+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: TE-2014

Quote Originally Posted by hugehomer View Post
    Nothing special about a TE who drops 11 1/2 percent of his catches.
    I do agree the drops are a problem. They seem to be a concentration issue as he has no problem making circus catches. My referring to him as special comes more from his ability to run routes, shake defenders, and lastly his ability to make yards after the catch, which is better than most WRs.

I still have reservation about taking him 12th. His drops and lack of experience blocking inline drop his value for me.

Niklas in the 2nd.. Fiedorowicz in the 3rd... I'd be happy with either

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    Niklas in the 2nd.. Fiedorowicz in the 3rd... I'd be happy with either
    I second that! I think both are very good blockers and can provide enough in the pass game.
    One day, not today, not tomorrow, not this season, probably not next season either but one day, you and I are gonna wake up and suddenly we're gonna be like every other team in every other sport where winning is everything and nothing else matters. And when that day comes, well thats, thats when we'll honor them--Jack Lengyel Marshall University

Pine Barrens, NJ.. where we still hunt dinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    You know whats annoying, being labeled a hater for tlaking about someone in a negative way. I dont hate. I express how I feel. Now I am sure you have seen much more than I have from him in game situations, but I hjave seen highlights and lowlights and just formed an opinion off that. I saw some bad thrown balls, but I saw some big drops as well. I dont think any RB or TE is worth the #12 pick. We won 2 superbowls with Boss, Ballard and Pascoe. I wouldnt trade our #12 pick for Jimmy Graham, Gronk or Vernan Davis. How many rings have they won by the way?
    Don't take the word hater too serious. Not trading our 12 for a proven top nfl talent is absolutely absurd. Nothing surprises me around here. Teams win championships not players, guys like Davis, Graham, and Gronk are part of the reason their teams are consistently contenders.

"Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by TAILGATIN' View Post
    Don't take the word hater too serious. Not trading our 12 for a proven top nfl talent is absolutely absurd. Nothing surprises me around here. Teams win championships not players, guys like Davis, Graham, and Gronk are part of the reason their teams are consistently contenders.
    I agree they help, but the very fact we can win without them to me de values them and makes them not worth the #12 pick unless we are a great TE away from being a monster, which we are not. And if you think Gronk, Graham and Davis are the reasons those teams are contenders, check out what they were doing before those guys came in. Pats were winning Superbowls, BRADY and BELICHECK are the reasons. Saints won it all before Graham. BREES and PEYTON are the reason. Davis was nearly kicked off the team before a great coach came along.

5trive for Fiv5

I agree they help, but the very fact we can win without them to me de values them and makes them not worth the #12 pick unless we are a great TE away from being a monster, which we are not. And if you think Gronk, Graham and Davis are the reasons those teams are contenders, check out what they were doing before those guys came in. Pats were winning Superbowls, BRADY and BELICHECK are the reasons. Saints won it all before Graham. BREES and PEYTON are the reason. Davis was nearly kicked off the team before a great coach came along.
    You could say the same about Mike Evans who compares to Vincent Jackson or Alshon Jeffrey... none of them have won a Super Bowl so we don't need Evans. Or Donald who compares to Genoa Atkins... he hasn't one a Super Bowl so we don't need Donald.

I understand what you mean but I don't necessarily agree with it. I mean you are entitled to your own opinion so I'm not going to bash it. I think Ebron is a rare TE who could help out a position that is a major need and he would open stuff up for the WR's. His "poor" blocking is exaggerated. A lot of people make it seem like people get by him 90% of the time. He has been working on that area of his game and the team that drafts him will continue to develop his blocking. As for the drops.. people make it sound like he has stone hands but a lot are very poor placed balls. Don't get me wrong I have seen some pretty bad drops but they were focus drops like Cruz seems to have multiple on week 1 each year. I am not going to worry about 8 drops or his blocking that he's working on and can continue to develop over the years

S/O to Flip Empty for the sig

Pine Barrens, NJ.. where we still hunt dinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYGfanSTRICK View Post
    You could say the same about Mike Evans who compares to Vincent Jackson or Alshon Jeffrey... none of them have won a Super Bowl so we don't need Evans. Or Donald who compares to Genoa Atkins... he hasn't one a Super Bowl so we don't need Donald.

