+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone who thinks eli will not flourish in in a west coast offense....

I just want to say hats off to all the participants in this thread for a very enjoyable read and proving that it is possible to have Eli thread without the typical BS attached to it.

Cheers.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

Quote Originally Posted by Die-Hard View Post
    One more bad season will almost certainly begin the search, and they could very well begin the search in the coming draft if something unexpectedly falls into their lap. I dont think Nassib is the answer, so I was baffled by the pick, and still am.
    What if there were another way to look at Nassib pick? One that sort of fits in with what most have been saying in this thread.

Suppose a year ago, at the end of the season, the FO said, "Let's start looking, just in case. We don't need to hurry and we don't need to rush".

They could have picked Nassib up and thought Eli is gonna go this year, and we are going to let Nassib sit no matter what. He's gonna learn.
    If Eli/Gilbride return to top form, it cost us nothing (virtually)
    If they don't, then we are going to make changes next (this) and move him forward in the rotation if he is good enough. They already said this of Nassib, right?
    Change OC's, and Eli losses something - a leg up on understanding the offense. Both will start this season with the same footing, or at least as much as a 2 year and an 11 year guy can.

Makes that pick look a lot less baffling if even some of that is true.
    Last edited by Delicreep; 01-19-2014 at 03:05 PM.
    This space for rent

Quote Originally Posted by 9GMEN14 View Post
    Watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh9IyF9YV18

Near the end it says eli's skillset is ideal for a west coast offense.
    I think anyone who makes a claim either way is kidding themselves into thinking they actually know something.
    And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, “**** waffles.”......G Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I agree, you don't get a chance to draft Luck very often, but that doesn't address Young pushing out Montana or Hostetler pushing out Simms. I am pretty sure no one thought those guys would push their predecessor, and have success as a starter. I remember quite clearly believing that Montana would forever remain the greatest QB that ever lived. Now I watch Brady, Peyton and Brees and realize, I may have been wrong.

How many starters that could push Eli is irrelevant, they aren't going to go out and sign any of them.

I am not suggesting they should go out and try to find that next guy, just yet, I am questioning your notion that it isn't possible. At some point in every athletes career, they start to decline. Some would suggest that has already started with Eli, I don't agree with that, but when it does happen they need to have a plan in place or face some pretty rough seasons scrambling after the fact.

I understand your appreciation for Eli, but trust me, there will be other QBs that play for the Giants, and it is very likely they will eventually find one just as good or better. When that day comes, you will hear people talking about how this new guy is irreplaceable, and you will remember that you once thought the same thing about Eli, reveling in the knowledge that they too will one day learn that no one is irreplaceable.
    Everybody is replaceable. I understand that. We don't have anyone to replace him with at this point and we are not getting the top QB in the draft. I would think we are at least 2 years off. Hoss replaced Simms because of injury.
    Engage brain before speaking.

lol, it also says if the play is covered, he will patiently tuck the ball and run.... lol Very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Delicreep View Post
    What if there were another way to look at Nassib pick? One that sort of fits in with what most have been saying in this thread.

Suppose a year ago, at the end of the season, the FO said, "Let's start looking, just in case. We don't need to hurry and we don't need to rush".

They could have picked Nassib up and thought Eli is gonna go this year, and we are going to let Nassib sit no matter what. He's gonna learn.
    If they don't, then we are going to make changes next (this) and move him forward in the rotation if he is good enough. They already said this of Nassib, right?
    Change OC's, and Eli losses something - a leg up on understanding the offense. Both will start this season with the same footing, or at least as much as a 2 year and an 11 year guy can.

Thats a nice explanation, and it does indeed make it seem somewhat less baffling. Thanks!

I suggested this when he was drafted. Businesses have long term plans, what other answer would there logically be?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by speedman View Post
    Everybody is replaceable. I understand that. We don't have anyone to replace him with at this point and we are not getting the top QB in the draft. I would think we are at least 2 years off. Hoss replaced Simms because of injury.

Agreed, and that is the point I was trying to make. It may be 2, or even more, years before Eli is replaced... but he can and will be. Everyone considered the Patriots crazy for replacing Bledsoe with a 6th round draft pick... everyone was wrong. Obviously that is an extreme case, but the point being that the next great NFL QB isn't always the first round pick.

Hoss got his opportunity because of injury, the following year he was named the starter. In hind sight, not a good decision... so maybe a bad example
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I suggested this when he was drafted. Businesses have long term plans, what other answer would there logically be?
    Can't think of one.
    This space for rent

i agree with this. i never thought it was a wasted pick at all.

Coughlin using his Tablet

+ Reply to Thread