for saying so, but it certainly hasent been a total surprise to me(albeit, i still expect a GM to be right over me, so its alittle surprising).

Quote Originally Posted by EliIsTheBaas View Post
    That's assuming that both those players were ranked higher. No team really knew how good Geno Atkins was going to be, or else he wouldn't have lasted as long as he did. Our staff just missed like the 31 other teams, 30 if you give the Bengals kudos, which I will.
    Idk, watching him in college it wasn't a secret that he was legit...if I'm not mistaken he was passed on because his size