+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL wants a Saints - Packers NFC Championship game

Re: NFL wants a Saints - Packers NFC Championship game

[quote user="NYfanatic"][quote user="jhamburg"][quote user="Bread"][quote user="TroyArcher"]The Giants and 49ers will have to overcome the zebras to win next week.[/quote]New York and San Francisco are the bigger markets.[/quote]

You know what's a bigger market than New York? The whole country, who wants to see the two best teams and QBs play each other in the championship.[/quote]
    NY makes more money for the NFL if they are constantly better then the whole league. Their is a reason why the Yankees are the most valued franchise in the world and the knicks are the #2 or somthing most valued franchise in the NBA even after a decade of crap. NY > Every other team in the USA.
    [/quote]

I repsectfully disagree. New York is huge and has many, many people. But the Yankees are a horrible example of New York's power over television markets. The Yankees are popular because they have been around and have been winning forever, thus everyone loves to hate them (ala, Cowboys, Lakers, etc)

Yes, there's a lot of east coast biased and everything related, but the New York Giants (barring a dynasty) will not command the television presence of teams like the Patriots, Packers, Steelers, and even though we suck, Cowboys.

More than the Saints? Yeah probably.

Also, The refs get paid by the NFL, not the networks. The Networks have something to gain from more viewers, but the NFL has already been paid by the Networks.

Yes when it's time to renegotiate contracts, the NFL would like to have leverage by pointing out good ratings, but the last thing the NFL and Goodell wants is controversy like MLB.

[quote user="NYCDBS"][quote user="NYfanatic"][quote user="jhamburg"][quote user="Bread"][quote user="TroyArcher"]The Giants and 49ers will have to overcome the zebras to win next week.[/quote]New York and San Francisco are the bigger markets.[/quote]

You know what's a bigger market than New York? The whole country, who wants to see the two best teams and QBs play each other in the championship.[/quote]
    NY makes more money for the NFL if they are constantly better then the whole league. Their is a reason why the Yankees are the most valued franchise in the world and the knicks are the #2 or somthing most valued franchise in the NBA even after a decade of crap. NY > Every other team in the USA.
    [/quote]

Actually the most valuable sports franchise in the world is Manchester United... The Yankees are close though.[/quote]

Yup.

1. Man United 1.86 billion
    2. Dallas Cowboys 1.81
    3. NY Yankees 1.7
    4. Washington Redskins 1.55
    5. Real Madrid 1.45

Veteran

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="NYCDBS"][quote user="NYfanatic"][quote user="jhamburg"][quote user="Bread"][quote user="TroyArcher"]The Giants and 49ers will have to overcome the zebras to win next week.[/quote]New York and San Francisco are the bigger markets.[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually the most valuable sports franchise in the world is Manchester United... The Yankees are close though.[/quote]

Yup.

1. Man United 1.86 billion
    2. Dallas Cowboys 1.81
    3. NY Yankees 1.7
    4. Washington Redskins 1.55
    5. Real Madrid 1.45
    [/quote]

Seems crazy to me that football teams would even be in the top 10, compared to baseball teams. I mean I know football is the most popular sport but in baseball you have literally 10 times as many games to make money from.

I guess maybe players are so expensive in baseball though.

Bench Player

I completely agree. Ultimately the NFL wants either the Saints or the Packers in the Super Bowl with the Patriots.

NFL uses Jeff Triplette and crew to officiate key games for those teams in their favor.

Look at this thread within this forum to see videos of back to back weeks of questionable calls by this officiating crew. One week against the Giants (vs Packers) the very next week the same crew protecting Tom Brady with bogus phantom calls.

http://boards.giants.com/forums/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=2417481#2417481

[quote user="weeds123"]Really .... really?

Television markets?? That's what it's all about? ...and the NFL would jeopardize their cash cow by 'cooking' the game? I've heard this crap at nearly every fan site I've been at. Say that the officiating is an inexact principle ... say that it's too subjective to human error .... say something non-committal that make you out to sound like you're awaiting part two of the partial lobotomy that you've obviously already received....Good gawd man, you sound like a Viking or Lion fan [:'(] My question to you, TroyArcher would be this: Are you old enough to remember what football was like before ESPN started broadcasting? I would bet not ....

Need I remind you that last year's Super Bowl was the most watched and had the highest rating of any television broadcast ever (all categories, not just sports...) .... little ol' Green Bay and middle of the top-20 Pittsburgh. Market size doesn't matter ... Packers fans are flippin' EVERYWHERE, brother.
    [/quote]</P>

</P>

I have been watching football since the mid-60's. Not a big fan of ESPN. I can confidently say that the refs have been horrible this year. Just watch the games with a little objectivity. Giants got screwed big time in the firts Packers game and the Saints never get a holding call on their offensive line. I know they are good but come on. Maybe not fixed but surely incompetent and in the cae of New Orleans perhaps a little intimidated. . </P>

I think this is pretty silly. I definitely don't think they're fixing the games. The refs don't get to decide that much. When a team dominates another, there's very little the refs can do.

I think the refs have been horrible this year and have blown some huge calls and maybe changed the outcome of some games; sometimes perhaps in our favor (Ari) and sometimes against us (Ballard in GB), but I certainly don't think they're trying to fix games...they're humans, they screw up, now more than ever it seems.

You do realize tghat the Giants games have been some of the highest rated games on nbc sunday night football ..

People underestimate the size of fanbase we have , It may not be as large as ther Packers but its bigger than the Saints unless you count the soft fair weather fans

the NYG know how to crash a football party.....

The Giants to me have a following that is largely in the NY Area. Down here in Baltimore, they have a TON of fans who support them. Granted Baltimore is a transient town but the support for the G-Men here is overwhelmingly large.

+ Reply to Thread