I understand what you mean but I don't necessarily agree with it. I mean you are entitled to your own opinion so I'm not going to bash it. I think Ebron is a rare TE who could help out a position that is a major need and he would open stuff up for the WR's. His "poor" blocking is exaggerated. A lot of people make it seem like people get by him 90% of the time. He has been working on that area of his game and the team that drafts him will continue to develop his blocking. As for the drops.. people make it sound like he has stone hands but a lot are very poor placed balls. Don't get me wrong I have seen some pretty bad drops but they were focus drops like Cruz seems to have multiple on week 1 each year. I am not going to worry about 8 drops or his blocking that he's working on and can continue to develop over the years
    Spot on post, I've watched Cruz drop more good passes than Ebron this year. A TE will only help not hinder a team

"Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NYGfanSTRICK View Post

You obviously have no idea what I mean by reading your first paragraph. I rank WRs a lot higher on the value chart than TEs or RBs. Same with DTs or DEs. Those are positions I would always consider in the first if the right player came along. TE and RB I would not.

Maybe in our new system, the TE is more important and we need a TE like Ebron. Until I see it I wont know. One thing is for sure, Gilbride's TEs were not that talented and not very important. You could find one on the street and plug and play.
    Last edited by TheAnalyst; 04-08-2014 at 01:36 PM.

5trive for Fiv5

You obviously have no idea what I mean by reading your first paragraph. I rank WRs a lot higher on the value chart than TEs or RBs. Same with DTs or DEs. Those are positions I would always consider in the first if the right player came along. TE and RB I would not.
    I know that you meant that I have read your posts... I am saying when you say that a TE won't help us win a SB because the top TE's haven't won one... I continued to say that I didn't agree with the statement because you could say the same for guys like Donald and Evans..

That is fine if you rank WR's higher and DT's higher... I can understand that. When you factor in that we don't have a TE that is worth starting and the Giants and obviously showing a lot of trust in Randle and JJ. I would rank TE more of a priority. You can get an elite TE talent in Ebron in round 1. There are still guys who are very good talents in the 2nd round in this draft at the WR position. Jordan Matthews, Allen Robinson, Davante Adams, etc.. could all be there in the 2nd round when we pick.

IMO it is Donald vs Ebron... Evans will more than likely be gone. Donald is a great talent but I feel far more confident in the DT position right now when compared to the TE position. Donald might not start if he is picked. That has to be considered... he will make an impact no doubt but will he make as much of an impact as a guy like Ebron will have on the offense instantly? That's all I'm saying

S/O to Flip Empty for the sig

Maybe in our new system, the TE is more important and we need a TE like Ebron. Until I see it I wont know. One thing is for sure, Gilbride's TEs were not that talented and not very important. You could find one on the street and plug and play.
    i think your second paragraph is the most important part of this whole conversation. Weve all grown accustomed to not having a valued TE from the Gilbride offense. and weve been in that offense for 7 years. we have a whole new offense coming in so that could very well change. And McAdoo has a history of TEs and the GB offense used the TE how Ebron would more than likely have to be used to be successful. The 1st part with Gilbride is why people think we can get a TE later and should avoid Ebron, the 2nd part with GB offense n McAdoo being a former TE coach is why people believe Ebron is the best choice for us.

my point i been trying to say the whole time is, we dont know what this offense will be like. everyone thinks they know whats best for the team weather we should take Ebron in round 1 or wait for like Niklas or someone later, but the fact is none of us know and none of us know whats best for this offense yet, because not one single person has an idea what the offense will even look like.

who the Giants draft at TE and where they're drafted will tell A LOT about how this offense will be used, and the same could go for WR as in who and where the WR is drafted. if we get a guy like Ebron, ASJ, or Amaro you can bet well be one of those teams that utilizes the TE in the slot often and is a focal point of the offense. if we draft Niklas or Friedowicz or whatever then we could be seeing more inline TE like were used to seeing. Where TE is drafted and the player who is selected will tell everything about how McAdoo plans to use the TE position. If we draft a WR in round 1 though like Evans you can bet that the WR will be the most important part of the passing game as it was in Gilbrides offense.

This draft will tell us a lot about how this offense plans to go for this upcoming season.