+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 289
  1. #71
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    6,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    Why did we just not extend them?
    Hmmm... there could be a great market for the "sports walker".
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

  2. #72
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    6,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Delicreep View Post
    Not that I want to continue to hit the middle ground, but Eli's current salary is based on post season success AND the assumption that he could get there again.
    I absolutely agree... this is essentially what I said in the beginning and nygfanmaybe took exception to the "and the assumption that he could get there again" part.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

  3. #73
    All-Pro GameTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    No mans land
    Posts
    24,310
    the Giants love Eli but I bet they don't do anything with his contract just yet. They want to see the results of this change
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

  4. #74
    Administrator Die-Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,694
    Quote Originally Posted by nygfanmaybe View Post
    No...that is not how it works. Eli got paid because of what he did...not what he is gonna do. If he doesn't win, he may not even be here still, like mentioned earlier. They base his worth on his production. FACT!
    All due respect, but that may be the most illogical load of rubbish I've seen in quite some time. You are essentially saying that it doesn't mater what he does going forward, which only proves that you literally care about nothing but the past, and not the future, which is laughably insane. Again, no disrespect intended, but that is exactly how it reads.

  5. #75
    Eli should be in the prime of his career at this point imo especially playing the same offense much of his pro career.

    the new changes will wake him up cuz it is "change". the Gilbride offense was lackadaisical and stale, running the same plays over and over for 7-8-9 years would make anyone stale.

    the new offense will get his attention but with his experience he should have no problem adapting to the changes.

  6. #76
    He better flourish. I don't want to see 5 out of 6 years no playoffs...

  7. #77
    All-Pro Roosevelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    1925 Giants Drive
    Posts
    14,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Razur View Post
    This new offense is not being brought in to "fit" Eli. It's being installed to change what is widely recognized as a stale, predictable scheme. Whether Eli can benefit from it, will be entirely on him. If he doesn't, another QB will. If Eli "thrives" in it, all the better. As some have pointed out. All of our QB's will be drilling on it, and that levels the playing field with regards to who it fits, as each will have a shot at demonstrating how well they perform in it. If Eli rises to the top, then he's THE guy, if he fails, then he won't be.

    Eli must be part of the equation since it's the most important position on the team..

    There is no point in developing a new system that is not suited to his strengths.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

    Torque it till it breaks, then back off a quarter turn.

  8. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Die-Hard View Post
    All due respect, but that may be the most illogical load of rubbish I've seen in quite some time. You are essentially saying that it doesn't mater what he does going forward, which only proves that you literally care about nothing but the past, and not the future, which is laughably insane. Again, no disrespect intended, but that is exactly how it reads.
    You know, there are a great many first round busts that were paid for what they were going to do going forward. It's a bit risky paying for what you think someone is going to do when you can't possibly know the future, don't you think?
    Of course Eli got paid for what he did, just as Flacco did.

  9. #79
    All-Pro Roosevelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    1925 Giants Drive
    Posts
    14,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Razur View Post
    Agree on that he has never had to look back before...and I think that may have been partially due to the fact that he had a huge cushion around him, KG, the playbook, TC..but that has been dramatically changed now. KG is gone and we assume most of his playbook. TC has endorsed McAdoo and his "uptempo" plan, and has also got behind it to say, if players are scrambling to get it , then GOOD..let 'em ..puts a fire under their arses..and I;m convinced that meant to include Manning. I think we are going to see more eye brow raising choices made in 2014, And I don't think Manning is going to get coddled and a free pass ( no pun) anymore. He has to get it, and if looks like he isn't and somebody else is, and making it work...he should warm the pine. I think this pre-season is going to be a very tell-all one..
    From what I read about McAdoo I have to agree. It sounds like he will challenge Eli, and he's the perfect person to do it.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

    Torque it till it breaks, then back off a quarter turn.

  10. #80
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    6,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Cusen View Post
    You know, there are a great many first round busts that were paid for what they were going to do going forward. It's a bit risky paying for what you think someone is going to do when you can't possibly know the future, don't you think?
    Of course Eli got paid for what he did, just as Flacco did.
    Those first round busts were paid based on what they did in college and the belief that it would translate into the NFL. Your point is valid, but those first round busts are prefect examples of basing your entire decision on past performance and ignores the primary goal... to win now and into the future. Flacco was paid because of the SB, AND the belief that he would continue to play well and give them the chance to win again. If they didn't believe that, then signing Flacco to a big contract was a bad decision. No smart team would give away huge chunks of cash to a player if they didn't think he was able to play.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts