+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BB Mock 1.0

BB Mock 1.0

Season ended yesterday. Honestly, it could have been worse. 7-3 in last 10 with some solid building blocks. Resign Beason is priority #1, and Rolle, McBride, JJ, Pugh, Cruz, Connor, DTs, and ol' Tuck showed up...it could be worse. This team is closer than many think - of course, that is only if the real Eli Manning shows up, which I think he will. Anyway, let's get on with 1.0...

1. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan. I know, Beatty is signed and why move Pugh because he was really good at RT as a rook. But OL killed us this year and there is no G worth having here. Plus Beatty now has broken leg, and as of this writing the severity is still unknown. The coaches will figure out who goes where, but all I know is Lewan can block, and without blocking there is no chance. I'm not 100% on him...Robinson, Kouandjio, etc may be better, but the best OT is the pick here.

2. Aaron Donald, DT, Pitt. If this kid was 2" taller and 15 lbs heavier, he'd be a sure-fire top 15 pick (think Sheldon Richardson, who I mocked to us 1st in all my mocks last year). Just watch the tape. Players gonna make plays, and this kid lives in the backfield. He will pressure the QB in a rotational role as a rook, and grow. Very different guy than Big Hank, and needed with likely loss of pass rushers and Linval and Patterson as FAs (no way we keep both).

3. Christain Jones, ILB/OLB, FSU. We leave the trenches for a minute to pick up a stud SAM. Jones can rush the passer (FSU lines him up as a DE sometimes), plug the hole on the run, and play some under pass defense. Do I really think he'll be available here? No...it's not out of the realm of possibility in the mocks I've seen, but he will probably rise. But heck, it's early...

4. Brian Stork, C, FSU. Back to the trenches. I think I was the last guy on Earth who wanted to give Bass another chance, but even I'm over it. He should not be on the team next year, and Boothe is not an every down center. By mid season, our OL is Lewan-Boothe-Stork-Pugh-Beatty. More importantly, 4 of them are fairly young and can grow together.

5. L'damian Wasington, WR, Mizzou. This kid is fast (his 40 time will likely move him out of this range) and tall (6'3"). He can stretch the field, which is a strength that Eli couldnot exploit this year behind that OL, and he can go up and get it. He is raw, and honestly I doubt he will see much PT with TC, but he's an outside receiver to replace the likely departing Nicks...eventually.

6. James White, RB, Wisconsin. I don't know which RB the giants should draft in the 6th, but we need a back and I like late round value here. I'll look into it, but for now White is the placeholder. Suggestions welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by born blue View Post
    Season ended yesterday. Honestly, it could have been worse. 7-3 in last 10 with some solid building blocks. Resign Beason is priority #1, and Rolle, McBride, JJ, Pugh, Cruz, Connor, DTs, and ol' Tuck showed up...it could be worse. This team is closer than many think - of course, that is only if the real Eli Manning shows up, which I think he will. Anyway, let's get on with 1.0...

1. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan. I know, Beatty is signed and why move Pugh because he was really good at RT as a rook. But OL killed us this year and there is no G worth having here. Plus Beatty now has broken leg, and as of this writing the severity is still unknown. The coaches will figure out who goes where, but all I know is Lewan can block, and without blocking there is no chance. I'm not 100% on him...Robinson, Kouandjio, etc may be better, but the best OT is the pick here.

2. Aaron Donald, DT, Pitt. If this kid was 2" taller and 15 lbs heavier, he'd be a sure-fire top 15 pick (think Sheldon Richardson, who I mocked to us 1st in all my mocks last year). Just watch the tape. Players gonna make plays, and this kid lives in the backfield. He will pressure the QB in a rotational role as a rook, and grow. Very different guy than Big Hank, and needed with likely loss of pass rushers and Linval and Patterson as FAs (no way we keep both).

3. Christain Jones, ILB/OLB, FSU. We leave the trenches for a minute to pick up a stud SAM. Jones can rush the passer (FSU lines him up as a DE sometimes), plug the hole on the run, and play some under pass defense. Do I really think he'll be available here? No...it's not out of the realm of possibility in the mocks I've seen, but he will probably rise. But heck, it's early...

4. Brian Stork, C, FSU. Back to the trenches. I think I was the last guy on Earth who wanted to give Bass another chance, but even I'm over it. He should not be on the team next year, and Boothe is not an every down center. By mid season, our OL is Lewan-Boothe-Stork-Pugh-Beatty. More importantly, 4 of them are fairly young and can grow together.

5. L'damian Wasington, WR, Mizzou. This kid is fast (his 40 time will likely move him out of this range) and tall (6'3"). He can stretch the field, which is a strength that Eli couldnot exploit this year behind that OL, and he can go up and get it. He is raw, and honestly I doubt he will see much PT with TC, but he's an outside receiver to replace the likely departing Nicks...eventually.

6. James White, RB, Wisconsin. I don't know which RB the giants should draft in the 6th, but we need a back and I like late round value here. I'll look into it, but for now White is the placeholder. Suggestions welcome.
    I like the picks overall I think there is solid value in each round. I don't know about Lewan just because that would mean we would have to move Pugh inside and he has done such a good job at RT I would hate for him to have to learn a new position... I do like Donald in the 2nd a lot. If he is there then that would be a great pick IMO. Jones is interesting in the 3rd round. I mocked Denzel Perryman in that round who is kind of similar because he can play MLB and OLB. Both are solid LB's. Stork is a solid center and in the 4th I cannot complain with that pick at all. I have Washington in my mock in the 4th round. He is currently a 4-5 round projection but who knows after the combine he could be a 2-3 round projection. I really like his physical tools. White in the 6th would be interesting especially since everyone has been loving Melvin Gordon and White has been kind of flying under the radar. There are multiple RB's in the 5-6 range that I would be happy with the Giants picking and White is one of them. All around solid mock IMO!

S/O to Flip Empty for the sig

One month after I made this mock, and I'd still take it. I've soured a bit on Lewan because he seems like kind of a d1ck, and I'm an even bigger fan of Donald-as is everyone else...no way he's there in TE 2nd anymore. I'd love Robinson or Mack in Rd 1, and think thy could be there, but prevailing opinion is that they'll be gone, so that is what I'll assume. I still like the version 1.0 picks, but I'll throw out version 2.0:

1. Aaron Donald, DT, Pitt- Am I reaching? Maybe, but I beleive in this kid and we need a pass rush.
    2. Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU- Playmaker who is NFL ready
    3. Joel Bitonio, OT/OG, Nevada- Verasile lineman who cn start at G day one
    4. Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss- Good routes, good size, good hands
    5. Tyler Larsen, C, Utah St.- Accomplished polished center against lower completion
    6. Isiah Crowell, RB, Ala St.- Would be one of the top backs without character issues...also like Josey, White, Taliaferro here
    7. Dri Archer, RB/WR/KR, Kent St.- Playmaker. I know we ae no 7th, bu likely will get a comp pick

+ Reply to Thread