+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Strick's Offseason Mock 3.0

Well it is time for my weekly mock.. The East-West Shrine game is concluded and now it is Senior Bowl time. In this mock I am going to try and mix it up and use all new players after round 1.

IMO the Giants needs in order.. (Interior OL, OLB, RB, CB, TE, WR, DE)

1st round- Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan St- He is possibly my favorite player in the draft and I have been a fan of him for most of the year. He can do it all and would be a really nice player to have next to Prince. I am a bit worried that he will be taken by Detroit but there is still a pretty good chance that he is available when we are picking in round 1

2nd round- Cyril Richardson OG Baylor- He is a huge guy (listed at 6'5 348). Although Donald sat him down in 1 on 1 drills I still like him a lot and would be an instant upgrade over our current Guard situation.

3rd round- Charles Sims RB West Virginia- He is the complete package at RB and I think he would be a very good pick in the 3rd. With David Wilson's future unsure I think it is time that we start preparing a plan in case he cannot play football again. I have seen comparisons on this board and by some writers saying that Sims reminds them of Matt Forte who is one of my favorite RB's in the NFL because he can do everything well. If we are going to be running an up-tempo offense I think it would be nice to have a RB who can catch out of the backfield. Sims would be a nice fit for us IMO

4th round- Christian Kirksey OLB Iowa- I have watched quite a few Iowa games (more last year than this year) and Kirksey looks like a guy who can cover really well for a LB. I think that is something we could really use from the LB position. I went to the Iowa vs Nebraska game and he was lined up with WR's in the slot a lot of the game. He also is nice when he is sent on blitzes. Last year watching him I thought really one of the only negatives I saw in him was that he was small for a LB. He is now about 235 which is good to see that he is around the average weight for the LB's in the draft.

5th round- Joe Don Duncan TE Dixie St- He is a pretty big guy and went to a small school. I think because of guys like Ebron, ASJ, Niklas, Fiedorowicz some of the other TE's are going to fall like Blanchflower, Jensen, and Duncan. Duncan appears to be a nice receiving TE and has the size to be a solid blocker as well. I think he could become a nice weapon in this new offense.

6th round- Ethan Westbrooks DE West Texas A&M- He caught my eye at the East-West game with 2 sacks. He had crazy stats last season where he recorded 19 sacks I believe. This season wasn't as great compared to last year with only 7 sacks but he looked nice at the Shrine game. I would not mind taking a late round flyer on a guy like Westbrooks who could turn out to be a nice pass rusher in the league.

S/O to Flip Empty for the sig

I think Detroit takes Dennard also... local kid to a needy CB team.. Love the Sims pick.. he is becoming my favorite RB prospect this year

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    I think Detroit takes Dennard also... local kid to a needy CB team.. Love the Sims pick.. he is becoming my favorite RB prospect this year
    I am really getting the feeling that we are not going to have a lot of the players that we would have imagined. I hope that there are 3-4 QB's taken before we pick so that will give us a pretty decent shot at Dennard or someone like Mack/Barr possibly falling. I honestly could see us going OL in the first which I wouldn't be the biggest fan of but I mean I wasn't the biggest fan of the Pugh pick right away because I thought it was a bit of a reach but he turned out really well.

Really like Sims.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    Really like Sims.
    He has really grown on me. I was a big Hyde fan but then I started looking more into Sims and I think he has became my favorite RB because of his ability to perform well at all the things you would want out of a RB

Richardson has had his @$$ handed to him wouldn't take him

I think we could get Joe Don Duncan in the 6th... he keeps showing up there when i do computer mocks...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen43 View Post
    Richardson has had his @$$ handed to him wouldn't take him
    "My pad level is getting down lower. It helps out," Richardson said.

A number of Richardson's teammates on the North squad offensive line come from more traditional offenses that huddle and run the ball more, so their adjustments may not be quite as stark as his. Nevertheless, Richardson isn't lacking for confidence.

"I'm dominant. I love being dominant, and I will be dominant in anything I do," he said. "I'm relentless at what I do, and I'm not going to let anything hold me back."

I think he will be fine. I love his confidence

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    I think we could get Joe Don Duncan in the 6th... he keeps showing up there when i do computer mocks...
    Yeah there is a good chance that is true. I just picked him because I wanted to get a TE and DE in those last two rounds and there wasn't a TE projected in the 5th that I haven't already mocked besides Duncan. There weren't any DE's I really liked projected 5th round either

In my first mock, and in my Version 3, I have Dennard going first and Van Noy going 2nd as you have. Nth else would be great picks, we need a stud at CB, period and at LB. I feel like we can fill in our O-line with free agency, and find a RB and TE in the later rounds. Also, I posted a thread about picking Dennard with our 12, which I would love. I'm this pass happy league, look how far good defenses got teams-Carolina, SF, and of course, Seattle.