+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Giant Bummer: Offensive Line Help Limited In 2014 NFL Draft

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...nfl_draft.html

Excerpt: "There's never a good time to have trouble protecting your quarterback. But if that is an NFL team's No. 1 need, this is an especially bad year to need help in that facet of the game.

The Giants need offensive line help in a down year for offensive linemen. The 2014 NFL Draft isnít overflowing with quality offensive line prospects like there have been in the past.

One NFL general manager estimated at the Senior Bowl on Monday that he could see "as many as" six offensive linemen selected in the first round. In all likelihood, there will be even less in that decision-maker's mind.

This after six were selected in the Top 11 last year. A grand total of nine went in the first round in 2013, including offensive tackle Justin Pugh to the Giants at No. 19. Pugh probably was their best offensive linemen last season.

The Giants select 12th in this May's draft. It's their highest draft pick since they ended up with quarterback Eli Manning in 2004.

Itís not just the first round that is believed to be lacking the same quality as in the past. The mid-to-late rounds aren't expected to have the same quality as in the past." Read more...
    ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

# 80

Not that I would personally know, but I've heard others say otherwise and that there are solid prospects in the later rounds.
    Do not feed the trolls.

Not sure I agree. There is talent to upgrade. Pro Bowl caliber may be down but that may be due to the extraordinary talent drafted over the last few years.

Really irrelevant because of the glaring need unless we fill the holes in FA

I love it. Last year was supposed to be a great OT year.... Fisher? Joekel? Fluker? How those guys fair?

I feel there are some really good OL in this draft, but we never know until they pad up in the pros.
    ZERO quality wins the last 2 seasons. Major changes are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Not that I would personally know, but I've heard others say otherwise and that there are solid prospects in the later rounds.
    I'm with you. I thought it was said that this years draft was going to have plenty of solid prospects on the O-line.

Veteran
    This is great for the Giants. Get Oline talent in later rounds and now they can get a WR with their 1st round pick. I would not be against even trading up if they could get Watkins, as long as it wasn't too costly. Either way, Watkins, Benjamin, or Evans the Giants absolutely need a true #1 WR.

Quote Originally Posted by BBlue4ever View Post
    This is great for the Giants. Get Oline talent in later rounds and now they can get a WR with their 1st round pick. I would not be against even trading up if they could get Watkins, as long as it wasn't too costly. Either way, Watkins, Benjamin, or Evans the Giants absolutely need a true #1 WR.
    Need a true outside linebacker more...

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

Veteran
    I disagree.. OL is deep this year

To be honest, in that draft simulator on the web (at fanspeak.com or something), I noticed a lot of the other automated GMs were reaching heavily (sometimes 50-60 picks down the list compared to draft position) for OL. There may be some credence to this article...

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    Need a true outside linebacker more...
    You think? I disagree. JJ hasn't shown us anything yet but a couple of decent games in garbage time of a lost season. Randle seems to have communication problems with Eli. Cruz cannot maximize his game and to use a Richard Sherman word, is "mediocre" at best when he gets doubled. And none of these guys profile as a true #1 WR anyway. I think the team's biggest need on offense, along with the oline, is getting a #1 WR. If the draft has some good Oline talent to be had in later rounds why not try as hard as you can to get a sick WR with your 1st round pick?

A true OLB? Yes they need help with the LBs but the team traditionally focuses on the Dline more anyway, if they are going to address defensive needs get a beast pass rusher on the edge if anything