+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Veteran NYGfanSTRICK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Former NY'er now living in the Midwest
    Posts
    4,546

    Strick's Offseason Mock 1.0

    This is my first mock since college football has been all wrapped up. My personal opinion on our main needs in order if Nicks leaves (OG/C, OLB, WR, CB) After that TE, RB, DE, DT in no particular order. We are picking at 12 and wouldn't be against trading back a few slots and adding an extra pick or two but I will mock us at 12

    1st round- C.J Mosley OLB Alabama- He is a beast and would be a really nice guy to have alongside Beason. Would be able to start from day 1

    STRENGTHS: Mosley does a nice job using his length and lower body fluidity to keep himself clean through a crowd and finishes at the ball, wrapping and driving through his target. He is very smart and keeps his eyes on the ball to track and attack and rarely makes mental mistakes, which is a result of his high football IQ and preparation skills.

    WEAKNESSES: Isn't always fundamentally consistent as a tackler, at times opting to throw himself at his target or drop his head on contact. Missed time in 2011 with a dislocated elbow.

    COMPARES TO: Lavonte David, LB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Like David, Mosley's combination of toughness, elite instincts and superb athleticism offer the versatility of lining up inside or out, and have enabled him to be one of the nation's top all-around linebackers.
    --Ron Rang
    __________________________________________

    2nd round- Xavier Su'a Filo OG UCLA- He is a big strong guy who would be an instant upgrade at the position

    Strengths: Powerfully-built. Very good initial quickness, hand placement and impressive upper body strength to gain the initial advantage on defenders. Due to his core strength and flexibility, Su'a-Filo anchors very well against bull-rushes and shows lateral agility and balance in pass pro. Perfect match in UCLA's drive-blocking scheme, but has the athleticism to fit in a zone-blocking scheme as well.

    Weaknesses: Has a tendency to lose leverage on contact.
    --Rob Rang
    ____________________________________________

    3rd round- E.J Gaines CB Missouri- He is not talked about that much but I am a big fan of him. He has shot up my rankings a lot lately especially after holding Mike Evans to only 4 catches for 8 yards!

    STRENGTHS: Gaines sports a well-defined build for the position. The combination of his broad-shouldered, long-armed frame and very good overall athleticism makes him a tough draw for any pass-catcher. Has alternately lined up in press or off-man on most snaps, showing the fluid hips to turn and run with receivers, as well as very good lateral agility and balance and speed to burn. He anticipates routes well, under-cutting receivers to remain between them and the quarterback and has quick, active hands. Gaines is a reliable open-field tackler. Gaines' ability to avoid blockers and wrap securely make him a frequent blitz threat off the edge.

    WEAKNESSES: Gaines is a classic grab and drag tackler, only occasionally dropping his shoulder to provide an impactful hit. Scouts would like to see him turn more of his many career passes broken up into interceptions. More of a hitter than a tackler at times, and needs to avoid dropping his head on contact.
    --ROB RANG
    _______________________________________________

    4th round- Terrance West RB Towson- He was very impressive in the game that I watched vs Eastern Illinios he had 39 carries for 354 yards and 5 TD's! He is 5'11 223 lbs so good size for a RB and he is quicker than most would expect for someone his size. He can break the long run and has done it many times. He set an FCS rushing record by rushing for 2,509 yards and scored 42 total touchdowns
    _______________________________________________
    5th round- L'damian Washington WR Missouri- I have mocked him quite a few times. He is a 6'3 or 6'4 and runs a 4.3. He would have many more catches if he was not in the same offense as Dorial Green-Beckum
    ________________________________________________
    6th round- Colt Lyerla TE Oregon- He is listed as 7-FA player right now on CBSsports but if he can keep his act together this could be as big of a steal as there could be in this draft. He has tons of talent for a TE. He is extremely athletic but has off the field issues. I would take a risk on the guy in the 6th and would even be tempted in the 5th.

    S/O to Flip Empty for the sig

  2. #2
    Like all around. I think if we can get Washington he'd be able to plug in decently, and it wouldn't blow our first rounder which we NEED for a linebacker.

    Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

  3. #3
    I like it but NO chance we'd take mosley in round 1. The front office made it clear "the offense is broken" we will be going offense heavy early on (unless clowney or barr falls)

  4. #4
    All-Pro nycsportzfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    Posts
    32,016
    Quote Originally Posted by NYGfanSTRICK View Post
    This is my first mock since college football has been all wrapped up. My personal opinion on our main needs in order if Nicks leaves (OG/C, OLB, WR, CB) After that TE, RB, DE, DT in no particular order. We are picking at 12 and wouldn't be against trading back a few slots and adding an extra pick or two but I will mock us at 12

    1st round- C.J Mosley OLB Alabama- He is a beast and would be a really nice guy to have alongside Beason. Would be able to start from day 1

    STRENGTHS: Mosley does a nice job using his length and lower body fluidity to keep himself clean through a crowd and finishes at the ball, wrapping and driving through his target. He is very smart and keeps his eyes on the ball to track and attack and rarely makes mental mistakes, which is a result of his high football IQ and preparation skills.

    WEAKNESSES: Isn't always fundamentally consistent as a tackler, at times opting to throw himself at his target or drop his head on contact. Missed time in 2011 with a dislocated elbow.

    COMPARES TO: Lavonte David, LB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Like David, Mosley's combination of toughness, elite instincts and superb athleticism offer the versatility of lining up inside or out, and have enabled him to be one of the nation's top all-around linebackers.
    --Ron Rang
    __________________________________________

    2nd round- Xavier Su'a Filo OG UCLA- He is a big strong guy who would be an instant upgrade at the position

    Strengths: Powerfully-built. Very good initial quickness, hand placement and impressive upper body strength to gain the initial advantage on defenders. Due to his core strength and flexibility, Su'a-Filo anchors very well against bull-rushes and shows lateral agility and balance in pass pro. Perfect match in UCLA's drive-blocking scheme, but has the athleticism to fit in a zone-blocking scheme as well.

