+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone who thinks eli will not flourish in in a west coast offense....

ESPN Around The Horn Eli

http://youtu.be/qBWoYbTHwpo?t=12m51s

Opinions I see in this thread, I heard in this debate.

One of the things that blows my mind is that if you asked fans of every team, "if you could have same season as any other team in the league over the last 10 years", I would think the answer would be the Giants more often than not.
    This space for rent

Quote Originally Posted by Delicreep View Post
    Sorry he lost his job...tough economy.

Really...you are more or less agreeing with me. There is no real unavoidable financial pain for bringing new guys and letting your cousin go. Same is true for Eli now...bring 'em in and take a chance. I said that very clearly.

That was not true with Eli 3 years ago, and when sales where great, probably wasn't true for your cousin either.

I have yet to see anyone say Eli has a "lifetime pass". Factoring an upside is not the same as lifetime pass.
    i was talking about coughlin, lol

Coughlin using his Tablet

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by speedman View Post
    You don't get a chance to draft a guy like Luck too often. If Peyton wasn't out all of the year the Colts wouldn't have been in a position to draft him. I would think if you have a very good QB you won't be able to draft the top guys. At this point how many starters would be able to push Eli maybe 8 to 10?
    I agree, you don't get a chance to draft Luck very often, but that doesn't address Young pushing out Montana or Hostetler pushing out Simms. I am pretty sure no one thought those guys would push their predecessor, and have success as a starter. I remember quite clearly believing that Montana would forever remain the greatest QB that ever lived. Now I watch Brady, Peyton and Brees and realize, I may have been wrong.

How many starters that could push Eli is irrelevant, they aren't going to go out and sign any of them.

I am not suggesting they should go out and try to find that next guy, just yet, I am questioning your notion that it isn't possible. At some point in every athletes career, they start to decline. Some would suggest that has already started with Eli, I don't agree with that, but when it does happen they need to have a plan in place or face some pretty rough seasons scrambling after the fact.

I understand your appreciation for Eli, but trust me, there will be other QBs that play for the Giants, and it is very likely they will eventually find one just as good or better. When that day comes, you will hear people talking about how this new guy is irreplaceable, and you will remember that you once thought the same thing about Eli, reveling in the knowledge that they too will one day learn that no one is irreplaceable.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Quote Originally Posted by NYGhtmare View Post
    ESPN Around The Horn Eli

Awesome clip. Best quote: "They say the WRs aren't fighting hard enough for the ball, well he sure is throwing balls into a whole lot of fights!"
    In the tough times we find out who we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    i was talking about coughlin, lol
    I don't believe TC has a lifetime pass...but he has to move on in the right way and for the right guy.

I have suggested that the search for TC's replacement has started, and will be done throughout this season. The Giants will have a plan in place when they pull that trigger (or TC does)
    This space for rent

Bench Player
    Quote Originally Posted by NYGhtmare View Post
    ESPN Around The Horn Eli

They all made some valid points. He's been an interception machine his whole career. Thank you for being PART of those 2 SBs Eli, but if he has another year like last year and the year before, they will be looking for a new QB. Mara is not stupid and knows it will be time to move on from him. What have the Giants done in between those 2 SBs?? Nada! He doesn't have anyone behind him fighting for a job but next year will be another story if he doesn't perform like a "Franchise" QB. There should be no more excuses or free passes for him anymore, especially when he is eating up so much money! He's an average inconsistent QB. I hope the team does not extend his contract. Hopefully he will adjust to this new offense we will be running but when you're older and set in your ways, it's hard to change. Good luck next year.

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I agree, you don't get a chance to draft Luck very often, but that doesn't address Young pushing out Montana or Hostetler pushing out Simms. I am pretty sure no one thought those guys would push their predecessor, and have success as a starter. I remember quite clearly believing that Montana would forever remain the greatest QB that ever lived. Now I watch Brady, Peyton and Brees and realize, I may have been wrong.

How many starters that could push Eli is irrelevant, they aren't going to go out and sign any of them.

I am not suggesting they should go out and try to find that next guy, just yet, I am questioning your notion that it isn't possible. At some point in every athletes career, they start to decline. Some would suggest that has already started with Eli, I don't agree with that, but when it does happen they need to have a plan in place or face some pretty rough seasons scrambling after the fact.

I understand your appreciation for Eli, but trust me, there will be other QBs that play for the Giants, and it is very likely they will eventually find one just as good or better. When that day comes, you will hear people talking about how this new guy is irreplaceable, and you will remember that you once thought the same thing about Eli, reveling in the knowledge that they too will one day learn that no one is irreplaceable.
    Very well said. I dont understand the implied "irreplacable" tag that often gets placed on Eli, as if he is on the same level as his brother or one of the other all-time great QB's in history. He isn't, he never has been, and he never will be. I've never suggested that it would be a piece of proverbial cake to replace him, but it will be far from impossible to do so, and they could very likely end up with someone far better, or at least someone far more consistent. One more bad season will almost certainly begin the search, and they could very well begin the search in the coming draft if something unexpectedly falls into their lap. I dont think Nassib is the answer, so I was baffled by the pick, and still am.

Quote Originally Posted by Die-Hard View Post
    Very well said. I dont understand the implied "irreplacable" tag that often gets placed on Eli, as if he is on the same level as his brother or one of the other all-time great QB's in history. He isn't, he never has been, and he never will be. I've never suggested that it would be a piece of proverbial cake to replace him, but it will be far from impossible to do so, and they could very likely end up with someone far better, or at least someone far more consistent. One more bad season will almost certainly begin the search, and they could very well begin the search in the coming draft if something unexpectedly falls into their lap. I dont think Nassib is the answer, so I was baffled by the pick, and still am.
    This is dead on, too many people on this board think this is an attack on Eli when in fact it's the absolute truth

Quote Originally Posted by King Sully View Post
    This is dead on, too many people on this board think this is an attack on Eli when in fact it's the absolute truth
    they cant handle the truth!!!!

Coughlin using his Tablet

+ Reply to Thread