+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Does defense still win championships in the NFL?

Sitting here watching the BCS Championship and these 2 defenses is pretty amazing. Especially with some of the crazy bowl games this year with all the high scoring games. In the end, the 2 best defenses are playing the for championship. Well at least without actually having a playoff to officially decide things, like the big boys do. And even some of the littler boys.

Will that happen in the NFL this year, or is this the year we see a 45-41 Super Bowl score? When we beat NE in the SB, at that time a lot of people thought that was the best offense ever.Statisically you could make the arguement.The Giants showed that a dominant defenseand pash rush could stop that.. Now, I think both GB and NO are better offensively than that team, maybe quite a bit better. Hell, the Giants offense, when it's clicking, is comparable. There has never been a year like this in the NFL offensively,that's obvious.

So in the end, will it be the best defensive teams in the final four? If you believe that, then the Giants should be heading to SF in a couple weeks. And Denver will be playing Baltimore/ Although Houston's defense may be as good as the Ravens. Or is this the year where offenses are just so good, that teams like GB and NO have too many weapons and options,.That they havetwo great QB's who will be able to score more points than anyone else. I'd like to think we have a QB who can do the same.

The next couple weeks are going to be interesting. I'd like to believe that before this season is over, the teams with the best defenses are going to be there in the end. Defense wins championships, right? I guess we'll see.

Re: Does defense still win championships in the NFL?

[quote user="OrangeGiant"]

Sitting here watching the BCS Championship and these 2 defenses is pretty amazing. Especially with some of the crazy bowl games this year with all the high scoring games. In the end, the 2 best defenses are playing the for championship. Well at least without actually having a playoff to officially decide things, like the big boys do. And even some of the littler boys.

Will that happen in the NFL this year, or is this the year we see a 45-41 Super Bowl score? When we beat NE in the SB, at that time a lot of people thought that was the best offense ever.Statisically you could make the arguement.The Giants showed that a dominant defenseand pash rush could stop that.. Now, I think both GB and NO are better offensively than that team, maybe quite a bit better. Hell, the Giants offense, when it's clicking, is comparable. There has never been a year like this in the NFL offensively,that's obvious.

So in the end, will it be the best defensive teams in the final four? If you believe that, then the Giants should be heading to SF in a couple weeks. And Denver will be playing Baltimore/ Although Houston's defense may be as good as the Ravens. Or is this the year where offenses are just so good, that teams like GB and NO have too many weapons and options,.That they havetwo great QB's who will be able to score more points than anyone else. I'd like to think we have a QB who can do the same.

The next couple weeks are going to be interesting. I'd like to believe that before this season is over, the teams with the best defenses are going to be there in the end. Defense wins championships, right? I guess we'll see.

[/quote]

guess we will find out.....

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Have to admit, it would be cool to see a Giants-49ers rematch in the NFC Championship. The last time that happened, Pat Summerall was saying-"There will be no 3-peat.

[quote user="OrangeGiant"]Have to admit, it would be cool to see a Giants-49ers rematch in the NFC Championship. The last time that happened, Pat Summerall was saying-"There will be no 3-peat.[/quote]
    oh yeah! What a game. Gonna put on the DVD right now.

[quote user="fourth&forever"][quote user="OrangeGiant"]Have to admit, it would be cool to see a Giants-49ers rematch in the NFC Championship. The last time that happened, Pat Summerall was saying-"There will be no 3-peat.[/quote] oh yeah! What a game. Gonna put on the DVD right now.[/quote]

Crazy as it might sound, that is my favorite Giants memory, even though it wasn't a SB win. Summerall getting that jab in and stopping that team from a 3-peat was awesome.

I am thoroughly enjoying watching some actual defense in a football game. Why can't the NFL let people play like this. There isn't a flag on every hit near the sidelines, and the DB's are allowed to touch the receiver.

If anyone whines that this is a boring game because "there arent n e pointz!11", get out.

Veteran

[quote user="OrangeGiant"]

[quote user="fourth&forever"][quote user="OrangeGiant"]Have to admit, it would be cool to see a Giants-49ers rematch in the NFC Championship. The last time that happened, Pat Summerall was saying-"There will be no 3-peat.[/quote] oh yeah! What a game. Gonna put on the DVD right now.[/quote]

Crazy as it might sound, that is my favorite Giants memory, even though it wasn't a SB win. Summerall getting that jab in and stopping that team from a 3-peat was awesome.

[/quote]

Greatest Summerall line after Montana is knocked out by Marshall. The word on Montana from the sideline is "everything hurts"

Veteran

This was a weird year, but, it's not like Green Bay had a horrible defense last year. They were pretty decent. And the Jets D did beat the Pats O last year...

This year has just been... very strange.

This is a tremendous question and nobody's answering it. I was going to ask the same exact thing. I would like to think defense still wins games. I just traded jabs with my college room mate who lives in Green Bay and is a cheesehead. He said we have no chance, we already got beat by them once, and Rodgers isn't Favre, we have no answers for his passing game. I would like to think three or four body slams to the ground shakes him enough to throw his game off. I enjoy nothing more than smash mouth defensive Giants football, you can keep your ariel attacks and so forth, I want to see that D shut down Rodgers.
    Just when I don't think it can get any worse, I think of you Ray Handjob. I have been to the abyss....thank you for helping me stay positive.

All-Pro

In today's NFL? nope, NFL has rigged to rules for offenses, for ratings and money....