+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 289
  1. #21
    Eli is deadly when he can scan the field. How quickly people forget. As far as screens and dump offs to RB, he has done that plenty of times in his career. It's laughable to suggest he's bad at those.
    Eli Manning is better than your quarterback.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Die-Hard View Post
    Regarding your last point, even if he falters, Eli will still be the guy. He has been faltering for years, and has never had to look over his shoulder
    That is so true. If only he hadn't gone out and got those 2 SB MVP's we could probably be rid of him already!

  3. #23
    Administrator Die-Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,646
    Quote Originally Posted by nygfanmaybe View Post
    That is so true. If only he hadn't gone out and got those 2 SB MVP's we could probably be rid of him already!
    I knew that old beaten down war-horse of an excuse would be trotted out eventually. At what point in my response did you see me suggest that Eli Manning should have been gotten rid of? I merely said that he has never had anyone behind him to instill some fear of losing his job due to poor play. That is not an opinion, but a fact. He broke a franchise record for interceptions this season, once again led the entire NFL in that category, and the entire planet knew that he was never going to have to answer for it with his job. The Super Bowl MVP awards are completely meaningless in 2014, so please stop falling back on them to excuse everything else.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Die-Hard View Post
    I knew that old beaten down war-horse of an excuse would be trotted out eventually. At what point in my response did you see me suggest that Eli Manning should have been gotten rid of? I merely said that he has never had anyone behind him to instill some fear of losing his job due to poor play. That is not an opinion, but a fact. He broke a franchise record for interceptions this season, once again led the entire NFL in that category, and the entire planet knew that he was never going to have to answer for it with his job. The Super Bowl MVP awards are completely meaningless in 2014, so please stop falling back on them to excuse everything else.
    How many teams have QB's who have won 2 SB 's? It is amazing that you don't see how ridiculous your posts sound considering the past success.
    Last edited by nygfanmaybe; 01-18-2014 at 12:12 PM.

  5. #25
    All-Pro Sundown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10,778
    I really think everyone is over thinking things. Personally I think he'll do fine so long the line is fixed. At the end of the day if Eli has a clean pocket and ample time to scan the field it doesn't matter what system is used, so yes he can thrive in a west coast system too.

  6. #26
    Administrator Die-Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,646
    Quote Originally Posted by nygfanmaybe View Post
    How many teams have QB's who have won 2 SB 's? It is amazing that you don't see how ridiculous your posts sound considering the past success.

    The key word being "past".

    I'm far more concerned with the future of the team, not what they've already accomplished. If that is ridiculous, then call me ridiculous, but its better than living on past glories and hinging an argument on those glories to excuse present play.

  7. #27
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    6,940
    Quote Originally Posted by nygfanmaybe View Post
    How many teams have QB's who have won 2 SB 's? It is amazing that you don't see how ridiculous your posts sound considering the past success.
    Phil Simms won a SB, does that make him better than Dan Marino? Past performance is wonderful for his legacy, but it isn't an excuse for poor play now or an indication of great performance next year.

    That being said, I don't believe the offensive problems were ALL on Eli, the O-line and a system that put more on the O-line than most was clearly an issue. However, I am first and foremost a Giants fan, not a specific player. I believe he is capable of bouncing back and doing well in the new system, but if he isn't I am not apposed to finding the next QB that is. Loyalty to those that help you achieve that is a wonderful thing, but can only go so far. In the end it is about winning football games, the names on the jerseys are irrelevant.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

  8. #28
    Veteran Razur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,726
    Quote Originally Posted by nygfanmaybe View Post
    That is so true. If only he hadn't gone out and got those 2 SB MVP's we could probably be rid of him already!
    The Giants organization, has plans to get to another SB, as all the NFL teams aspire to. Hate to break it to you, but Manning isn't the only QB that can get us there, and possibly win SB MVP's. His record speaks for itself. In SB's to which the TEAM gets credit for being in, he has played at a level that showed moments of brilliance, and was recognized and awarded as such. In regular season, he has shown even more moments of terrible performances. His record is what is. If Manning can adjust to this new offense, the new OC and perform like the guy in the SB's, he may yet achieve even another MVP. But as of late, that guy hasn't been on the field. And although its nice to reminisce about the "good old days", that's pretty much left for Eli, coaches the owners, and their families to really relish, as fans, who live in EACH season, we are not buying tickets to games to watch tape of days gone by. Eli earned his award, and he has earned the criticism he now faces.

  9. #29
    A few thoughts (my feelings about Eli put aside).

    Most fans have been crying for years that Eli is best in the 2 minute or hurry up offense and now we think he'll stink in an up-tempo offense?

    I can't see the Giants benching any player they are paying 20 million dollars. Just can't see it.

    Sooner or later he will be done. Simms career ended before it should have.

    And on THAT note, I have a feeling when Eli is done we will miss him as much as Phil, unless we are very fortunate.

  10. #30
    All-Pro Delicreep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    5,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Razur View Post
    The Giants organization, has plans to get to another SB, as all the NFL teams aspire to. Hate to break it to you, but Manning isn't the only QB that can get us there, and possibly win SB MVP's. His record speaks for itself. In SB's to which the TEAM gets credit for being in, he has played at a level that showed moments of brilliance, and was recognized and awarded as such. In regular season, he has shown even more moments of terrible performances. His record is what is. If Manning can adjust to this new offense, the new OC and perform like the guy in the SB's, he may yet achieve even another MVP. But as of late, that guy hasn't been on the field. And although its nice to reminisce about the "good old days", that's pretty much left for Eli, coaches the owners, and their families to really relish, as fans, who live in EACH season, we are not buying tickets to games to watch tape of days gone by. Eli earned his award, and he has earned the criticism he now faces.
    Nice post.

    I would be tempted to add that Eli has achieved enough to warrant the faith and the opportunity to flourish again*. But no one has earned a blank check in that regard, and the organization must consider and plan for an Eli-less future.






    *if anyone can tell me what they base future performance on if it is not going to be past performance, I would appreciate that.
    So would every front office, stock broker, investor and pretty much everyone on the planet who makes these types of decisions.
    This space for rent

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts