+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone who thinks eli will not flourish in in a west coast offense....

Quote Originally Posted by Die-Hard View Post
    Obviously that QB is not yet on the roster, which has been my point all along. There has never been a threat behind him, and he has never had any real competition for his job, despite the many mistakes and poor play over the years. I, for one, would like to see how he reacts to having such a thing in place, and whether it would force him to play much smarter and take better care of the football.

I wasn't being serious with the ban threat. Just a joke.
    I honestly think some of you guys way overrate the idea that having a back up that could be a threat helps elevate QB play. That may work at other positions to varying degrees, but I struggle to think of many if any times that it's really helped a QB play better.

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    While I think Die-Hard was a little over the top, your response seems to suggest that no QB current or future could equal Eli. Peyton Manning was pushed out for Luck, Montana pushed out for Young, Simms for Hostetler.... at some point every QB is pushed out for the next, hopefully great, QB.... just like every other position in any sport. That isn't to say that the replacement for Eli is on the roster, but a good team is always looking to improve, at every position. I wouldn't say it is a priority, but if someone that is better than Eli landed in their laps, then I would be all for letting him play.
    You don't get a chance to draft a guy like Luck too often. If Peyton wasn't out all of the year the Colts wouldn't have been in a position to draft him. I would think if you have a very good QB you won't be able to draft the top guys. At this point how many starters would be able to push Eli maybe 8 to 10?
    Engage brain before speaking.

I realize that it is a criminal act to reference those SB wins, but no boss/owner/GM anywhere in the world would ever, for 1 second look only at the negative side of things.

We have a term for it in my office: It's called having an upside.

And no responsible boss/owner/GM was going to spend large amounts of capital trying to find out if there is a way to improve upon a a success rate that is rarely achieved (despite the fact that we would all like them in the playoffs more) by focusing that capital on a player you hope never sees the field.

Some us may have wanted to see it, but it was not a sound call to make. And if you want to argue it would have been, just imagine hearing the tapping of a SB ring on a table while you are typing, or imagine who you couldn't have afforded or signed in 2011 if you spent that money elsewhere on a guy you hoped rode the pine.

But things with the cap have changed, and rookies no longer bleed a team dry. It is much more economically feasible to get in a young player to push a vet. Even one with 2 SB MVP's.

The responsibility has almost flipped: it would be wrong to not work in a young guy to push Eli.
    Add in the cap realities for Eli, and it may actually be irresponsible not to. Ask the other Manning about that.

I am thankful that we have Eli, all Giants fan's should be.
    I am going to be even more happy if we have a Luck or Rodgers waiting in the wings. No Giants fan should have a problem with that.

I don't know if it's time; I know none of you do either. The reality is that the FO has to look hard at it and make plans.

Feels like a very "Lion King" kind of post
    This space for rent

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    I honestly think some of you guys way overrate the idea that having a back up that could be a threat helps elevate QB play. That may work at other positions to varying degrees, but I struggle to think of many if any times that it's really helped a QB play better.

I simply said that I'd like to see how Eli would react to that kind of situation.

If your employer hired someone else in your department, and for the same job that you currently hold, and told both of you that one of you would lose your position in 6 months, would that motivate you to work harder? A very different scenario, of course, and I'm not comparing such a job to that of an NFL QB in any way, shape, or form, but for arguments' sake, I think the situations could still mirror each other on a very basic level.

Whether or not it has ever worked with other teams/QB's cant really be proven one way or another, since none of us have been part of an NFL team, and we aren't the least bit qualified to make that judgement with any degree of accuracy.

Delicreep my cousin tried to tell his boss he was sales leader in 2012 and 2009. Didnt work out so well in the car business.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails."
    - William Arthur Ward -

Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    Delicreep my cousin tried to tell his boss he was sales leader in 2012 and 2009. Didnt work out so well in the car business.
    I have no idea what you are trying to say.
    This space for rent

Quote Originally Posted by Delicreep View Post
    I have no idea what you are trying to say.
    exactly
    - William Arthur Ward -

exactly
    Any chance you could clarify it?
    This space for rent

Quote Originally Posted by Delicreep View Post
    Any chance you could clarify it?
    i guess the point is , a business will only look at the past for so long before you need to produce something. had he come 2nd or 3rd in sales over the last few years he would have kept his job ,but his boss's weren't going to give him some lifetime pass because of his past achievements.

So as fans and as an Org. you are pleased with the SB wins but by the same token you miss the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years you need to produce something, doesnt have to be more sb wins but be competitive.
    - William Arthur Ward -

i guess the point is , a business will only look at the past for so long before you need to produce something. had he come 2nd or 3rd in sales over the last few years he would have kept his job ,but his boss's weren't going to give him some lifetime pass because of his past achievements.

So as fans and as an Org. you are pleased with the SB wins but by the same token you miss the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years you need to produce something, doesnt have to be more sb wins but be competitive.
    Sorry he lost his job...tough economy.

Really...you are more or less agreeing with me. There is no real unavoidable financial pain for bringing new guys and letting your cousin go. Same is true for Eli now...bring 'em in and take a chance. I said that very clearly.

That was not true with Eli 3 years ago, and when sales where great, probably wasn't true for your cousin either.

I have yet to see anyone say Eli has a "lifetime pass". Factoring an upside is not the same as lifetime pass.
    This space for rent

+ Reply to Thread