+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    All-Pro

Nicks catch, what appeared to be a first down before the half !!

This puzzled me and was a huge play in the game. He caught the ball which with forward progress looked to be a yard or more past the sticks. Now I know it was under 2 mins and the challenges are from the booth only. My question is couldn't TC call for measurement? This would obviously see if 1st down was made which judging by the bad spot but the linesmen who I mentioned in another post looked like it was short. At least calling for measurement gives us a chance to think of the next play and serve as kind of a timeout. To me judging by the very next play Eli came back and threw the ball as if he thought we had the 1st down. I would be very surprised that 3rd and inches we would have called that play ?? any thoughts.

To me it looked like a game management mistake on that play. Very confusing.

Re: Nicks catch, what appeared to be a first down before the half !!

Surprised that the replay booth didn't stop play to look at that.

All-Pro

[quote user="FLNYGFAN"]Surprised that the replay booth didn't stop play to look at that.[/quote] Im not. Im really not. We have been playing against the refs the past 3 weeks now.

Eli said that he got fooled on that play. He thought it was a first down. I believe it's Eli's call to call for a measurement.

That one's on the refs.

With the clock rollin, there's nothing TC can do, unless he's got a time-out left ( I can't recall if we had any or not ).

If that play goes to the sidelines and out of bounds to stop the clock, we probably get a measurement there.

Seemed as though the refs were rushing that one. Guess they wanted to get intohalf-time asap.

my beer drinking team has a football problem

Eli was in hurry up mode and thought it was a first down and never noticed it was called 3rd down. He said this in his presser. Apparently Gilbride didn't notice either because the play he sent in was for 1st and 10 and not 3rd and 1.

All-Pro

I think TC could have asked for it ??

First off it should have been first down by far even Flacons fans would admit that.
    secondly because the refs screwed us with spot it was still 3rd and short only and a make able first down.
    We rushed or mis understood and tried throwing a low percentage pass that looked rushed and unorganized.

A simple call for measurement could have really helped us out especially in a close game at the time and near fg range.

All-Pro

[quote user="JimC"]Eli said that he got fooled on that play.* He thought it was a first down.* I believe it's Eli's call to call for a measurement.
    [/quote]

ok, that's exactly how he acted, like he thought it was a 1st, which it was and that makes sense

if it's ruled just short there is always a measurement ... unless the set of downs started right at the 20 on a touchback ... now coulda Tom or KG gotten in his headset and told him to ask for measurement ... probably, but just an all round confusing play that the refs got all wrong, IMO, esp. b/c it was under 2 minutes

[quote user="poppa smurph"]

That one's on the refs.

With the clock rollin, there's nothing TC can do, unless he's got a time-out left ( I can't recall if we had any or not ).

If that play goes to the sidelines and out of bounds to stop the clock, we probably get a measurement there.

Seemed as though the refs were rushing that one. Guess they wanted to get intohalf-time asap.

[/quote]Yes, we had 2 timeouts remaing during that debacle. The refs looked like the 3 stooges on that, and appeared to be hurrying the next play. I was going bonkers screaming at 1. How did they just spot it over a yard short and 2. How the hell did TC not use a timeout at a crucial time with halftime looming.
    "KILL'EM ALL AND LET THE PARAMEDICS SORT'EM OUT!"

Here are the mistakes in order on that play:

-The Ref: gives a terrible spot

-The Booth: didn't review the terrible spot

-Coughlin: Didn't demand a measurement/call time out to interupt Eli's no huddle so that he could demand a measurement.

-Eli: Thought it was a 1st down and played it accordingly. Obviously it should have been a first down, but he's got to know what down it is regardless of what "should have happened."

With Coughlin and Eli's misteps Big Blue deserves some of the blame. However it should have NEVER gotten to that point. The ref gave a terrible spot and the booth didn't challenege it. Both occurences are totally unacceptable.
    I bELIeve in February 1, 2015.