+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How are we going to do it?

Veteran

How are we going to do it?

This offseason presents us with a team with more needs than I can recall the Giants having in quite some time. Pass rusher, corner, 3tech, free safety, Strongside linebacker. There's no future at any of those positions currently on the team.

Then offense. We need midround back and star at guard, a two way tight end and a #1 wr....

The dark ages could be coming if we don't hit a home run this draft and next.

The 1st round choice seems like a pass rusher or a wide receiver at this point in the prospect rankings. There are good corner and 3tech options in rounds 2-4 to go with. We can hold off on FS for this upcoming season since Rolle has another year in his contract and there is always the possibility of Stevie Brown and/or Cooper Taylor progressing but it is still a question mark at this time.

We can use free agency to address the needs at 'lower valued' positions such as G/C and SOLB. As for TE, I'd like to give someone like Ed ****son a shot if he comes at the right price and on a short contract.

Outside of a sudden Eli rejuvenation, we might have to deal with the QB position as well in the next 2-3 years. I know it isn't the popular opinion but I'd rather build a solid foundation that could support a young, inexperienced QB versus bringing in pieces that only fit what Eli brings to the table. We seriously have to consider moving on from the "build around Eli" model.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    The 1st round choice seems like a pass rusher or a wide receiver at this point in the prospect rankings. There are good corner and 3tech options in rounds 2-4 to go with. We can hold off on FS for this upcoming season since Rolle has another year in his contract and there is always the possibility of Stevie Brown and/or Cooper Taylor progressing but it is still a question mark at this time.

We can use free agency to address the needs at 'lower valued' positions such as G/C and SOLB. As for TE, I'd like to give someone like Ed ****son a shot if he comes at the right price and on a short contract.

Outside of a sudden Eli rejuvenation, we might have to deal with the QB position as well in the next 2-3 years. I know it isn't the popular opinion but I'd rather build a solid foundation that could support a young, inexperienced QB versus bringing in pieces that only fit what Eli brings to the table. We seriously have to consider moving on from the "build around Eli" model.
    That's probably the ideal situation. But it's not easy. Would be great if we were in position to get Mack

Quote Originally Posted by Imgrate View Post
    That's probably the ideal situation. But it's not easy. Would be great if we were in position to get Mack
    A lot falls on this potential contract extension for Eli. I'm not exactly a fan of giving him one not because of the cap reasons but I strongly believe no player should get an extension when they are playing at a very poor level like Eli is as of this moment. Since the future at QB is slightly up in the air, we just need to focus on DE/CB/WR and use FA wisely to pick up some help on the OL.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    A lot falls on this potential contract extension for Eli. I'm not exactly a fan of giving him one not because of the cap reasons but I strongly believe no player should get an extension when they are playing at a very poor level like Eli is as of this moment. Since the future at QB is slightly up in the air, we just need to focus on DE/CB/WR and use FA wisely to pick up some help on the OL.
    Agreed. We need to have star power at premium positions. With or without eli

Quote Originally Posted by Imgrate View Post
    This offseason presents us with a team with more needs than I can recall the Giants having in quite some time. Pass rusher, corner, 3tech, free safety, Strongside linebacker. There's no future at any of those positions currently on the team.

Then offense. We need midround back and star at guard, a two way tight end and a #1 wr....

The dark ages could be coming if we don't hit a home run this draft and next.
    I think that we can address some of the issues in FA. We need a decent X/Z receiver to start opposite Randle. I liked that idea in another thread about kicking the tires on Manningham and possibly getting him for cheap. If we had an OC that didnt have such a convoluted offense, even Manningham could grasp it.

Corner I think will be our big-time FA signing. If we got a top-shelf corner to start together with Prince, we could be set for a while in the secondary.

Some of the positions I think we can let be and things will improve on their own. DE in particular. I strongly believe we should shift JPP (who should be healthier with an offseason to recover) to left end, where he can play the run better and still have some presence as a pass rusher. Moore should shake off some of that rookie rust and start at right end. Give Tuck a 1-2 year cheap incentivized deal, and if he takes it, he can rotate in and provide veteran backup as necessary. Cut the cruft with Kiwi though. Jenkins can provide DE support as necessary, and with the other three I mentioned, could possibly reconstitute the 4 DE package.

I'm still hoping that Hankins can provide some level of replacement for Linval (who I think we let walk as he'll want too much). We have enough talent at DT that i'm not too worried about it.

Strong linebacker I believe is the biggest area of need. If we score Mack or Mosley, I will be a very happy man. Someone that can cover a TE successfully will actually also solve the pass rush issue. No more worries about quick releases.

Interior OL is the next area I want to hit. A combination of Alex Mack in FA, with two good OG in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, will net us a great benefit.

Another area where I think we need to draft is TE. Keep Myers for the time being as the receiving TE, but add a beefy inline blocker to that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckKnoxx View Post
    Whatever [Tom Quinn] says to keep a near decade long job has to be truly inspirational for him not to be working at IKEA right now.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    I think that we can address some of the issues in FA. We need a decent X/Z receiver to start opposite Randle. I liked that idea in another thread about kicking the tires on Manningham and possibly getting him for cheap. If we had an OC that didnt have such a convoluted offense, even Manningham could grasp it.

Corner I think will be our big-time FA signing. If we got a top-shelf corner to start together with Prince, we could be set for a while in the secondary.

Some of the positions I think we can let be and things will improve on their own. DE in particular. I strongly believe we should shift JPP (who should be healthier with an offseason to recover) to left end, where he can play the run better and still have some presence as a pass rusher. Moore should shake off some of that rookie rust and start at right end. Give Tuck a 1-2 year cheap incentivized deal, and if he takes it, he can rotate in and provide veteran backup as necessary. Cut the cruft with Kiwi though. Jenkins can provide DE support as necessary, and with the other three I mentioned, could possibly reconstitute the 4 DE package.

I'm still hoping that Hankins can provide some level of replacement for Linval (who I think we let walk as he'll want too much). We have enough talent at DT that i'm not too worried about it.

Strong linebacker I believe is the biggest area of need. If we score Mack or Mosley, I will be a very happy man. Someone that can cover a TE successfully will actually also solve the pass rush issue. No more worries about quick releases.

Interior OL is the next area I want to hit. A combination of Alex Mack in FA, with two good OG in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, will net us a great benefit.

Another area where I think we need to draft is TE. Keep Myers for the time being as the receiving TE, but add a beefy inline blocker to that as well.
    I agree that jpp should ideally be moved to the other side, but I don't know if he'll ever be a dominant player again.

My ideal draft fa scenario? Sign pettigrew or jimmy graham. Sign Sam shields. Sign Asamoah. Draft Khalil Mack, 2nd rd should match up with a guard selection, value wise. 3rd rd, get that physical wr that will slip, and trust me there's going to be a damn good wr available in the third rd Ala Keenan Allen. 4th rd is where we add another running back to the stable.

That leaves us still needing a 3tech and longterm free safety. That will have to be patch worked with cheap FAs. In virtually all scenarios, we are going to have a lot of holes next year.

Btw, the way Myers contract is written, he is either cut this year, or kept at an unreasonable contract for 3 more years. Myers is a goner

+ Reply to Thread