+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fanspeak BPA mocks

Every week I'm going to do a mock draft through the Fanspeak On the Clock site (LINK). I'm basically going to take the best player available, but not quite. Here's the 3 rules I've imposed on this:

1) No taking any QB (ever), DT or S before the 4th round.
    2) Once a position has been selected, no more selections from that position except for OL.
    3) If an OG or C is available in the first 5 eligible picks on the board at any round and no OL has been selected yet, select that OL instead. Tackles are not selected by this rule, but if they fall in the top spot they can be selected.

I'm not going to put my own biases into this (personally I feel we should draft LB in the first and OG in the second), this is all completely BPA-based, to get a sense of what that would look like. I will post in this thread on a weekly basis to reflect changes in player rankings.

Now, for the 1/20 program:
    Last edited by Toadofsteel; 01-22-2014 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckKnoxx View Post
    Whatever [Tom Quinn] says to keep a near decade long job has to be truly inspirational for him not to be working at IKEA right now.

Goddamnit, i hate my family sometimes... calling me away before I can complete my posts.

Anyway, here's the first go around:

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/draft.php?d=gduklw

R1
    ILB C.J. MOSLEY
    ALABAMA

R2
    CB JUSTIN GILBERT
    OKLAHOMA STATE

R3
    RB KA’DEEM CAREY
    ARIZONA

R4
    DE ED STINSON
    ALABAMA

R5
    WR CODY LATIMER
    INDIANA

R6
    TE JOE DON DUNCAN
    DIXIE STATE

There was a lot of reaching for OL in the program by other teams, resulting that even with my additional rule to encourage more OL selection, no OL were picked.
    Last edited by Toadofsteel; 01-20-2014 at 07:43 PM.

Whatever [Tom Quinn] says to keep a near decade long job has to be truly inspirational for him not to be working at IKEA right now.

Love the first 3. Check out oklahoma's Jalen Saunders. I've been keeping and eye on him and Mayock spoke highly about him during the Senior bowl practice. He's undersized at 5-9/164, but dynamic and tough like Dexter McCluster or Darren Sproles. He should be available anywhere from 4-6. I like him better than Latimer. Latimer has drops and is a poor route runner even though he's a big target. The shift toward big DBs allows a slot receiver like Jalen to break ankles and separate - he'll be a poor mans Wes Welker. Word.
    Last edited by flimflam; 01-21-2014 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    Goddamnit, i hate my family sometimes... calling me away before I can complete my posts.

Anyway, here's the first go around:

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/draft.php?d=gduklw

R1
    ILB C.J. MOSLEY
    ALABAMA

R2
    CB JUSTIN GILBERT
    OKLAHOMA STATE

R3
    RB KA’DEEM CAREY
    ARIZONA

R4
    DE ED STINSON
    ALABAMA

R5
    WR CODY LATIMER
    INDIANA

R6
    TE JOE DON DUNCAN
    DIXIE STATE

There was a lot of reaching for OL in the program by other teams, resulting that even with my additional rule to encourage more OL selection, no OL were picked.
    I love everything but the 4th rounder who I do not know much about.

S/O to Flip Empty for the sig

OT GREG ROBINSON
    AUBURN
    RB TRE MASON
    AUBURN
    CB KYLE FULLER
    VIRGINIA TECH
    DE JACKSON JEFFCOAT
    TEXAS
    OLB JORDAN TRIPP
    MONTANA
    S NICKOE WHITLEY
    MISSISSIPPI STATE

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/draft.php?d=afwxlu

That is how mine turned out following the same rules.. I like yours better haha

Lol... Robinson went #9 on mine... OLs just went mad early when I did this; everyone was reaching for them...

Quote Originally Posted by flimflam View Post
    Love the first 3. Check out oklahoma's Jalen Saunders. I've been keeping and eye on him and Mayock spoke highly about him during the Senior bowl practice. He's undersized at 5-9/164, but dynamic and tough like Dexter McCluster or Darren Sproles. He should be available anywhere from 4-6. I like him better than Latimer. Latimer has drops and is a poor route runner even though he's a big target. The shift toward big DBs allows a slot receiver like Jalen to break ankles and separate - he'll be a poor mans Wes Welker. Word.
    Did you read the OP though? The main premise of this is to try and determine what a mostly-BPA draft would actually look like...

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    Lol... Robinson went #9 on mine... OLs just went mad early when I did this; everyone was reaching for them...
    I was pissed because I had to take Mason in the 2nd but Charles Sims who personally is one of my favorite if not my favorite RB in the draft was still available in the 4th. I mean Zack Martin was available in the 2nd.. If I could have taken him in the 2nd and Sims in the 4th I would have been more happy with that because we would have gotten two really good OL prospects and then a solid RB as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NYGfanSTRICK View Post
    I was pissed because I had to take Mason in the 2nd but Charles Sims who personally is one of my favorite if not my favorite RB in the draft was still available in the 4th. I mean Zack Martin was available in the 2nd.. If I could have taken him in the 2nd and Sims in the 4th I would have been more happy with that because we would have gotten two really good OL prospects and then a solid RB as well.
    All part of the thought experiment... people just say reese likes to go BPA, so why not put the theory to the test?

Here's another one I ended up with

R1
    WR MIKE EVANS
    TEXAS A&M

R2
    RB LACHE SEASTRUNK
    BAYLOR

R3
    DE CHRIS SMITH
    ARKANSAS

R4
    C MARCUS MARTIN
    USC

R5
    CB SHAQUILLE RICHARDSON
    ARIZONA

R6
    TE JOE DON DUNCAN
    DIXIE STATE