+ Reply to Thread

Interesting piece here that makes you wonder

Jim Schwartz's career in Detroit appears to be coming to a close after his team failed to make the playoffs.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday on NFL Network that the expectation from inside the building -- including from Schwartz -- is the coaching staff will be fired following the Lions' disappointing season.

Schwartz currently is 29-50 in five seasons after taking over the NFL's first 0-16 team. He has led his team to above an .500 finish just once.

And the coaches might not be the only ones looking for new jobs.

"I'm also told it's a strong possibility the entire front office could be cleared out there," Rapoport said on "NFL GameDay Morning." "(There was) some serious dysfunction with the Lions, including the front office bringing in players and coaches simply not using them. By the end of the year the two sides -- they weren't really talking to each other."

Owner William Clay Ford Sr. has been extremely loyal to his employees -- the most noteworthy being the contract extension given to former general manager Matt Millen despite abject failures.

NFL Media columnist Michael Silver said Bill Ford Jr. will make the decision on Schwartz and general manager Martin Mayhew.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...d-after-finale

Read the part I put in bold.

Do these situations really get to the point that coaches go out of their way to not play the new guys because they don't agree with the vision and direction of the front office? Now I have no idea or any evidence that would build a case to say this is happening on the Giants but the types of players we have drafted recently (last few years) doesn't seem to match up with the profile our older coaching staff would prefer.

Not sure you can compare what the Giants do to what Detroit did. The Giants usually never play rookies much if they have the opportunity to let them sit. If I recall, Pugh was not the starter either until Diehl got hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Plaxicofan7 View Post
    Not sure you can compare what the Giants do to what Detroit did. The Giants usually never play rookies much if they have the opportunity to let them sit. If I recall, Pugh was not the starter either until Diehl got hurt.
    Hey, welcome dude.

I think the fact that there is even mentions of such things going on in the NFL is a little shocking to me. It seems sort of petty but it does reestablish how important communication is between the coaching staff and front office when it comes to bringing new guys onto the team. We hear how the Giants do things the old school way, "coaches coach, front office does their part." but maybe there has been a disconnect recently with the type of players we have brought onto the team.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    Jim Schwartz's career in Detroit appears to be coming to a close after his team failed to make the playoffs.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday on NFL Network that the expectation from inside the building -- including from Schwartz -- is the coaching staff will be fired following the Lions' disappointing season.

Schwartz currently is 29-50 in five seasons after taking over the NFL's first 0-16 team. He has led his team to above an .500 finish just once.

And the coaches might not be the only ones looking for new jobs.

"I'm also told it's a strong possibility the entire front office could be cleared out there," Rapoport said on "NFL GameDay Morning." "(There was) some serious dysfunction with the Lions, including the front office bringing in players and coaches simply not using them. By the end of the year the two sides -- they weren't really talking to each other."

Owner William Clay Ford Sr. has been extremely loyal to his employees -- the most noteworthy being the contract extension given to former general manager Matt Millen despite abject failures.

NFL Media columnist Michael Silver said Bill Ford Jr. will make the decision on Schwartz and general manager Martin Mayhew.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...d-after-finale

Read the part I put in bold.

Do these situations really get to the point that coaches go out of their way to not play the new guys because they don't agree with the vision and direction of the front office? Now I have no idea or any evidence that would build a case to say this is happening on the Giants but the types of players we have drafted recently (last few years) doesn't seem to match up with the profile our older coaching staff would prefer.
    Have you ever seen Moneyball with Brad Pitt? I have a feeling it happens way more than anyone would ever know. Some GM's give their coaches no say. Some GM's hire a coach that wants to run a special type of system so he has say in what he needs to make it work.

Then you've got guys like Jerry Jones that had a great coach who helped him look like a great GM (Jimmy Johnson) and after Johnson left he thinks he is a great GM so he hires puppet coaches like Phillips and Garrett to go along with whatever Jerrah says.
    Live and Die with the Giants

"I felt good today."
    -Eli Manning