    Weaknesses: Has a tendency to lose leverage on contact.
    --Rob Rang
    ____________________________________________

    3rd round- E.J Gaines CB Missouri- He is not talked about that much but I am a big fan of him. He has shot up my rankings a lot lately especially after holding Mike Evans to only 4 catches for 8 yards!

    STRENGTHS: Gaines sports a well-defined build for the position. The combination of his broad-shouldered, long-armed frame and very good overall athleticism makes him a tough draw for any pass-catcher. Has alternately lined up in press or off-man on most snaps, showing the fluid hips to turn and run with receivers, as well as very good lateral agility and balance and speed to burn. He anticipates routes well, under-cutting receivers to remain between them and the quarterback and has quick, active hands. Gaines is a reliable open-field tackler. Gaines' ability to avoid blockers and wrap securely make him a frequent blitz threat off the edge.

    WEAKNESSES: Gaines is a classic grab and drag tackler, only occasionally dropping his shoulder to provide an impactful hit. Scouts would like to see him turn more of his many career passes broken up into interceptions. More of a hitter than a tackler at times, and needs to avoid dropping his head on contact.
    --ROB RANG
    _______________________________________________

    4th round- Terrance West RB Towson- He was very impressive in the game that I watched vs Eastern Illinios he had 39 carries for 354 yards and 5 TD's! He is 5'11 223 lbs so good size for a RB and he is quicker than most would expect for someone his size. He can break the long run and has done it many times. He set an FCS rushing record by rushing for 2,509 yards and scored 42 total touchdowns
    _______________________________________________
    5th round- L'damian Washington WR Missouri- I have mocked him quite a few times. He is a 6'3 or 6'4 and runs a 4.3. He would have many more catches if he was not in the same offense as Dorial Green-Beckum
    ________________________________________________
    6th round- Colt Lyerla TE Oregon- He is listed as 7-FA player right now on CBSsports but if he can keep his act together this could be as big of a steal as there could be in this draft. He has tons of talent for a TE. He is extremely athletic but has off the field issues. I would take a risk on the guy in the 6th and would even be tempted in the 5th.
    I woulden't complain if this happened. It has alot of focus on needs, which is hard to argue against..

  5. #5
    Veteran NYGfanSTRICK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Former NY'er now living in the Midwest
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    I woulden't complain if this happened. It has alot of focus on needs, which is hard to argue against..
    Yeah I tried to get the best players and the biggest needs pretty much. Gaines is really growing on me since shutting Evans down big time. I was shocked

    S/O to Flip Empty for the sig

  6. #6
    Starter born blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by NYGfanSTRICK View Post

    3rd round- E.J Gaines CB Missouri- He is not talked about that much but I am a big fan of him. He has shot up my rankings a lot lately especially after holding Mike Evans to only 4 catches for 8 yards!
    I am interested to see where Gaines ends up going because he is a really good cover corner who doesn't have that many impressive stats (passes defended, INTs, etc). I love him in the third...somewhere I read someone thought he could be late 1st/early 2nd -- sorry no link, can't remember

  7. #7
    Veteran NYGfanSTRICK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Former NY'er now living in the Midwest
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by born blue View Post
    I am interested to see where Gaines ends up going because he is a really good cover corner who doesn't have that many impressive stats (passes defended, INTs, etc). I love him in the third...somewhere I read someone thought he could be late 1st/early 2nd -- sorry no link, can't remember
    It is tough to tell. We should get a better feel for where he will land once the combine and Senior Bowl are done but he is a player I like a lot. He didn't have a lot of picks but he can cover very well.

    Here is the only game film that I could find of him. I watched him a few other times and was impressed with him. I might just go watch Michael Sam/Kony Ealy game tapes so I can watch some more of him.


    S/O to Flip Empty for the sig

  8. #8
    Veteran NYGfanSTRICK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Former NY'er now living in the Midwest
    Posts
    4,546
    This video is of Kony Ealy and Michael Sam but you can see E.J Gaines in coverage almost exclusively on Jordan Matthews and he got shutdown. Granted the two DE's were absolutely killing Vandy's OL but still that is another top WR he kept in check. In the 1st and 3rd quarters he is on the top of the screen in coverage and 2nd and 4th he is on the bottom of the screen in coverage


    S/O to Flip Empty for the sig

  9. #9
    Starter born blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by NYGfanSTRICK View Post
    It is tough to tell. We should get a better feel for where he will land once the combine and Senior Bowl are done but he is a player I like a lot. He didn't have a lot of picks but he can cover very well.
    Yeah, I don't mind the lack of picks...I'd much rather have a shut down guy you can leave on an island than someone who was able to grab a few deflections. Depending how he tests and interviews, and how how draft for needs is shaping up, I wouldn't ge disappointed with him in the 2nd

  10. #10
    Veteran NYGfanSTRICK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Former NY'er now living in the Midwest
    Posts
    4,546
    Yeah I have been watching quite a bit of tape on him today and I have become a big fan. Those two videos I posted were pretty impressive vs two WR's who are going to be picked in the first 3 rounds Jordan Matthews and Donte Moncrief. He wasn't matched up exclusively on Moncrief like he was on Matthews but when they were matched up he did well. The only negative that they have on CBS sports is that he doesn't deliver a big hit. I will take a CB who can cover very well and can make tackles that aren't bone crushing hits over a guy who is a bit shaky in coverage but can lay people out

    S/O to Flip Empty for the sig

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts