+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Giants' NFL Draft: OL Zack Martin Works His Way Into Top 15 Mix?

  1. #1
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    99,245

    Giants' NFL Draft: OL Zack Martin Works His Way Into Top 15 Mix?

    http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...op_15_mix.html

    Excerpt: "Offensive linemen, offensive linemen, offensive linemen. That's all you seem to want for the Giants in the NFL Draft.

    Can't blame you. The Giants only have one lineman that can be penciled in as a starter for next season.

    So, not surprisingly, you sent me back for more. Over 71 percent of your votes were for me to watch the two offensive lineman choices closely during Wednesday’s Senior Bowl practice.

    But the winner in the voting and with his play on the field was Notre Dame offensive tackle Zack Martin. He had his third straight strong day of work in Mobile.

    Calling Martin an offensive tackle may be a misrepresentation when all is said and done. The 6-foot-4, 305-pound lineman rotated between left tackle and left guard on Wednesday. He looked fluid at both positions.

    Here's what I saw:

    Pros: Excellent technique and good footwork. Always seems to be balanced and with a strong base. Not a mauler but has sufficient power. Light on his feet and able to handle some speed around the edge. Plays low and uses his hands well to fight off pass rushers both on the outside and inside.

    Cons: Not a premium athlete for a left tackle. Could struggle with top athletes on the professional level. Sufficient but not excellent strength. Could be susceptible to bull rushes. Short arms." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  2. #2
    All-Pro Carter.525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Omaha!, NJ
    Posts
    8,793
    my favorite Martin.. best interior lineman in this draft, possible OT if Beatty is still hurting.... or sucks again

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...op_15_mix.html

    Excerpt: "Offensive linemen, offensive linemen, offensive linemen. That's all you seem to want for the Giants in the NFL Draft.

    Can't blame you. The Giants only have one lineman that can be penciled in as a starter for next season.

    So, not surprisingly, you sent me back for more. Over 71 percent of your votes were for me to watch the two offensive lineman choices closely during Wednesday’s Senior Bowl practice.

    But the winner in the voting and with his play on the field was Notre Dame offensive tackle Zack Martin. He had his third straight strong day of work in Mobile.

    Calling Martin an offensive tackle may be a misrepresentation when all is said and done. The 6-foot-4, 305-pound lineman rotated between left tackle and left guard on Wednesday. He looked fluid at both positions.

    Here's what I saw:

    Pros: Excellent technique and good footwork. Always seems to be balanced and with a strong base. Not a mauler but has sufficient power. Light on his feet and able to handle some speed around the edge. Plays low and uses his hands well to fight off pass rushers both on the outside and inside.

    Cons: Not a premium athlete for a left tackle. Could struggle with top athletes on the professional level. Sufficient but not excellent strength. Could be susceptible to bull rushes. Short arms." Read more...
    I dont see an elite talent player when I watch Martin on tape. If im taking a Guard high he better run over people. I get that from Greg Robinson dont get that from Martin

  4. #4
    I don't think versatility pushes any lineman into the top 15. You're either confident he is a starter at one position [left tackle] or not. I know people will reference Pugh, but the draft classes and position are hardly comparable.

  5. #5
    All-Pro titwio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bronx NYC
    Posts
    9,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    I dont see an elite talent player when I watch Martin on tape. If im taking a Guard high he better run over people. I get that from Greg Robinson dont get that from Martin
    Was just going to post something similar. I don't get the "wow" factor from him. Even though I didn't like DJ Fluker last year, you could see the mean streak and upside. I'm not so sure with Martin. The pick would be very meh imo anywhere for him in the top 15.

  6. #6
    All-Pro TCHOF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    6,024
    Can't we just have one OL who IS a mauler????

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by titwio View Post
    Was just going to post something similar. I don't get the "wow" factor from him. Even though I didn't like DJ Fluker last year, you could see the mean streak and upside. I'm not so sure with Martin. The pick would be very meh imo anywhere for him in the top 15.
    I would say Pughs college tape was better

  8. #8
    Veteran Plaxicofan7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Metlife Stadium
    Posts
    1,039
    I like Martin, but definitely not at 12. I would take him at 44, though.

    We need a game-changer at 12, in my opinion. I'm hoping we can fill most of our OL woes in free agency.

  9. #9
    I like Martin, but he's kind of redundant with Pugh already. I don't think he's going to be a guard despite what draftniks say. He's like Pugh, he's played tackle all along and been good at it, no saying he'd be a better guard. I'd much rather we target Gabe Jackson in the 2nd if we're looking for a guard, no need to over draft a tackle to transition to guard, when pure guards can be had for less.

  10. #10
    All-Pro Carter.525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Omaha!, NJ
    Posts
    8,793
    If JR goes o-line in the 1st and Kouandjio, Lewan and Martin are the best available.. How do you rank them?

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts