+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by nygfanmaybe View Post
    That's the point...
    Actually, isn't that the opposite of your point?
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Actually, isn't that the opposite of your point?
    My point is that JR had to pay Eli a lot of money because he brought them a ring and was MVP to boot. That affected his salary, and they couldn't pay to keep some of the other guys and the whole team was affected.

JR sees SF and Seattle winning with lesser salaried QB's and possibly picked up Nassib with that in mind for the future. That was the point I was trying to make in my edit.

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    I faith that Eli will bounce back.
    if he doesn't then his career is done....
    pretty simple
    This is pretty much it....if the o-line is fixed and there is no more Gilbride to blame and he plays like he did last year, there are no more excuses. He got a free pass this year.

All-Pro
    My point is that JR had to pay Eli a lot of money because he brought them a ring and was MVP to boot. That affected his salary, and they couldn't pay to keep some of the other guys and the whole team was affected.

JR sees SF and Seattle winning with lesser salaried QB's and possibly picked up Nassib with that in mind for the future. That was the point I was trying to make in my edit.
    So, it seems we have come full circle. Originally I said that Eli isn't paid SOLELY based on past SB victories, but also based on what they believe he can do in the future. You took exception to the "what he can do in the future" part... but I see now that we are in agreement, the team does, and must, look at what he can do now and in upcoming seasons and make decisions based on those assessments.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

But that wasn't your original point..

MUCH better.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    This doesn't make any sense.
    What doesn't make sense about it?? His response was that Eli has been faltering for years and never has to look over his shoulder. This year he was terrible but its one bad year. Hes won us 2 rings in the last 6 years how many qb's in that timeframe can say that? None. If he's half as bad next year then ill get on him also, but lets see what he does first. It's funny how peoples short-term memory is around here. Hes a 2 time super bowl MVP for our team lets give this guy the benefit of the doubt.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    So, it seems we have come full circle. Originally I said that Eli isn't paid SOLELY based on past SB victories, but also based on what they believe he can do in the future. You took exception to the "what he can do in the future" part... but I see now that we are in agreement, the team does, and must, look at what he can do now and in upcoming seasons and make decisions based on those assessments.
    When did I say that they don't consider their future. The problem is that they can't say....let's say for an example...Eli just won a SB, and according to you they could have said, "Well, we don't think you are going to be able to duplicate that, so we are going to lessen your salary." It has never happened.

I suggested that they do look at the future and make a plan, they just don't use the future to negotiate a guys contract.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatNiCcA56 View Post
    What doesn't make sense about it?? His response was that Eli has been faltering for years and never has to look over his shoulder. This year he was terrible but its one bad year. Hes won us 2 rings in the last 6 years how many qb's in that timeframe can say that? None. If he's half as bad next year then ill get on him also, but lets see what he does first. It's funny how peoples short-term memory is around here. Hes a 2 time super bowl MVP for our team lets give this guy the benefit of the doubt.
    I'm not suggesting Eli sucks and will never recover. Quite the opposite. Everyone who has said Eli is regressing should be laughed upon.
    What I am not understanding is you should pay a QB for past performance AND future performance.

MUCH better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    But that wasn't your original point..
    I never had an original point, I just questioned a couple of guys comments and called BS.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
    people need to remember that evenTrent Dilfer won a Super Bowl behind a decent offensive line, thats why it sounds so silly when people say that Eli won a SB, Eli was on a team that won a SB is more accurate..
    Do us a favor and don't compare Eli to Dilfer. That should be a smack to all giant fans. First off Eli has helped us win 2 super bowls and has had 2 game winning drives. Dilfer was a qb on a team that had arguably the greatest D in history. Bad comparison!