+ Reply to Thread

In time, I believe history will remember Reese, Coughlin, Spags and Fewell.....

As the guys who wrote the book on "how to stop prolific offenses in an era where the rules favor the offense."

With passing, receiving and scoring records dropping like flies this season it's easy to see that the game has become an offensive one. The Patriots, the Saints and the Packers are regarded as the three best teams in the league while all having suspect defenses. People are starting to say that the mantra of "defense wins championships" is becoming an antiquated one.

But as we know, nothing lasts forever in the NFL. When one team or teams comes up with a way to dominate another team comes up with a way to stop it. The 3-4, the zone blitz, the west-coast offense, the no huddle, the Tampa 2, etc. all of these things were born out of the necessity to stop a trend that was starting to take over in the NFL.

With the high passing yards, high points, air it out trend starting to take over teams are thirsty to find a way to stop it. With the current rules not allowing defenses to essentially beat the hell out of the offense the task has become much harder.

Nevertheless, it's starting to look like the Giants have started getting people to recognize there is a way to stop. That way, is to get pressure with your front four and exclusively your front four.

Now, this is certainly not to say that the Giants team this year is going all the way or anything else. They are playing great and the sky is the limit, but I am talking beyond this post-season. Frequently when coaches, teams, recruiters and players are pioneering a new approach or system to the game, they get little fan-fare. But years later history will remember those coaches, teams, players, recruiters will be recognized as having started the trend.

I believe every team is going to start trying to hoard DE's like the Giants have. You will see teams making bigger moves for DE and DT's in the off-season and in the draft all with the hope of being able to do "what the Giants do."

Again, this may not result in a slew of championships for us (there is after all offense and special teams that need to click to win it all). This is merely to say that people in this org currently (with the exception of Spags who has since moved on) may very well get the credit for finding the formula for stopping the huge play offenses of early 21st century.

Wow, that was a much longer post than I expected....hope it made sense, ha ha ha.
    I bELIeve in February 1, 2015.

Re: In time, I believe history will remember Reese, Coughlin, Spags and Fewell.....

Do not forget EA. He really had the template. Hats off to EA..
    Peace,
    DragonSoul

Twitter Account! https://twitter.com/DragonSoul

Re: In time, I believe history will remember Reese, Coughlin, Spags and Fewell.....

[quote user="Providence"]
    People are starting to say that the mantra of "defense wins championships" is becoming an antiquated one.

But as we know, nothing lasts forever in the NFL. [/quote]

You are right - that sentiment is already antiquated, as is the sentiment of needing to run the ball and have a balanced offense to win the title.

With the way the rules are now, you can be One-Dimensional on Offense, and still win it all.

It is already happening.

Veteran

[quote user="Tommy_Ribs"][quote user="Providence"]
    People are starting to say that the mantra of "defense wins championships" is becoming an antiquated one.

But as we know, nothing lasts forever in the NFL. [/quote]

You are right - that sentiment is already antiquated, as is the sentiment of needing to run the ball and have* a balanced offense to win the title.

With the way the rules are now, you can be One-Dimensional on Offense, and still win it all.

It is already happening.
    [/quote]

Don't know if that's definitely true yet.

Packers last year had a good defense. Saints the year before, well, not really.

Going back further:
    Steelers - great d
    Giants - classic great d over one dimensional team
    Colts- one dimensional
    Steelers - great d
    Pats - good d, balanced team
    Bucs - great d

Obviously this has been the year of the one dimensional offense, but to say 'it's already happening' seems a little hasty to me.

Veteran

[quote user="Providence"]As the guys who wrote the book on "how to stop prolific offenses in an era where the rules favor the offense." With passing, receiving and scoring records dropping like flies this season it's easy to see that the game has become an offensive one. The Patriots, the Saints and the Packers are regarded as the three best teams in the league while all having suspect defenses. People are starting to say that the mantra of "defense wins championships" is becoming an antiquated one. But as we know, nothing lasts forever in the NFL. When one team or teams comes up with a way to dominate another team comes up with a way to stop it. The 3-4, the zone blitz, the west-coast offense, the no huddle, the Tampa 2, etc. all of these things were born out of the necessity to stop a trend that was starting to take over in the NFL. With the high passing yards, high points, air it out trend starting to take over teams are thirsty to find a way to stop it. With the current rules not allowing defenses to essentially beat the hell out of the offense the task has become much harder. Nevertheless, it's starting to look like the Giants have started getting people to recognize there is a way to stop. That way, is to get pressure with your front four and exclusively your front four. Now, this is certainly not to say that the Giants team this year is going all the way or anything else. They are playing great and the sky is the limit, but I am talking beyond this post-season. Frequently when coaches, teams, recruiters and players are pioneering a new approach or system to the game, they get little fan-fare. But years later history will remember those coaches, teams, players, recruiters will be recognized as having started the trend. I believe every team is going to start trying to hoard DE's like the Giants have. You will see teams making bigger moves for DE and DT's in the off-season and in the draft all with the hope of being able to do "what the Giants do." Again, this may not result in a slew of championships for us (there is after all offense and special teams that need to click to win it all). This is merely to say that people in this org currently (with the exception of Spags who has since moved on) may very well get the credit for finding the formula for stopping the huge play offenses of early 21st century. Wow, that was a much longer post than I expected....hope it made sense, ha ha ha.[/quote]

Interesting, timely post.

Absolutely, if you can get consistent pressure with 4 guys, it makes everything else run.

Accorsi deserves credit too....he's the guy that signed Kiwi, claiming you "can't get enough pass rushers".

I've wondered what GMs are going to doon defense now that the NFL has entered the "Arena League Era.".......guys like JPP and Revis don't grow on trees.

I think LBs will continue to get faster in order to contend with TEs like Graham and Gronkowski....which would mean lighter....the prototype being almost a big safety.

Run stuffing DTs might become more marginalized, becoming situational players.

Veteran

[quote user="DragonSoul"]Do not forget EA. He really had the template. Hats off to EA..[/quote]

After he drafted Kiwi when we had a surplus of talent at DE he said " u can never have enough pass rushers". Reese is an Accorsi disciple

Veteran

[quote user="NY_Eli"][quote user="Tommy_Ribs"][quote user="Providence"]
    People are starting to say that the mantra of "defense wins championships" is becoming an antiquated one. But as we know, nothing lasts forever in the NFL. [/quote]

You are right - that sentiment is already antiquated, as is the sentiment of needing to run the ball and have a balanced offense to win the title.

It is already happening.
    [/quote] Don't know if that's definitely true yet. Packers last year had a good defense. Saints the year before, well, not really. Going back further: Steelers - great d Giants - classic great d over one dimensional team Colts- one dimensional Steelers - great d Pats - good d, balanced team Bucs - great d Obviously this has been the year of the one dimensional offense, but to say 'it's already happening' seems a little hasty to me.[/quote]

The biggest difference between the 2010 Saints and the 2011 Saints is they now have an effective running game with Sproles.

I'm glad that we're entering the upper-echelon teams of the NFC for the playoffs now, but stopping the Falcs is not the same as stopping the offenses of the Pack and Saints. Not saying we can't do it, just saying it's not the same.

What we did in '07 was historic. You're right overall -- getting to the QB in this era is the best D against these offenses. And we're built the best for it, even before you get into disguising the D and scheming.

[quote user="DragonSoul"]Do not forget EA. He really had the template. Hats off to EA..[/quote]

Indeed. What a huge omission on my part. EA started the ball rolling for sure.
    I bELIeve in February 1, 2015.